Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on October 23, 2021, 04:59:08 AM
Last year I bought a used copy of a CD where Sergei Babayan (!!) plays the Vine First Sonata coupled with Messiaen. Definitely worth seeking.

(Haha "skull soap")

Yes, I've heard Babayan's version and it's perhaps the best I've heard.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on October 23, 2021, 11:11:49 AM
Clementi is one of my musical heroes. The disc played by Olivier Cavé is a gem. I don't know the other two though.
Thanks for mentioning this CD; I just listened to some of it on youtube.  Lovely!  :)

PD

p.s.  Didn't know much about Clementi, but looking at Wiki, I see that he spent much of his life in England (originally born in Italy).

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 24, 2021, 10:14:45 AM
Thanks for mentioning this CD; I just listened to some of it on youtube.  Lovely!  :)

PD

p.s.  Didn't know much about Clementi, but looking at Wiki, I see that he spent much of his life in England (originally born in Italy).

He came to England in his teens and stayed there the rest of his life. He was a renowned composer, piano virtuoso, teacher, pianoforte builder and music publisher. A one man music industry !

SimonNZ

At the secondhand store:

and also:

"Waxing the Gospel: Mass Evangelism and the Phonograph, 1890-1900"

100 pages of history followed by 200 pages of track descriptions followed by 100 pages of appendices..

JBS

Visited a used CD/book store in Fort Lauderdale. Results included
--a live Bruckner 8 under Furtwangler from Berlin 1949
--Roy Harris Symphonies 3 and 4 under Alsop
--a double CD of American string quartets mostly from the late 19th/early 20th century, but including Benjamin Franklin's effort at a string quartet composed entirely on open strings
And a bunch of operas:
Rossini: Ermione
Rossini: Zelmira
Spohr: Faust (first version, on Capriccio)
Gounod: Faust (Hadley and Ramey conducted by Carlo Rizzi)
Verdi: Giovanni d'Arco (Caballe/Domingo/Milnes under Levine)
Lortzing: Undine (with Prey, Gedda and others)
Faure: Penelope (Norman and van Dam under Dutoit)

Both Rossini operas are conducted by Scimone, and include Cecilia Gasdi in the cast. She's also the female lead in the Gounod.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on October 24, 2021, 05:37:17 PM

Giovanni?  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on October 24, 2021, 05:37:17 PM
Visited a used CD/book store in Fort Lauderdale. Results included
--a live Bruckner 8 under Furtwangler from Berlin 1949
--Roy Harris Symphonies 3 and 4 under Alsop
--a double CD of American string quartets mostly from the late 19th/early 20th century, but including Benjamin Franklin's effort at a string quartet composed entirely on open strings
And a bunch of operas:
Rossini: Ermione
Rossini: Zelmira
Spohr: Faust (first version, on Capriccio)
Gounod: Faust (Hadley and Ramey conducted by Carlo Rizzi)
Lortzing: Undine (with Prey, Gedda and others)
Faure: Penelope (Norman and van Dam under Dutoit)

Both Rossini operas are conducted by Scimone, and include Cecilia Gasdi in the cast. She's also the female lead in the Gounod.
Sounds like you had a fun day out!  :)

Quote from: Florestan on October 25, 2021, 04:52:34 AM
Giovanni?  :laugh:
Hey, we all make goofs.   ;)

PD

ritter

From FNAC in Madrid:

Possibly (nay, very probably  ;)) more Saint-Saëns —34 CDs— than I'm willing to listen to, but the price was right, my interest in French music justifies a deeper exploration of the composer's music and, who knows, I might be in for some pleasant surprises.  :)

71 dB

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2021, 05:36:19 AM
From FNAC in Madrid:

Possibly (nay, very probably  ;)) more Saint-Saëns —34 CDs— than I'm willing to listen to, but the price was right, my interest in French music justifies a deeper exploration of the composer's music and, who knows, I might be in for some pleasant surprises.  :)

Nice box! Hope you enjoy it and maybe even find out that 34 CDs of Camille Saint-Saëns actually isn't too much.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

ritter

Quote from: 71 dB on October 25, 2021, 08:05:12 AM
Nice box! Hope you enjoy it and maybe even find out that 34 CDs of Camille Saint-Saëns actually isn't too much.  ;D
Thanks! I look forward to the discoveries the set will provide. :)

Daverz

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2021, 05:36:19 AM
From FNAC in Madrid:

Hurwitz covered the box:

https://www.youtube.com/v/tFEbUuvLE6I

JBS

I keep debating with myself about that Saint-Saens box. More precisely, I'm holding off to see if the price decreases a bit.
Meanwhile I ordered these off Amazon.
Hat tip to Harry for the Jarvi and the Gade. Until he posted it, I hadn't realized Volume 5 had been released.

Contents of Milos in the tree:

Mirror Image

JBS

Just pulled the trigger on this.

JBS

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on October 26, 2021, 06:14:25 PM
Just pulled the trigger on this.

Quote from: JBS on October 26, 2021, 08:09:58 PM
And also on this

Excellent choices!  The Anda one in particular looks tempting, but I suspect that I might already own a big chunk of it.  I'll have to look into it.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Prompted by JBS, I did some digging around (re Anda).  Missing in my collection from that DG set:

1)  Brahms PC No. 2 with the Berliner and HvK
2)  Grieg PC with Kubelik and Berliner
3)  Beethoven Triple Concerto with Fricsay, Fournier & Schneiderhorn (need to double-check on that one)
Might have a few of the Mozart ones with Camerata Acad. (hard to get to at the moment, but I suspect that at most, I only have a few of them...think that that had to do with recalling that the recording sound was off for me
4) Bach - Chorale Preludes 1
5) No Scarlatti
6) Brahms Klavierstücke (4)
7) Brahms Intermezzi (3)

If this is helpful for anyone else here, what I do own of his recordings in terms of sets: 

4 CD set on Brilliant Classics "The Art of Geza Anda"
DG's Original Masters "Geza Anda Troubadour of the Piano"
Membran's 4 CD set (longbox) just called "Geza Anda"

Note:  There are some works in these sets that are not on that big DG one too.

The Brahms and the Grieg are probably the ones that I would most be tempted to get.  Thoughts by other folks here always appreciated!  :)

PD

p.s.  I do also have his 3 Bartok piano concerto recordings both on CD and LP 😍 Love those!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 02:18:06 PM
Just bought:

Great stuff John! It reminds me to play No.4 from that set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on October 27, 2021, 08:59:56 AM

Stepping on Daddy's toes, I see.  :o

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 27, 2021, 08:59:56 AM

Yeah, I hope so, Jeffrey. This set received some favorable reviews, but I listened to a little bit of the 1st symphony and it sounded good (to my ears).

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 27, 2021, 09:07:32 AM
Stepping on Daddy's toes, I see.  :o

I'm not sure why you're shocked. He's recorded a good bit of music his dad has already done.