Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Quote from: Judith on January 22, 2022, 08:21:11 AM
Just pre-ordered box set
Haydns Symphonies
Marriner/asmf

Looking forward to its arrival next month

There's some good stuff there - if it's including no.22 'The Philosopher', or those in the 40s, that's some of it, for example.

Irons

Quote from: André on January 21, 2022, 06:56:05 AM

That 15 disc set will be my indulgence item for all of 2022. I haven't kept the LPs or cassettes from 30-40 years ago (couldn't play them anyway  ;D) but the memories of these performances is still very vivid.

At the original release there were some criticism that only symphonies with nicknames were featured. I could not understand at the time or now the problem with that.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 22, 2022, 12:13:07 PM

A great CD of two fine Alwyn scores. John Ireland thought that Alwyn's 3rd Symphony was the finest British symphony since Elgar's 2nd Symphony. This seems a bit harsh on Walton, VW and Bax but it is a fine work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wanderer

Quote from: Florestan on January 22, 2022, 02:41:26 AM
I presume you already had volume 2.

Damn it, I knew I forgot something! 🤷‍♂️😁

Quote from: Florestan on January 22, 2022, 02:41:26 AM
Btw, what do you think of the Geoffrey Tozer's Chandos series of Medtner's solo piano music?

It's excellent. Tozer may not be the ne plus ultra of virtuosity (complimentary performances by Hamelin and others for that), but he is not lacking in insight, he is very lyrical with beautiful tone (a major plus in these works) and he benefits from impeccable Chandos engineering. Same goes for his Medtner concerti series. He may play the short cadenza in the Second Concerto, but that's the only real "drawback".

Wanderer

Quote from: Madiel on January 22, 2022, 10:31:58 PM
I definitely want to try out those Medtner albums. It's great that someone is doing a complete set.

I agree. Fingers crossed the series will keep going. The Levental/Peters duo have passed my first litmus test (Angel, Op. 1bis) with flying colours and hopefully they'll pass the second as well (Goethe's Geweihter Platz, the introduction to the Sonate-Vocalise). You can listen on Spotify and the CD's are right now going for ridiculous prices on Spanish Amazon.

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on January 23, 2022, 02:30:25 AM
Damn it, I knew I forgot something! 🤷‍♂️😁

It's excellent. Tozer may not be the ne plus ultra of virtuosity (complimentary performances by Hamelin and others for that), but he is not lacking in insight, he is very lyrical with beautiful tone (a major plus in these works) and he benefits from impeccable Chandos engineering. Same goes for his Medtner concerti series. He may play the short cadenza in the Second Concerto, but that's the only real "drawback".

That alone is enough for me. I pushed the button. Thank you very much.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Wanderer

Quote from: Florestan on January 23, 2022, 03:06:38 AM

I know, I got this one when it was released. 🎼😎

Quote from: Florestan on January 23, 2022, 03:06:38 AM
That alone is enough for me. I pushed the button. Thank you very much.

Good choice. Your PM box is full!

vers la flamme

Not purchased today, but I loaded up on some Alwyn over the past week or so.

Should keep me busy for a bit  ;D

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 20, 2022, 07:07:46 PM
Just bought:

I was in the market for some better recordings of these works as the performances in the Saint-Saëns Warner set just weren't that satisfying to me. Hyperion is usually a reliable label, especially in chamber music.

I don't know the performances on this disc, but I can highly recommend the recordings Steven Isserlis and Pascal Devoyon made of the two sonatas on RCA.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 23, 2022, 06:59:40 AM
Not purchased today, but I loaded up on some Alwyn over the past week or so.

Should keep me busy for a bit  ;D

Fabulous haul! There's so much fun to enjoy here.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

Picked up some 90s Naxos price downloads from Qobuz - $5-$7 a pop.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 23, 2022, 07:06:43 AM
I don't know the performances on this disc, but I can highly recommend the recordings Steven Isserlis and Pascal Devoyon made of the two sonatas on RCA.

Thanks, Kyle. I'll stick with this Hyperion disc for now.

Papy Oli

Tried to make wise use of some recent gift vouchers with a few FLAC downloads from Presto and Chandos (Naxos sale £2.30 each at the moment):

A physical Twofer also from Presto:

Also gratefully received this baby as a birthday gift a week ago:

if you'd shown me all that as a future order a year ago, I'd probably would have laughed you out of the forum.

Funny how listening tastes evolve and change.  8)
Olivier

SonicMan46

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 23, 2022, 01:39:39 PM
Tried to make wise use of some recent gift vouchers with a few FLAC downloads from Presto and Chandos (Naxos sale £2.30 each at the moment):

if you'd shown me all that as a future order a year ago, I'd probably would have laughed you out of the forum.

My word Papy, did you look at my Buxtehude database?  ???   I have all 5 of those CDs!  :laugh:  You'll greatly enjoy - Dave  ;)

André

The Ricercar discs of Buxtehude cantatas are very fine

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 23, 2022, 01:39:39 PM

That is indeed a great haul and I hope that you enjoy the music, Olivier  ;)

MusicTurner

Karl Henning

Quote from: Irons on January 23, 2022, 01:16:59 AM
At the original release there were some criticism that only symphonies with nicknames were featured. I could not understand at the time or now the problem with that.

I imagine that it's as simple as a lot of tasty symphonies don't have nicknames attached to them. I doubt it's any actual quarrel with the nicknamed symphonies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 23, 2022, 04:46:56 PM
I imagine that it's as simple as a lot of tasty symphonies don't have nicknames attached to them. I doubt it's any actual quarrel with the nicknamed symphonies.

Matthew Tepper used to suggest a project to name all other symphonies, but sadly it never seemed to get off the ground. 

I'll note that Marriner does not include No. 64, which is sometimes nicknamed "Tempora mutantur".  There may be a few other obscure nicknames floating around for some of the symphonies.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on January 23, 2022, 05:03:40 PM
Matthew Tepper used to suggest a project to name all other symphonies, but sadly it never seemed to get off the ground. 

I'll note that Marriner does not include No. 64, which is sometimes nicknamed "Tempora mutantur".  There may be a few other obscure nicknames floating around for some of the symphonies.

Interesting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot