Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 05, 2013, 11:02:09 AM
John, you're killing me!!!!! How come you're buying all those Feldman and Sciarrino recordings but cancelled your order of the BIS Tveitt recordings!?!?

I give up! :laugh:

I buy music based on my interests and only my interests, Kyle. I've always been fascinated with Feldman's music. The man, in my estimate, was a genius. This may or may not be music you enjoy and if you do then that's great and if you don't then that's your prerogative, but my tastes are different than yours and I really shouldn't have to justify my purchases to anyone.

Honestly, Tveitt is a composer of little originality IMHO and he just doesn't interest me. I've heard several of his works and I'm still left wondering why I sat through that entire work. It doesn't send my mind into another universe nor does it capture my imagination or heart. Feldman, on the other hand, even if I didn't necessarily like his music four or five years ago, I still remember, because nobody sounded like him. He broke with conventional methods and was very much his own man and, for this, I admire him, but, thankfully, the music he composed was good and, so, in closing, I'll continue to listen and have my mind and my own perceptions of music catapulted into the next dimension. He didn't bow down to anyone and, in his music, I think he achieved this.

springrite

I should stop by Atlanta next year to pick up all the CDs of music John has given up. That should be a boat load!

Glad you are into Feldman, John, one of my favourite composers.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2013, 05:10:32 PM
Honestly, Tveitt is a composer of little originality IMHO and he just doesn't interest me. I've heard several of his works and I'm still left wondering why I sat through that entire work. It doesn't send my mind into another universe nor does it capture my imagination or heart. Feldman, on the other hand, even if I didn't necessarily like his music four or five years ago, I still remember, because nobody sounded like him.

Three years from now, your listening habits will be exactly the same as James's.
(But without J.S. Bach.)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2013, 05:10:32 PM
I buy music based on my interests and only my interests, Kyle. I've always been fascinated with Feldman's music. The man, in my estimate, was a genius. This may or may not be music you enjoy and if you do then that's great and if you don't then that's your prerogative, but my tastes are different than yours and I really shouldn't have to justify my purchases to anyone.

Honestly, Tveitt is a composer of little originality IMHO and he just doesn't interest me. I've heard several of his works and I'm still left wondering why I sat through that entire work. It doesn't send my mind into another universe nor does it capture my imagination or heart. Feldman, on the other hand, even if I didn't necessarily like his music four or five years ago, I still remember, because nobody sounded like him. He broke with conventional methods and was very much his own man and, for this, I admire him, but, thankfully, the music he composed was good and, so, in closing, I'll continue to listen and have my mind and my own perceptions of music catapulted into the next dimension. He didn't bow down to anyone and, in his music, I think he achieved this.

You've got some good points, but you've got to realize originality isn't everything. Just because a composer didn't rock the world with his/her music doesn't mean that they're an inferior composer. IMO Tveitt was a highly original composer and his music displays a vivid imagination. I won't deny that Feldman was an original and talented composer, but his music does absolutely nothing for me.

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on November 05, 2013, 05:18:13 PM
Three years from now, your listening habits will be exactly the same as James's.
(But without J.S. Bach.)

I wouldn't be surprised. ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on November 05, 2013, 05:15:36 PM
I should stop by Atlanta next year to pick up all the CDs of music John has given up. That should be a boat load!

Glad you are into Feldman, John, one of my favourite composers.

I made the mistake of giving up on Schnittke. Boy, was a costly mistake! Hopefully, I won't make this same mistake twice. BTW, Paul, do you own any of those Feldman recordings I bought? I'm wondering if I chose some good ones?

springrite

I should get some more Tveitt. I only have two CDs and I like them both.

Why do I keep thinking "upper class Tveitt of the year"?

kyjo

springrite

Quote from: springrite on November 05, 2013, 05:23:18 PM
I should get some more Tveitt. I only have two CDs and I like them both.

Why do I keep thinking "upper class Tveitt of the year"?
Yes I have many of them. I have about 20 CDs, I think.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2013, 05:22:20 PM
I made the mistake of giving up on Schnittke.

.....among other composers.....

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 05, 2013, 05:21:07 PM
You've got some good points, but you've got to realize originality isn't everything. Just because a composer didn't rock the world with his/her music doesn't mean that they're an inferior composer. IMO Tveitt was a highly original composer and his music displays a vivid imagination. I won't deny that Feldman was an original and talented composer, but his music does absolutely nothing for me.

No, originality isn't everything, but if I wanted more Tveitt recordings I would have bought them and not cancelled that order. Again, I like having music like Feldman's around for the simple fact that 1. I enjoy it (most important) and 2. it gives me a wider palette of music to choose from. To be able to pull a Feldman or even a Boulez recording from my collection and listen to it is a blessing in itself. Tveitt didn't have to rock the world with his music and I could really careless if he did. That's not my point. My point is I listen to music that interests me and screw the rest. This same philosophy I hope applies to everyone here.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 05, 2013, 05:18:13 PM
(But without J.S. Bach.)

Umm...no. :)

Artem

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 04, 2013, 08:56:26 PM
Also bought these tonight:

I quite like these two ECM Feldman releases. The one from this year, Violin and Orchestra, is among my favourite releases this year. The CPO recording of For Samuel Beckett was my first CD with that piece. However, I'd also recommend getting that composition on Hat Hut conducted by Arturo Tamayo. I like it better.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Artem on November 05, 2013, 05:54:14 PM
I quite like these two ECM Feldman releases. The one from this year, Violin and Orchestra, is among my favourite releases this year. The CPO recording of For Samuel Beckett was my first CD with that piece. However, I'd also recommend getting that composition on Hat Hut conducted by Arturo Tamayo. I like it better.

Very cool. Thanks for the feedback. Did you see my other Feldman purchases? What do you make of those? I figured I couldn't go wrong with the California EAR Unit, especially since I love their Rothko Chapel recording so much.

Artem

I like For Philip Guston a lot (although I only heard it in its entirety once), but I have it on Wergo. I also have Crippled Symmetry but on a different label.

Mode's Orchestra is also great, especially the recording of "Intersection I".

As for Piano and String Quartet, it is not my favourite Feldman's composition, but I think Kronos version is better. I actually found it last year at a used shop.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2013, 05:28:29 PMMy point is I listen to music that interests me and screw the rest. This same philosophy I hope applies to everyone here.

Right now is my 1,082nd listen (one thousand eighty-second) to music I had never heard before, in 2013 alone. I'm pretty sure I've listened to more than one work of music that does not interest me. Moreover, I'm pretty sure I've been delightfully surprised by music that previously did not interest me at least once. Lou Harrison comes to mind.

Music that I have heard before that doesn't interest me? Listening usually only happens if someone on GMG badgers me about how I didn't give it a fair chance...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Artem on November 05, 2013, 06:07:47 PM
I like For Philip Guston a lot (although I only heard it in its entirety once), but I have it on Wergo. I also have Crippled Symmetry but on a different label.

Mode's Orchestra is also great, especially the recording of "Intersection I".

As for Piano and String Quartet, it is not my favourite Feldman's composition, but I think Kronos version is better. I actually found it last year at a used shop.

Again, I appreciate your feedback, Artem.

Thread duty -

Just bought this for a very reasonable price and it's OOP:

The audio samples sounded absolutely enchanting.

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on November 05, 2013, 06:30:42 PM
Right now is my 1,082nd listen (one thousand eighty-second) to music I had never heard before, in 2013 alone. I'm pretty sure I've listened to more than one work of music that does not interest me. Moreover, I'm pretty sure I've been delightfully surprised by music that previously did not interest me at least once. Lou Harrison comes to mind.

Music that I have heard before that doesn't interest me? Listening usually only happens if someone on GMG badgers me about how I didn't give it a fair chance...

So you agree with a modified form of John's statement:  you listen to music that at least has a chance of interesting you, but not music that you know does not interest you. 

And as modified,  that statement probably describes my attitude, and I think most people here on GMG.

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 05, 2013, 06:42:21 PM
So you agree with a modified form of John's statement:  you listen to music that at least has a chance of interesting you, but not music that you know does not interest you. 

And as modified,  that statement probably describes my attitude, and I think most people here on GMG.

Sounds reasonable!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 05, 2013, 06:42:21 PM

But you wouldn't be listening to whatever it is you're listening to if you weren't at least bit interested. :) Something had to have brought you from point A to point B.