Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on June 27, 2022, 06:48:11 PM
Landed today

My inventory of Takemitsu probably doubled with this, and a heavy dose of Messiaen,  but there's also 3 CDs of Chopin and Beethoven's Opus 61a, several Mozart PCs, two recordings of BWV 988, and what seems to be a Buddhist oratorio by Peter Lieberson (King Gesar).

I remember that Takemitsu/Messiaen/Wuorinen & al. disc, The ocean that has no west and no east
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 29, 2022, 12:34:05 PM
I remember that Takemitsu/Messiaen/Wuorinen & al. disc, The ocean that has no west and no east

Ha!
That's not in this box because it was issued by Koch

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on June 29, 2022, 01:09:09 PM
Ha!

Ah, I should have surmised!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on June 29, 2022, 01:09:09 PM
Ha!

And as I look over the actual contents, I sense temptation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 29, 2022, 04:20:50 PM
And as I look over the actual contents, I sense temptation.

And 5 CDs are actually Tashi, since Serkin was a member. So you get the famous Quartet for the End of Time recording, and Tashi playing Stravinsky, Takemitsu, and Webern (half of the CD for that one: the other half is Serkin playing some of Takemitsu's solo piano works). The other two Tashi CDs are devoted to WAM and LvB.

There's also a CD of Serkin playing works specifically composed for him. I think some of the pieces included in that Koch CD have alternate recordings here. (But, to your regret, not Wourinen.)

At the moment I'm most intrigued by that Lieberson oratorio/cantata/whateveryoucallit (King Gesar).

JBS

From ImportCDs via Amazon MP.
They've cut the price to an amount that's about the same as Presto once you includr shipping, and unlike Presto they have it in stock.

Que

Quote from: JBS on June 29, 2022, 06:13:29 PM

They've cut the price to an amount that's about the same as Presto once you includr shipping, and unlike Presto they have it in stock.

Nice catch!  :)

Spotted Horses

..and even cheaper on importcds.com. Alas, I checked importcds.com and the set wasn't available when I ordered from Presto. Doesn't seem to be worth the bother to cancel at Presto and re-order to save a few dollars. Hopefully presto will ship sooner than their expected date, which is August.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

classicalgeek

They've cut the price to an amount that's about the same as Presto once you include shipping, and unlike Presto they have it in stock.

Very nice. Happy listening!

TD: My first Berkshire Record order in six months. There's no place better to get anything on Hyperion! ;D

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

JBS

Another Presto order, led off by the newest Haydn 2032 volume

Also separately, the newest (in the USA) issue of BBC Music Magazine; the CD is the Pavel Haas Quartet playing the 12th and 13th String Quartets of Dvorak and the First String Quartet of Janacek.

Spotted Horses

I ended up canceling my Presto order for this set. The long lead time and the realization that I have a lot of it in various forms including the Philips Complete Mozart Edition eroded my irrational exuberance about having this set. In the end, not a great value for the money and I have so many other recordings of this music to choose from.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ritter

For some strange reason, Amazon Spain was offering one new copy of this long OOP 4 CD set at a very attractive price and with Prime (i.e. free for me) delivery, so I went for it:

This is the CD transfer of a lavish 7 LP set released in 1956 (to coincide with the composer's bicentennial) of all the works —including some of doubtful attribution— composed by Mozart in his visits to Paris in 1763 and 1778. The lineup of musicians includes some very prominent names (while others have lapsed into oblivion).

Mirror Image

Just bought via eBay:

I honestly didn't need another set of either composer's piano works, but I remember being rather enchanted with the Haas performances I had listened to from many years ago. I'm quite sure they were from this box set. One can never own too much Debussy and Ravel in their collection.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 02, 2022, 09:02:17 PM
Just bought via eBay:

I honestly didn't need another set of either composer's piano works, but I remember being rather enchanted with the Haas performances I had listened to from many years ago. I'm quite sure they were from this box set. One can never own too much Debussy and Ravel in their collection.

By "one", I think you're referring to yourself, John. :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on July 04, 2022, 09:31:41 AM

Kyle wins!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on July 04, 2022, 09:31:41 AM

Hah...yes, this apparently must be the case, but I know Rafael (ritter) is a huge Debussy and Ravel fan, too. He probably owns as much as I do at this juncture (probably even more).

Mirror Image

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2022, 11:42:29 AM
Just bought:

Yet another interesting Naxos release to listen to. This Brazilian series has brought some rather neat music to public knowledge.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 05, 2022, 11:54:13 AM
Yet another interesting Naxos release to listen to. This Brazilian series has brought some rather music to public knowledge.

Indeed. I listened to some of the audio samples via Presto and the music reminded me of a Brazilian Bernstein of sorts. 8)