Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 31, 2022, 07:02:03 AM
Just bought:

I've been looking at this recording for quite some time and finally came across one for a good price in a desirable condition so I jumped on it. This is one of my favorite Shostakovich symphonies. Chung is a respectable conductor and has turned in many great performances --- hopefully, he'll deliver the goods here.

I think you'll be happy. A favorite recording of the 4th for me.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on July 31, 2022, 08:19:33 AM
Thank you, and thanks for the suggestion about the Lieder! Cool, I l'm curious to see if the Schoenberg Quartet's performance of the SQs is better than the Lasalle Quartet's, which is my favourite. They recorded a superb set of Zemlinsky's SQs, so it's not difficult to imagine they did excellently with Schoenberg's too; I was especially attracted for the inclusion of the String Trio, the Phantasy for Violin and Piano and the String Concerto.

You're welcome, Ilaria. I would buy the Schoenberg Quartet's Zemlinsky, but the box set is OOP and rather expensive. I own the Lasalle and Artis Quartett Wien in the Zemlinsky, so I should be good.  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: VonStupp on July 31, 2022, 12:17:28 PM
I think you'll be happy. A favorite recording of the 4th for me.

VS

Great to read, VS!

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 31, 2022, 09:18:06 AM
I enjoy both these boxes very much, Ilaria! I'm sure you will, as well!

Thank you, I'm sure I will too, I'm looking forward to receiving the sets!

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 31, 2022, 01:12:34 PM
You're welcome, Ilaria. I would buy the Schoenberg Quartet's Zemlinsky, but the box set is OOP and rather expensive. I own the Lasalle and Artis Quartett Wien in the Zemlinsky, so I should be good.  ;)

Yes, you should be extremely good.  8)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

SonicMan46

Well, I've not posted in this thread in a while despite still buying CDs (often just one or two at a time and many 'used') - but below are two decisions that took me a while of pondering:

Schubert, Franz - Fortepiano KB Works w/ Jan Vermeulen - I've had the Paul Badura-Skoda for a while using his original instruments, a number in poor condition; after a couple of listens, I rarely returned - w/ the great help of Que, I was pointed to Vermeulen and found a decent price on the Amazon MP (and of course had read a lot of reviews) - will cull out my Paul B-S sets - for the curious, my modern piano set is w/ Uchida which I've owned for a long time (obviously there are plenty of other performers in this area!).

Scarlatti, Domenico - Sonatas w/ Claire Huangci on piano - listened to her this morning (and read reviews) on Spotify and really enjoyed her light touch and interpretations - then in the 'listening thread' I was pointed to Sergei Babayan and listened to him this afternoon on Spotify - he was excellent also!  What to do?  Well, I liked them both equally but there was an Amazon MP 'used' 2-disc set for $15 USD (including the S/H), so I went w/ that choice - Dave :)

Mirror Image

I didn't need any more Bruckner, but...I only own one performance from this set, so I snagged it:

Mookalafalas

Got this very reasonably second hand.
It's all good...

Maestro267

Picked up a 2CD set of Stravinsky chamber miniatures.

Stravinsky: Ragtime; Octet; 3 Pieces for clarinet; The Soldier's Tale suite; Pastorale; Concertino for 12 instruments; Septet; Epitaphium; Concerto for two pianos; Dumbarton Oaks Concerto; Danses concertantes; "Basle" Concerto in D; Quatre Études; Four Norwegian Moods; Suites Nos. 1 & 2

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 01, 2022, 07:58:34 AM
Picked up a 2CD set of Stravinsky chamber miniatures.

Stravinsky: Ragtime; Octet; 3 Pieces for clarinet; The Soldier's Tale suite; Pastorale; Concertino for 12 instruments; Septet; Epitaphium; Concerto for two pianos; Dumbarton Oaks Concerto; Danses concertantes; "Basle" Concerto in D; Quatre Études; Four Norwegian Moods; Suites Nos. 1 & 2

What label? Decca?

This one?

Maestro267

vers la flamme

Ordered a couple different Mahler 1sts these past few days:

I have sampled both of them on streaming and enjoyed both a lot. The Maazel is on the slower side, but sounded excellent. I got them both for under $4 a piece on ebay so that's nice.

classicalgeek

Hit a couple record stores in Minneapolis on my vacation... some basic repertoire, some more unusual stuff, but on the whole a lot cheaper than the record stores in Seattle!

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

aligreto

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 02, 2022, 06:36:20 AM
Hit a couple record stores in Minneapolis on my vacation... some basic repertoire, some more unusual repertoire, but one the whole a lot cheaper than the record stores in Seattle!

A nice haul and a good mix of music there to keep you occupied for a while.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on August 02, 2022, 07:11:07 AM

+ 1

vers la flamme

Hit a couple record stores in Minneapolis on my vacation... some basic repertoire, some more unusual stuff, but on the whole a lot cheaper than the record stores in Seattle!

I LOVE that Solti Brahms cycle! And that Telarc Mahler 3rd looks excellent!

Wanderer

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on August 02, 2022, 07:11:07 AM
+++  :)  And I can't even see all of the images!

Nice that you were able to get your hands on some Suk too!

A few new CDs (that were part of a summertime sale):

A few non-classical ones too; I'll post those elsewhere.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 03, 2022, 05:32:12 AM
+++  :)  And I can't even see all of the images!

Nice that you were able to get your hands on some Suk too!

A few new CDs (that were part of a summertime sale):

A few non-classical ones too; I'll post those elsewhere.

PD
I don't know the others but Rosbaud's Sibelius disc is excellent (very fine Tapiola). Unfortunately it does not include Pohjola's Daughter PD  ;D

Two new purchases (including one pre-order):

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Ah Record Stores..... I remember Record Stores ....... remarkably there are almost no decent record stores in London any more certainly not supplying anything like a proper selection of CM.  Just about the only shops on high streets where I buy CD's these days are from Charity Shops so its lucky dip as to what they have.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 03, 2022, 11:16:48 PM
Ah Record Stores..... I remember Record Stores ....... remarkably there are almost no decent record stores in London any more certainly not supplying anything like a proper selection of CM.  Just about the only shops on high streets where I buy CD's these days are from Charity Shops so its lucky dip as to what they have.
Yes, the lack of Record stores in London is depressing. I used to love browsing in Farringdon's Records, Harold Moores, MDC, HMV etcetc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).