Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 3524774 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #32520 on: August 02, 2022, 09:00:41 PM »

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #32521 on: August 03, 2022, 04:32:12 AM »
A nice haul and a good mix of music there to keep you occupied for a while.  :)
+++  :)  And I can't even see all of the images!

Nice that you were able to get your hands on some Suk too!

A few new CDs (that were part of a summertime sale):

A few non-classical ones too; I'll post those elsewhere.

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #32522 on: August 03, 2022, 09:18:34 PM »
+++  :)  And I can't even see all of the images!

Nice that you were able to get your hands on some Suk too!

A few new CDs (that were part of a summertime sale):

A few non-classical ones too; I'll post those elsewhere.

PD
I don't know the others but Rosbaud's Sibelius disc is excellent (very fine Tapiola). Unfortunately it does not include Pohjola's Daughter PD  ;D

Two new purchases (including one pre-order):

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #32523 on: August 03, 2022, 10:16:48 PM »
Hit a couple record stores in Minneapolis on my vacation... some basic repertoire, some more unusual stuff, but on the whole a lot cheaper than the record stores in Seattle!

Ah Record Stores..... I remember Record Stores ....... remarkably there are almost no decent record stores in London any more certainly not supplying anything like a proper selection of CM.  Just about the only shops on high streets where I buy CD's these days are from Charity Shops so its lucky dip as to what they have.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #32524 on: August 03, 2022, 11:35:18 PM »
Ah Record Stores..... I remember Record Stores ....... remarkably there are almost no decent record stores in London any more certainly not supplying anything like a proper selection of CM.  Just about the only shops on high streets where I buy CD's these days are from Charity Shops so its lucky dip as to what they have.
Yes, the lack of Record stores in London is depressing. I used to love browsing in Farringdon's Records, Harold Moores, MDC, HMV etcetc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #32525 on: August 04, 2022, 01:45:40 AM »
Ordered a couple different Mahler 1sts these past few days:

I have sampled both of them on streaming and enjoyed both a lot. The Maazel is on the slower side, but sounded excellent. I got them both for under $4 a piece on ebay so that's nice.

I like this first symphony with Maazel,it is slow but that is not always a bad thing. Maazel makes a convincing case for it and at times a more wonderful Viennese character than many others

• Veteran member
« Reply #32526 on: August 04, 2022, 03:25:18 AM »
I don't know the others but Rosbaud's Sibelius disc is excellent (very fine Tapiola). Unfortunately it does not include Pohjola's Daughter PD  ;D

I don't recall ever having heard the Joachim concerto so (hopefully) that will be a plus.  I've enjoyed 99% of what I've heard by the Talich Quartet (in its various iterations) and have been wanting to hear some Rosbaud (recall hearing some good things about his recordings) and hard to pass on Sibelius!  ;D  I'll grudgingly forgive the record label for its lapse in judgement re not including PD.  For $2 bucks each, I can be beneficent.   ;)

• Veteran member
« Reply #32527 on: August 04, 2022, 03:26:18 AM »

And more Kabelac and Martinu....lucky man!

PD

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #32528 on: August 04, 2022, 12:34:41 PM »
Been mulling over this set for a while and finally picked it up from a good BIS sale on Europadisc. I like what I've heard from it, some unique and exciting takes on these fine works.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #32529 on: August 04, 2022, 06:53:53 PM »

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #32530 on: August 05, 2022, 01:06:51 AM »
Been mulling over this set for a while and finally picked it up from a good BIS sale on Europadisc. I like what I've heard from it, some unique and exciting takes on these fine works.

I've bought the single releases of my favourites, including nos 4,11 and 13 and think very highly of them all.

Offline DavidW

« Reply #32531 on: August 05, 2022, 02:40:42 AM »

That Mahler recording is very interesting.  I was surprised that trying to track down the specific instruments used in Austrian/Germanic orchestras of the time did bring a different sound to the music.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #32532 on: August 05, 2022, 04:29:14 AM »
Not released until September 23rd over here - so that squared it with my conscience  ::)

• Veteran member
« Reply #32533 on: August 05, 2022, 05:00:36 AM »
Not released until September 23rd over here - so that squared it with my conscience  ::)

:laugh:  :)

PD

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #32534 on: August 05, 2022, 06:12:23 AM »

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #32535 on: August 05, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »
Paul Paray, Mercury Masters Volume I

I learned my lesson last year with the Markevitch/Philips set. Eloquence Box sets have chaotic releases. Same thing happened this time. The set appears, amazon has contradictory indications, it is not released yet, it was released last month, out of stock, currently unavailable, the supply chain ate it, etc. You just have to wait for it to percolate to this hemisphere. Today (fingers crossed) I scored one from importcds.com for the lowest price I have come across, $81 + $4 shipping.

Volume I has the mono recordings that didn't get released in the three Mercury Living Presence Box sets that came out years ago (including Brahms 4). I will probably pass on Volume II because I think all of the signifiant stereo Paray recordings on Mercury are in those boxes (which I have). That could change if I found that the new masters here are a big improvement, but I don't think that is likely. The previous releases sounded very good to me. They were produced by Wilma Cozart amid some fanfare, going back to the original tapes, etc.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 08:01:15 PM by Spotted Horses »

Offline ultralinear

• What? WHAT???
« Reply #32536 on: August 06, 2022, 12:42:45 AM »
Managed to snag a pristine set of these for 15 quid including shipping on a well-known auction site:

I already had a few of these as single issues, this was much the cheapest way to fill the gaps.

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #32537 on: August 06, 2022, 12:51:29 AM »

Rozhdestvensky was absolutely one of my favourite conductors and great to watch in concert too.  He did so many great things in his time with the BBC SO.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32538 on: August 06, 2022, 01:12:52 AM »
Managed to snag a pristine set of these for 15 quid including shipping on a well-known auction site:

I already had a few of these as single issues, this was much the cheapest way to fill the gaps.

Nice catch!  :)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #32539 on: August 06, 2022, 04:30:20 AM »

Damn, lucky duck. I've been looking for this but can't find it cheap.