Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 12, 2022, 07:53:32 AM
I've been watching the price for this box fluctuate on Amazon US: first it was out of print and could be had for a small fortune, then it was available for less than $140 US (I almost bought it then), then the price spiked at over $200, and up and down it went. Well, here it was for the lowest price I've seen yet, and I wasn't going to let it slip away this time:

Can't wait! ;D Especially eager to dig into her concerto recordings with Abbado!

Superb!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

I've been watching the price for this box fluctuate on Amazon US: first it was out of print and could be had for a small fortune, then it was available for less than $140 US (I almost bought it then), then the price spiked at over $200, and up and down it went. Well, here it was for the lowest price I've seen yet, and I wasn't going to let it slip away this time:

Can't wait! ;D Especially eager to dig into her concerto recordings with Abbado!

This is a magnificent set but the concerto recordings (with Abbado) are my least favorite part. Looking at my listening notes I found the Argerich/Abbado recording of the Ravel concerto in G from 1968 to be dreadful, but the 1984 recording of the same piece to be "magical." The solo piano and piano duet repertoire is where Argerich really shines, IMO.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

Excellent! I have the series of small boxes released some years ago which contains all that material. Does this set have the recordings released on Philips?
(Easy way to tell: does it have this one?)

If not, keep an eye out for this one, part of the series I have (given Amazon pricing, I won't say you should buy it).

I've also got the similar series of small boxes from EMI.  Everything she does is first class.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

classicalgeek

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 12, 2022, 09:59:28 AM
Superb!

I know, right?

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 12, 2022, 11:26:54 AM
This is a magnificent set but the concerto recordings (with Abbado) are my least favorite part. Looking at my listening notes I found the Argerich/Abbado recording of the Ravel concerto in G from 1968 to be dreadful, but the 1984 recording of the same piece to be "magical." The solo piano and piano duet repertoire is where Argerich really shines, IMO.

Of course I'm looking forward to listening to the solo, duo/duet, and chamber repertoire as well! It's been a while since I've heard those concerto recordings, so I look forward to listening to them with fresh ears. I do remember being very impressed with her Prokofiev 3. I'll give both the Ravels a listen too

Quote from: JBS on August 12, 2022, 11:59:18 AM
Excellent! I have the series of small boxes released some years ago which contains all that material. Does this set have the recordings released on Philips?
(Easy way to tell: does it have this one?)

If not, keep an eye out for this one, part of the series I have (given Amazon pricing, I won't say you should buy it).

I've also got the similar series of small boxes from EMI.  Everything she does is first class.

A spot check of the listing for this set on Discogs says this set does include her Philips recordings (including, of course, that legendary Rachmaninov/Tchaikovsky disc)! ;D It makes sense that this box would include all of her Universal recordings, not just the stuff on DG - and it did!

I'd like to get her Warner box as well - but that will be further down the line. Warner boxes tend to remain in print longer and be a little cheaper than the rest of the major labels.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

JBS

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 12, 2022, 12:41:53 PM
I know, right?

Of course I'm looking forward to listening to the solo, duo/duet, and chamber repertoire as well! It's been a while since I've heard those concerto recordings, so I look forward to listening to them with fresh ears. I do remember being very impressed with her Prokofiev 3. I'll give both the Ravels a listen too

A spot check of the listing for this set on Discogs says this set does include her Philips recordings (including, of course, that legendary Rachmaninov/Tchaikovsky disc)! ;D It makes sense that this box would include all of her Universal recordings, not just the stuff on DG - and it did!

I'd like to get her Warner box as well - but that will be further down the line. Warner boxes tend to remain in print longer and be a little cheaper than the rest of the major labels.

It does make sense--but I noticed the set's title only mentioned DG, and DG set organizers have made such distinctions before (as indeed they did before with the smaller sets I have).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on August 12, 2022, 11:59:18 AM
Excellent! I have the series of small boxes released some years ago which contains all that material.

Not quite all. The solo sonata box only contains the Maisky and Kremer recordings. Her recording of the Chopin Cello Sonata with Rostropovich is left out. :(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 12, 2022, 07:12:53 PM
Not quite all. The solo sonata box only contains the Maisky and Kremer recordings. Her recording of the Chopin Cello Sonata with Rostropovich is left out. :(

Well, that's not nice of them. I wonder why.

vers la flamme

Been meaning to get this for some time, realized it was only ~$18 on Amazon, couldn't resist. Not that I needed another Bruckner cycle at this stage in my life, but... I love Jochum, I love the Staatskapelle Dresden & I love Bruckner. What are you going to do.

classicalgeek

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 13, 2022, 04:35:54 PM

Been meaning to get this for some time, realized it was only ~$18 on Amazon, couldn't resist. Not that I needed another Bruckner cycle at this stage in my life, but... I love Jochum, I love the Staatskapelle Dresden & I love Bruckner. What are you going to do.

One of my two favorite Bruckner cycles, the other being Wand's. Jochum has a way with these works, and the Staatskapelle Dresden plays beautifully. Enjoy!

vers la flamme

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 13, 2022, 11:02:20 PM
One of my two favorite Bruckner cycles, the other being Wand's. Jochum has a way with these works, and the Staatskapelle Dresden plays beautifully. Enjoy!
[/quote

Which Wand, the Köln on RCA?

classicalgeek

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 14, 2022, 05:19:56 AM
Quote from: classicalgeek on August 13, 2022, 11:02:20 PM

That's the one! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he recorded just one complete cycle, even though he recorded several of the individual symphonies multiple times.

vers la flamme

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 14, 2022, 09:02:04 AM

That's the one! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he recorded just one complete cycle, even though he recorded several of the individual symphonies multiple times.

Ah, I thought he managed to do all of them in Hamburg too, but I do see now that that is not a complete cycle. He also later recorded 4-9, I believe, in Berlin. Anyway that WDR Köln RCA Wand cycle is indeed also on my radar. It was to have been my first Bruckner cycle a few years ago, but a friend on another forum vehemently talked me out of it in favor of Barenboim/Berlin—which I'm grateful for, because I really love that cycle. But I like Wand. I'm sure I will get my hands on it eventually!

JBS

JBS

Used copy off Amazon MP

Harry

Arrived today.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

This is my third set besides the Boult and Haitink set wich I have.

Bruckner

ritter

Located a cheap, used copy of Óscar Esplá's Sinfonía Aitana ("tonal music in memoriam") in what I think is the piece's only recording, conducted by Frühbeck. The pianist in the Sonata del sur that completes the CD is none other than Eduardo del Pueyo.

Papy Oli

Another opera on the way:

Olivier

Wanderer

An excellent new recording of Medtner's Violin Sonatas Nos. 1 & 2.