Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on September 20, 2022, 02:13:33 AM
Thanks for the interesting comments , Tassos. Much appreciated.

This was my reaction when I listened to the PC4 earlier this year:
I'm not sure I finally made it to listen to the VC-turned-into-a-PC. Should do so soon (sonce, like you, I really enjoy the work).

Regards,

Thank you for your thoughts on that recording, Rafael. The deviations from the published score are, as you said, interesting and I agree that they do not add to the intrinsic quality of the work - it really shows how distilled and marvelous and inevitable/definitive the published version really is. I hope that that second listen yielded more positive feelings overall regarding the interpretation; though not essential, I did find it a worthwhile reading. And we can never have too many recordings of Op. 61a! 😎

Wanderer

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 24, 2022, 03:00:43 AM
It is the first and only set of Planets I listened to in one sitting, having never been convinced by that work before.

Very glad you discovered this! It is my favourite version of The Planets. And Grainger's The Warriors is an inspired companion piece (in an equally superlative rendition). 

JBS

From Presto

Weinberg: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 7   
Kririll Gerstein (piano), Marie-Christine Zupancic (flute), City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, ...
Format: CD
Label: DG
Quantity: 1
Catalogue Number: 4862402

Leipzig 1723 - Works By Bach, Graupner   
Stefan Temmingh, Capricornus Consort Basel
Label: Accent
Catalogue Number: ACC24375

Luigi Boccherini: 24 String Quartets   
Sonare Quartett, Nomos-Quartett, The Revolutionary Drawing Room
Label: CPO
Catalogue Number: 555164-2

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Peter Power Pop

Peter Power Pop

Holst: The Planets (Chicago Symphony Orchestra / James Levine)

I bought this 2004 release so I can compare the sound of it to the original 1990 release.

vandermolen

I've become obsessed with this symphony - especially the ghostly night-ride of the finale and the beautiful hymn-like passage which ends the work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2022, 04:40:04 AM

I've become obsessed with this symphony [Raff's Lenore] - especially the ghostly night-ride of the finale and the beautiful hymn-like passage which ends the work.

His finest essay in the genre, no doubt.

You might want to try his take on Die Schoene Muellerin, it's in the form of a six movement string quartet (a chamber tone poem so to speak) and much more optimistic than Schubert's.  :)
"Art is no excuse for boring people." - Jules Renard

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on September 29, 2022, 07:32:57 AM
His finest essay in the genre, no doubt.

You might want to try his take on Die Schoene Muellerin, it's in the form of a six movement string quartet (a chamber tone poem so to speak) and much more optimistic than Schubert's.  :)
Thanks Andrei!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Not a purchase, but I received the Dresden Jochum Bruckner set as a birthday gift.  I used to own and treasure it on cd before it was all streaming.

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on September 29, 2022, 03:49:52 PM
Not a purchase, but I received the Dresden Jochum Bruckner set as a birthday gift.  I used to own and treasure it on cd before it was all streaming.
What a nice Birthday present! Happy Birthday!

DavidW

Que

New arrivals:

Wanderer

Having all previous discs of this excellent series, completing Le Sage's traversal of Schumann's piano and chamber music.

Quote from: Que on September 30, 2022, 10:10:27 PM
New arrivals:

Those Koch Schumann issues look very interesting! 😎
I'll investigate.

Que

Quote from: Wanderer on October 02, 2022, 10:34:37 PM

Those Koch Schumann issues look very interesting! 😎
I'll investigate.

They are, and all on period instruments.  :)

I'm kind of picky in  Schumann - sofar my Golden Standard in Schuman is Sviatoslav Richter.

Tobias Koch's approach is different, but I quite like it.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

The dollar is our currency, but it's your problem - US Treasury Secretary John Connally to European Finance Ministers, 1971

JBS

Peter Power Pop

JBS

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 03, 2022, 07:18:46 PM
Yep. 2 bucks:

More expensive and much less music.
I call that price gouging.
>:D

Peter Power Pop