Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on October 05, 2022, 05:46:08 PM
Just now from Presto

All new releases, more or less, and all except the Schubert and one work on the Coleridge-Taylor (the Nonet), music I've not heard before.
I'll be interested in hearing how you like the new Kabalec.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Prompted by the Duke Ellington thread:

From Amazon marketplace.

Karl Henning

Just landed:
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on October 06, 2022, 04:39:44 AM
Prompted by the Duke Ellington thread:

From Amazon marketplace.

Wonderful!

Papy Oli

On the way, some remnants of a French exploration of yesteryear  :)

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 07, 2022, 03:11:44 AM
On the way, some remnants of a French exploration of yesteryear  :)

Unfinished business?  ;D

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on October 07, 2022, 03:21:02 AM
Unfinished business?  ;D

yes, because Bach got in the way, way back when...  >:(  :P

(I only have Pierné, Boulez and Koechlin lingering at the back now from this French project).
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 07, 2022, 03:36:25 AM

(I only have Pierné, Boulez and Koechlin lingering at the back now from this French project).

You did get a tad side tracked all right :laugh:

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 07, 2022, 03:36:25 AM

Bach, not Couperin? :)

In any case, I like Chausson and I like Jordan, so I don't think you can go wrong there.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Papy Oli

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 07, 2022, 03:52:37 AM
Bach, not Couperin? :)

In any case, I like Chausson and I like Jordan, so I don't think you can go wrong there.

Bar some keyboard works by both Louis and Francois, I haven't warmed much to whatever else I sampled by the Couperin guys  :(

I was really impressed by the Chausson symphony at the time of exploration and also quite liked the songs with Norman. I did ponder on the Jordan box for a while but there was too much overlap with alternative versions on my shelves already so getting those two Chausson was enough after all this time. 
Olivier

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 07, 2022, 04:06:43 AM
Bar some keyboard works by both Louis and Francois, I haven't warmed much to whatever else I sampled by the Couperin guys  :(

I was really impressed by the Chausson symphony at the time of exploration and also quite liked the songs with Norman. I did ponder on the Jordan box for a while but there was too much overlap with alternative versions on my shelves already so getting those two Chausson was enough after all this time.

I ended up getting the Jordan box, despite the considerable overlap.

Has your French project included Poulenc? Very French. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Papy Oli

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 07, 2022, 04:24:59 AM
I ended up getting the Jordan box, despite the considerable overlap.

Has your French project included Poulenc? Very French. :)

I explored Poulenc a while after my original thread IIRC (see here: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,30196.0.html) . i have a copy of the EMI Poulenc box. I enjoy it, albeit in small measures. 
Olivier

Spotted Horses

After listening to Pettersson Symphonies 10 and 11 I decided to go back to the beginning, and was mortified to see that the second symphony (the first published symphony) is the only one missing from my collection (mostly the cpo series). Decided to pick this one up to see if I like Lindberg.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 07, 2022, 04:33:50 AM
After listening to Pettersson Symphonies 10 and 11 I decided to go back to the beginning, and was mortified to see that the second symphony (the first published symphony) is the only one missing from my collection (mostly the cpo series). Decided to pick this one up to see if I like Lindberg.

I do find these two symphonies enjoyable - the reconstructed 1st is a good job, in my utterly amateur opinion, and I like #2 very much. Hope you do too. I obviously am a Lindberg fan.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 07, 2022, 05:57:07 AM
I do find these two symphonies enjoyable - the reconstructed 1st is a good job, in my utterly amateur opinion, and I like #2 very much. Hope you do too. I obviously am a Lindberg fan.
I remember owning No.2 on LP
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 07, 2022, 05:57:07 AM

Having listened to the second symphony this morning, I find Lindberg skillful in bringing the complex score to life. I noticed that these earlier works are not as saturated by angst as some of the later works. I do still have difficulty recognizing the form and development in these extended single movement symphonies.

Harry

Added two CD' s to my JPC order.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

And the continuation of Beauty farm with very ugly covers, I am sorry for that :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry on October 08, 2022, 03:49:34 AM
And the continuation of Beauty farm with very ugly covers, I am sorry for that :laugh:

It's incomprehensible why they keep that up, after similar coverdesigns (minus the psychodelic element) of the recordings by The Sound And The Fury.   :)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 08, 2022, 03:20:14 AM
Having listened to the second symphony this morning, I find Lindberg skillful in bringing the complex score to life. I noticed that these earlier works are not as saturated by angst as some of the later works. I do still have difficulty recognizing the form and development in these extended single movement symphonies.

Agreed. I find 1 - 3 far less emotionally demanding,  and I love them fot this!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy