Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Another trip to the Presto well last night

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Pre-ordered (21st October UK)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on October 08, 2022, 07:17:08 AM
Another trip to the Presto well last night

The VW CD is terrific.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

j winter

I played hookie from work yesterday and snuck over to the Princeton Record Exchange (prex.com).  Had a lovely time, brought home a whole shopping bag of goodies, many just a couple of bucks a disc... amongst the riches I acquired a high quality used copy of the big Toscanini box, the 2012 remastered version, which I've been eyeing covetously off and on for literally several decades now in it's various incarnations.  Hurrah, availability and bank account have at long last aligned!

Fall listening plan sorted!   :)

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Spotted Horses

Only $12.99 at Qobuz download store.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: j winter on October 12, 2022, 07:31:23 AM
I played hookie from work yesterday and snuck over to the Princeton Record Exchange (prex.com).  Had a lovely time, brought home a whole shopping bag of goodies, many just a couple of bucks a disc... amongst the riches I acquired a high quality used copy of the big Toscanini box, the 2012 remastered version, which I've been eyeing covetously off and on for literally several decades now in it's various incarnations.  Hurrah, availability and bank account have at long last aligned!

Good catch!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Yes, I am sure that you are in for some wonderful listening session with that set.

Judith

Just pre-ordered

A Golden Cello Decade
Recorded by Steven Isserlis and Connie Shih. Looking at details, it will be a lovely CD and can't wait for its arrival

Pohjolas Daughter

Excellent!  Enjoy!

PD

p.s.  I've always wanted to go to the PRE....one of these days!  Did you buy any vinyl too?
Pohjolas Daughter

j winter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 13, 2022, 09:55:52 AM
Excellent!  Enjoy!

PD

p.s.  I've always wanted to go to the PRE....one of these days!  Did you buy any vinyl too?

No, I'm pretty much a CD-only guy.  Though they have plenty of vinyl!  If you ever visit, be sure to check out Labyrinth Books right around the corner, which is also amazing. 

Their stock of classical CDs was a bit smaller than I remembered from previous years, but still miles above anything else within reasonable driving distance from me (it's about a 90 minute drive for me, so not something I do all the time, but I usually get there a couple of times a year).  I traded in a pile of old stuff too, didn't get much but it pretty well covered my gas and the sales tax, which was nice, and hopefully found the discs appreciative new homes...

classicalgeek

What a find! Congratulations and happy listening! I hope to make it to PREX one of these days... even if I live on the opposite coast...  ;D

TD: Over the past few weeks:

My latest haul from Silver Platters:

Bought from Amazon using credit card reward points (which I earned mostly from buying more CDs ;D):

And just ordered from Europadisc:
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on October 08, 2022, 03:57:47 AM
It's incomprehensible why they keep that up, after similar coverdesigns (minus the psychodelic element) of the recordings by The Sound And The Fury.   :)
Perhaps drop them a (polite) email mentioning that there were a number of negative reactions to them on this website?

PD
Quote from: classicalgeek on October 13, 2022, 11:26:15 AM
What a find! Congratulations and happy listening! I hope to make it to PREX one of these days... even if I live on the opposite coast...  ;D

TD: Over the past few weeks:

My latest haul from Silver Platters:

Bought from Amazon using credit card reward points (which I earned mostly from buying more CDs ;D):

And just ordered from Europadisc:

Looking forward to hearing your reviews of the Mutter and Janacek CDs in particular.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ritter

Congratulations to j winter for getting hold of that Toscanini set! Well done!

And just like classicalgeek, I finally pulled the trigger on the Markevitch / Philips set on Eloquence (which could be found at an attractive price on Amazon Italy — significantly cheaper buying it from them and paying the shipping than the Prime price in Amazon Spain with free delivery).

Mainly for the Spanish stuff (with the RTVE Orchrstra) and the Stravinsky works.

Brian

So excited for everyone ordering the Markevitch boxes, especially the Philips box, which is becoming one of my desert island staples. I just finished listening about 45 minutes ago to Volume 2 of his "Antologia de la Zarzuela." I did not know anything about zarzuela until this and these anthologies hit me like a thunderbolt. What amazing, ingenious music I have been ignoring! What discoveries there are to be made!

Spotted Horses

A few short days after getting the van Oort set, I couldn't resist the Lubimov. Given how inexpensive it is, why quibble?

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

j winter

Interesting... if his Haydn is as good as his Mozart, you should be in for a treat... :)

Papy Oli

Aiming to slowly gather those used Herreweghe boxsets.

2 down. 7 to go.

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 15, 2022, 06:19:21 AM
Aiming to slowly gather those used Herreweghe boxsets.

2 down. 7 to go.

Good for you, Olivier  8)
Herreweghe is excellent in JS Bach's Sacred Music in my opinion.