Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2022, 12:23:11 PM
Music for string quartet and Las musas de Andalucía (for various instrumental combinations —with or without solo vocals—) by Joaquín Turina.

Did you sucumb to the postcard spell?  ;D

Buenas noches, Rafael.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 12:25:12 PMDid you sucumb to the postcard spell?  ;D

Buenas noches, Rafael.
Me temo que no.... A first superficial listen to this CD (in the car during the drive back from El Escorial) left me unimpressed (but I still haven't tackled Las Musas de Andalucía, which is the major work on the CD).

OTOH, I am increasingly falling under the spell of Granados' music, which you may recall I tended to dismiss as too salon-bound (compared to Albéniz's). Errare humanum est... And even if Granados hailed from Catalonia, his Goya-inspired pieces are the musical expression of a certain idea of Madrid, of its esprit de lieu.

A minor piece of trivia: the man at the bookstore where I got this CD (and the Quijote one) in El Escorial, which I had driven to in order to buy a beautiful leather bound 1947 edition of selected works by Leopoldo Alas "Clarín", told me all the CDs he had were from the collection of Teresa Berganza herself, who died there earlier this year.

Buenas noches, Andrei, y un abrazo.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Irons

Quote from: Harry on December 03, 2022, 07:07:28 AMHat tip to Christo, he constantly showcasing this recording and telling how wonderful it is, I finally succumbed, and put it on my order list. And he is right by the way, Boyle's music is indeed wonderful.

Ireland's hidden treasure.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Ordered from Amazon, through Zoverstock this second hand double CD for 9 euros. I hope the quality is good.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Wanderer

Harry

Probably my last order for 2022, or so I hope.

Harry

And these.

Lisztianwagner

Some Szymanowski for piano, thank you very much to the members having suggested me these sets. :)

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Harry on December 10, 2022, 03:18:07 AMProbably my last order for 2022, or so I hope.
So much for patience!  ;D Where did you end up ordering the Dvorak set from and what price did you pay for it?  :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 10, 2022, 09:20:01 AMSo much for patience!  ;D Where did you end up ordering the Dvorak set from and what price did you pay for it?  :D

PD

Patience is not my strongest point, if it comes to music. I paid 39,95 euro for the Dvorak set. But it has no booklet, but the covers have all the timings, and I have a book about Dvorak's works, so the info is already provided for. The single discs through Ebay were in this case a liability, and even worse I would never had got them together for under 14 euro's, so in the end this is the best bargain. But apart from this I appreciated your search effort, and never took your search for granted. :-*

vandermolen

Contains works that I greatly enjoy by Parry and Bantock.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

JBS

Quote from: JBS on November 30, 2022, 08:04:27 PMJust now, off Amazon US

Amazon screwed up the delivery on this, so I cancelled it this morning. No Brian Blessed for me in the near term.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on December 12, 2022, 12:48:16 PMAmazon screwed up the delivery on this, so I cancelled it this morning. No Brian Blessed for me in the near term.
Oof!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 11, 2022, 03:30:36 PMContains works that I greatly enjoy by Parry and Bantock.

Max is an odd bedfellow.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2022, 04:20:31 AM
I like the Stein Sibelius set. Some of those were my first encounters with Sibelius on LP.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

j winter

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 07, 2022, 03:06:53 AM

I resisted for a year, but prices got tooooo good.

I just ordered the Muti set as well... Merry Christmas to me!   ;D  Hard to resist at just over a buck per disc, and there are quite a few recordings that are new to me.  Also Philadelphia is my local major orchestra, so it's nice to have as a companion to all of the Ormandy on my shelves. 

I've considered the Barbirolli box as well, but I've already got large chunks of it (Mahler, Brahms, Sibelius, Elgar...), so decided it wasn't worth it.  Great stuff, though...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

JBS

Quote from: j winter on December 13, 2022, 07:38:30 AMI just ordered the Muti set as well... Merry Christmas to me!   ;D  Hard to resist at just over a buck per disc, and there are quite a few recordings that are new to me.  Also Philadelphia is my local major orchestra, so it's nice to have as a companion to all of the Ormandy on my shelves.

I've considered the Barbirolli box as well, but I've already got large chunks of it (Mahler, Brahms, Sibelius, Elgar...), so decided it wasn't worth it.  Great stuff, though...

Re Barbirolli
The new remasterings are worth getting if you don't have them.
They're available in the new budget boxes, if you don't want the full big box. The big box itself has more than a few things that are there for completeness's sake but can be skipped--but also one or two recordings that aren't easily available but worthwhile--particularly Elgar's Cello Concerto and Allegro for Strings--alternate performances just as good as the famous versions but lost in their shadow.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

ritter

Taking advantage of a discount coupon from jpc.

I first got to know this quite beautiful opera from a bootleg recording (in Italian translation) of a performance at the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino from 1956 (IIRC), conducted by Giulini and with the wonderful Anita Cerquetti as the female lead. There's also a RAI broadcast (in French) under Peter Maag, but it's not very polished. Now Les Abencérages gets the full Bru Zane treatment, although the presence of many singers who are not native French speakers makes me sceptical as to whether the performance is really idiomatic. In any case, it'll be nice to have a new recording of this, one of Cherubini's best operas IMHO.

A very appealing programme to me, the main draw being the Gilbert Amy Sonata (a work I do not know at all). This will be my first encounter with pianist James W. Iman.