Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Madiel on February 06, 2023, 12:58:00 AMI'd be interested in thoughts on the Brahms piano sets. Plowright was kind of on my radar.

Last year, I went through an 'update' of my Brahm's Solo Piano collection and concentrated on the three sets below - did a lot of Spotify sampling and read a bunch of reviews (attached are the ones on Plowright) - can't say that any would displease me but decided on Plowright and Couteau - could add Douglas but two sets are enough for me.  Dave :)

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on February 07, 2023, 12:03:21 PMI suppose you got that (superb) haul from the Av. des Ternes, Tassos?

How was Paris? How was Tristan? How was Carmen? Enquiring minds want to know!

Good evening to you!

Good morning, Rafael
The CD's are from Melomania, actually, at Boulevard Saint-Germain. Paris was great as always. No Americans searching for "Emily in Paris" locations and no(t many) Chinese selfie-ing and lovelock-ing around, either. La Joconde was almost feeling lonely (or relieved, depending on the angle you were looking at her). And I enjoyed those three consecutive nights at Opéra Bastille immensely. I'll post about the operas in the concert thread. 

vandermolen

Yesterday - second hand ('as new') from the online Oxfam charity shop:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on February 09, 2023, 01:47:55 AMYesterday - second hand ('as new') from the online Oxfam charity shop:

Ain't you a happy camper! No Oxfam Charity shops here :( . Am curious what you make of Alsop recordings. Still have Jarvi high on my fav list.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on February 09, 2023, 01:51:40 AMAin't you a happy camper! No Oxfam Charity shops here :( . Am curious what you make of Alsop recordings. Still have Jarvi high on my fav list.
Indeed I am Harry!  :)
I was torn between this and the Litton boxed set but my daughter already gave me Litton's (excellent) Prokofiev Sixth Symphony a couple of Christmases ago. Having said that I also have one of the Alsop recordings and enjoyed it. On both sets you get the Scythian Suite and the Love of Three Oranges etc. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I already have boxed sets of Prokofiev symphonies conducted by Weller, Jarvi (excellent - especially No.6), Rozhdestvensky, Martinon and Ozawa. I'm interested in the Kitajenko as well, having been enjoying the Shostakovich set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on February 09, 2023, 03:11:05 AMIndeed I am Harry!  :)
I was torn between this and the Litton boxed set but my daughter already gave me Litton's (excellent) Prokofiev Sixth Symphony a couple of Christmases ago. Having said that I also have one of the Alsop recordings and enjoyed it. On both sets you get the Scythian Suite and the Love of Three Oranges etc. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I already have boxed sets of Prokofiev symphonies conducted by Weller, Jarvi (excellent - especially No.6), Rozhdestvensky, Martinon and Ozawa. I'm interested in the Kitajenko as well, having been enjoying the Shostakovich set.

I only have the Jarvi box, and never felt the need to listen to other versions. But recently I streamed a bit from the second symphony by Kitajenko, and found it rather tame. But then I am spoiled by Jarvi alas.
I try to get away from multiple interpretations, for my CD chamber is already filled to the brim.
When my second streamer in the livingroom is installed I will stream the Alsop.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Wanderer

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on February 09, 2023, 03:18:43 AMI only have the Jarvi box, and never felt the need to listen to other versions. But recently I streamed a bit from the second symphony by Kitajenko, and found it rather tame. But then I am spoiled by Jarvi alas.
I try to get away from multiple interpretations, for my CD chamber is already filled to the brim.
When my second streamer in the livingroom is installed I will stream the Alsop.
That sounds very sensible Harry (probably too sensible for me  ;D ). Having said that I've reached a stage in my life when I feel that I should be reducing my CD and book collection rather than accumulating more and more. I have, to some extent, been doing this already and there is something therapeutic about it (my wife is supportive as well  ::) ) I think that the Jarvi set is excellent, so you are right to be content with that. Meanwhile I look forward to receiving the Allsop set!  ;D

DavidW

Quote from: vandermolen on February 09, 2023, 01:47:55 AMYesterday - second hand ('as new') from the online Oxfam charity shop:

That is currently my favorite set.  I also like her Romeo and Juliet, which you probably won't find in that box.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Nice! A fine set.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on February 08, 2023, 10:48:45 AM

ATMA Classique and Festival Classica are very pleased to present the largest lyric cycle ever undertaken in Canada: a 13-CD set of the complete mélodies by the prolific French composer Jules Massenet (1842-1912). 13CD BOX ~ 333 SONGS ~ 13 UNPUBLISHED SONGS ~ 31 PREMIERE RECORDINGS

This box set also represents one of the most ambitious projects devoted to French melody in the history of modern recording.

Under the artistic direction of baritone Marc Boucher, who is also featured as a singer, the project brings together some of Quebec's most beautiful voices: Karina Gauvin, Anna-Sophie Neher, Magali Simard-Galdès, Julie Boulianne, Florence Bourget, Marie-Nicole Lemieux, Michèle Losier, Frédéric Antoun, Antoine Bélanger, Antonio Figueroa, Joé Lampron-Dandonneau, Éric Laporte, Hugo Laporte, Emmanuel Hasler accompanied by Olivier Godin on a historical Érard piano (1854).

In the hands of Olivier Godin, the piano part is pivotal and ever-present throughout this monumental undertaking. Other instrumentalists include cellist Stéphane Tétreault, violinist Antoine Bareil, guitarist David Jacques and harpist Valérie Milot. ATMA Classique founder Johanne Goyette assumes the role of recording producer.

Massenet's music will be performed on an 1854 Érard concert grand piano tuned to 435 Hz, the standard pitch decreed by an 1859 law in Paris. The aesthetics, mechanics, and sound of this exceptional instrument adds great distinction to the project.
Artists

Olivier Godin (piano, harmonium, harpsichord), Marie-Nicole Lemieux (contralto), Antonio Figueroa (tenor), Anna-Sophie Neher (soprano), Karina Gauvin (soprano), Jean-François Lapointe (baritone), Magali Simard-Galdès (soprano), Marc Boucher (baritone), Joé Lampron-Dandonneau (tenor), Hugo Laporte (baritone), David Jacques (guitar), Florence Bourget (contralto, soprano), Julie Boulianne (mezzo-soprano), Emmanuel Hasler (tenor), Éric Laporte (tenor), Michèle Losier (mezzo-soprano), Sophie Naubert (soprano), Stéphane Tétreault (cello), Frédéric Antoun (tenor), Jean Marchand (narrator), Antoine Bareil (violin), Valérie Milot (harp), Marie-Ève Pelletier (narrator), Antoine Bélanger (tenor)

I have only one recording with Massenet songs

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on February 09, 2023, 09:54:49 AMI have only one recording with Massenet songs

I already had these:

which I unreservedly enjoy. Massenet was a superb melodist who wrote supremely sensuous and elegant music --- so when the opportunity presented itself to have his whole non-operatic vocal output in a classy presentation I simply could not have missed it. Plus, I'm a Lieder / Melodies / Art Songs / Whatever buff, so double reason to get this set. Actually, I can hardly wait to get started with it.

That being said, the |Laplante / Lachance recording must be a very tasty thing.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Traverso

A new recording with van Asperen is always something special and in this case with a composer completely unknown to me. I was able to listen to some fragments and I was immediately enthusiastic.

Delivery next month

Operafreak

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Traverso

Quote from: Operafreak on February 10, 2023, 04:58:01 AM

That is a great box, the disadvantage (for me) is that what interests me is already in my possession. Anyway, congratulations on this acquisition.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Operafreak on February 10, 2023, 04:58:01 AM

I would love to have that, but it ain't cheap.

I also have most of "important" recordings by Haitink. But like the colossal Karajan boxes I got, it is the stuff that they are supposedly not good at that turns out to be the most interesting. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

I saw Tirebiter mention this and was immediately intrigued. I tend to enjoy everything I hear by Tansman, although I found the symphony series on Chandos underwhelming, due to sedate recordings, I think.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

Quote from: Traverso on February 10, 2023, 04:45:33 AMA new recording with van Asperen is always something special and in this case with a composer completely unknown to me. I was able to listen to some fragments and I was immediately enthusiastic.

Delivery next month

You'll love the music by "Charles" Dieupart, a French composer based in London.
Bach was an big admirer of these suites, performed them and copied them out. You'll find that there is a strong stylistic connection between these suites and Bach's own English Suites, which do not sound English at all but French...  8)