Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Quote from: Que on February 10, 2023, 11:41:46 PMYou'll love the music by "Charles" Dieupart, a French composer based in London.
Bach was an big admirer of these suites, performed them and copied them out. You'll find that there is a strong stylic connection between these suites and Bach's own English Suites, which do not sound English at all but French...  8)

That are exactly my thoughts too.... Hopefully next week at my doorstep. :)

DavidW

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DavidW

Quote from: premont on February 11, 2023, 09:05:50 AMi would be interested in your opinion of this.

I usually listen to Reiner but I decided to branch out and found that this recording is every bit as dramatic as Reiner and also even sounds more colorful at times.  I don't know if that is due to the sound or the performance.  The entire album is memorizing from the beginning to the end.  I was going to listen to it once and move on (I don't even know I selected to stream it) but I ended up listening to it three times over in a couple of weeks.

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on February 11, 2023, 11:47:18 AMI usually listen to Reiner but I decided to branch out and found that this recording is every bit as dramatic as Reiner and also even sounds more colorful at times.  I don't know if that is due to the sound or the performance.  The entire album is memorizing from the beginning to the end.  I was going to listen to it once and move on (I don't even know I selected to stream it) but I ended up listening to it three times over in a couple of weeks.
I think that album is absolutely amazing. I've posted about it before, but with the search function broken, I can't find it. Anyway, incredibly exciting playing and clear sound.

classicalgeek

Quote from: DavidW on February 11, 2023, 07:51:21 AM

I'm so glad you ordered this box, David! I'm absolutely loving mine... after listening to a couple discs of their Dvorak, I'm sampling their Beethoven. Just stunning!

I've heard nothing but good things about Mälkki's Bartok, and sampling via Spotify has backed it up. Definitely on my radar!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

premont

Quote from: DavidW on February 11, 2023, 11:47:18 AMI usually listen to Reiner but I decided to branch out and found that this recording is every bit as dramatic as Reiner and also even sounds more colorful at times.  I don't know if that is due to the sound or the performance.  The entire album is memorizing from the beginning to the end.  I was going to listen to it once and move on (I don't even know I selected to stream it) but I ended up listening to it three times over in a couple of weeks.

Thanks. I realize that I need it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Papy Oli

Some used copies on the way:

Olivier

DavidW

lol I meant "mesmerizing" and "know HOW I selected to stream it."  In my defense I had a headache and I was exhausted yesterday. 

Wanderer

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Que

Florestan

Quote from: Que on February 13, 2023, 11:20:28 AMNaturally my full endorsement.  :)

It's been on seek-and-capture mode since you posted it yesterday. I confess I had to dig deeper than I expected.

QuoteInteresting!

Hat tip to Spotted Horses for these. Naturally, I can let anyone interested have them, a PM would suffice.

Spotted Horses

As an admirer of Bach's works for unaccompanied cello and unaccompanied violin, I am interested in similar works by other composers. There are Reger's suites for viola and cello, and I've acquired this recording of Hindemith's unaccampanied viola works.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

I ordered these from Presto the first week of January. I was getting ready to file a claim for being lost in transit, but fortunately they showed up in my mailbox today. Presumably the Royal Mail meltdown was the problem, although they were shipped a full week before the announcement that the Royal Mail was in meltdown mode.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Ephraim Bonus on February 13, 2023, 06:56:33 PMI ordered these from Presto the first week of January. I was getting ready to file a claim for being lost in transit, but fortunately they showed up in my mailbox today. Presumably the Royal Mail meltdown was the problem, although they were shipped a full week before the announcement that the Royal Mail was in meltdown mode.

I hope you enjoy that Mahler set as much as I do!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Neumann's Mahler set is excellent.  Enjoy!

Florestan

Contents

Piano Concerto No. 9 in E-flat major, K271 "Jeunehomme" [32:16]
Maria Bergmann (piano)
Recorded: 28 March 1956
Piano Concerto No. 17 in G major, K453 [30:02]
Géza Anda (piano)
Recorded: 15 March 1952
Piano Concerto No. 14 in E flat major, K449 [22:30]
Friedrich Gulda (piano)
Recorded: 16 January 1962
Piano Concerto No. 21 in C major, K467 'Elvira Madigan' [27:47]
Monique Haas (piano)
Recorded: 19 November 1956
Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major, K488 [23:46]
Robert Casadesus (piano)
Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major, K488 [26:25]
Friedrich Gulda (piano)
Recorded: 14 April 1959
Horn Concerto No. 2 in E flat major, K417 [13:52]
Dennis Brain (horn)
Recorded: 06 May 1953
Horn Concerto No. 3 in E flat major, K447 [15:05]
Dennis Brain (horn)
Recorded: 06 May 1953
Horn Concerto No. 2 in E flat major, K417 [14:14]
Domenico Ceccarossi (horn)
Recorded: 21 December 1955
Bassoon Concerto in B flat major, K191 [17:21]
Helmut Müller (bassoon)
Recorded: 23 June 1956
Oboe Concerto In C major, K314 [20:06]
Horst Schneider (oboe)
Recorded: 15 June 1957
Flute & Harp Concerto in C major, K299 [31:38]
Ernst Bodensohn (flute), Annemarie Schmeisser (harp)
Recorded: 19 December 1962
Sinfonia Concertante for Violin, Viola & Orchestra in E flat major, K364 [30:53]
Ludwig Bus (violin), Ulrich Koch (viola)
Recorded: 22 February 1960
Symphony No. 31 in D, K297 'Paris' [17:27]
Recorded: 28 June 1956
Symphony No. 36 in C major, K425 'Linz' [24:04]
Recorded: 29 December 1956
Symphony No. 38 in D major, K504 'Prague' [24:44]
Recorded: 13 April 1959
Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K550 [25:32]
Recorded: 19 June 1957
Recording Venue: Hans-Rosbaud-Studio, Germany
Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K550 [27:14]
Recorded: 25 May 1962
Notturno in D major K286 [13:27]
Recorded: 27 January 1956
Serenade No. 13 in G major, K525 'Eine kleine Nachtmusik' [17:41]
Recorded: 5 December 1955
Serenade No. 11 in E flat major, K375 [26:04]
Horst Schneider (oboe), Fritz Strowitzki (oboe), Sepp Fackler (clarinet), Hermann Nobs (clarinet), Karl Arnold (horn), Karlheinz Beinke (horn), Hans Zuther (bassoon), Kurt Burkert (bassoon)
Recorded: 16 November 1951
Serenade No. 10 in B flat major, K361 'Gran Partita' [43:54]
Horst Schneider (oboe), Fritz Strowitzki (oboe), Sepp Fackler (clarinet), Hermann Nobs (clarinet), Hans Lemser (basset horn), Karl Meiser (basset horn), Karl Arnold (horn), Karlheinz Beinke (horn), Heinrich Eichner (horn), Hans Zuther (bassoon), Kurt Burkert (bassoon), Alfred Steinmüller (contrabassoon)
Recorded: 22 January 1956
Die Zauberflöte, K. 620: Overture [6:58]
Recorded: 31 January 1962
Der Schauspieldirektor, K. 486: Overture [3:57]
Recorded: 12 January 1961
Ch'io mi scordi di te?... Non temer, amato bene, K505 [10:31]
Suzanne Danco (soprano), Maria Bergmann (piano)
Recorded: 13 November 1953
Se al labbro mio non credi, K295 [11:41]
Helmut Krebs (tenor)
Recorded: 1 December 1955
Recitative & Aria 'Or che il dover - Tali e cotanti sono' KV 36 [9:22]
Helmut Krebs (tenor)
Recorded: 1 December 1955
Or che il dover, K. 36 [9:22]
Recorded: 2 December 1955
Va, dal furor portata, K21 [6:33]
Helmut Krebs (tenor)
Con ossequio, con rispetto, KV 210 [2:40]
Helmut Krebs (tenor)
Recorded: 2 December 1955
Per questa bella mano, concert aria, K 612 [7:28]
Kim Borg (bass)
Recorded: 7 December 1955
Mentre ti lascio, K513 [8:52]
Kim Borg (bass)
Recorded: 7 December 1955

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 14, 2023, 05:10:02 AMI hope you enjoy that Mahler set as much as I do!

a definite +1 for the Mahler!