Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Been on an Orfeo mood today.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

VW Mass - the samples on the Presto website indicate that this could be the finest recording I have heard of this work:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on March 23, 2023, 07:46:21 PMI was about to ask why you picked an apparently unheard of pianist, and why he needed two CDs to record the Waltzes...
But remembered just in time that you had recently mentioned you were interested in buying scores...

Yeah, that Urtext record label does some funny things.

EDIT: It's interesting whether they "need" 2 volumes for the waltzes in this format, either, but one of the things about the Chopin national edition is that they are extremely rigorous about separating the works that Chopin arranged to be published from the ones that he didn't. Opus numbers beyond 65 are referred to with great reluctance and quietly, just because the rest of the world is going to keep asking whether they've got the right work. They're also extremely tetchy about titles for works.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on March 25, 2023, 05:45:55 AMYeah, that Urtext record label does some funny things.

EDIT: It's interesting whether they "need" 2 volumes for the waltzes in this format, either, but one of the things about the Chopin national edition is that they are extremely rigorous about separating the works that Chopin arranged to be published from the ones that he didn't. Opus numbers beyond 65 are referred to with great reluctance and quietly, just because the rest of the world is going to keep asking whether they've got the right work. They're also extremely tetchy about titles for works.

I infer yoo can actually play Chopin's Waltzes, or at least find your way through them. Impressive, kudos! How I wish I was able to play an instrument myself... it's one of the biggest frustrations in my life, really.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2023, 07:36:00 AMI infer yoo can actually play Chopin's Waltzes, or at least find your way through them. Impressive, kudos! How I wish I was able to play an instrument myself... it's one of the biggest frustrations in my life, really.

It's not too late. Go find yourself a cheap guitar. I'd say get a piano as it seems that's probably more in line with your interests, but they can be quite big and expensive.

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 25, 2023, 07:40:58 AMIt's not too late. Go find yourself a cheap guitar.

Do you think a 50-yo guy who can't even read a score would be able to learn playing the guitar?  ;D

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2023, 07:43:01 AMDo you think a 50-yo guy who can't even read a score would be able to learn playing the guitar?  ;D

Oh yes, my dad learned to play in his 50s.

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 25, 2023, 07:44:08 AMOh yes, my dad learned to play in his 50s.

Well, good to know. Thank you for the encouragement. If I may ask, what repertoire can he play and how many years did he study?

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2023, 08:04:21 AMWell, good to know. Thank you for the encouragement. If I may ask, what repertoire can he play and how many years did he study?

He's no Segovia or John Williams but he plays a bit of Bach, a bit of Spanish classical, and a lot of fingerstyle blues, just playing for fun, you know. He picked it up a little after I started playing so about 15 years ago.

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 25, 2023, 11:51:09 AMHe's no Segovia or John Williams but he plays a bit of Bach, a bit of Spanish classical, and a lot of fingerstyle blues, just playing for fun, you know. He picked it up a little after I started playing so about 15 years ago.

Thank you a lot. I'd be very happy if I could play Twinkle, twinkle, little star!

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2023, 07:36:00 AMI infer yoo can actually play Chopin's Waltzes, or at least find your way through them. Impressive, kudos! How I wish I was able to play an instrument myself... it's one of the biggest frustrations in my life, really.

Not quite being able to play something can be just as big a frustration. Lol. But yes I can play. And I own a baby grand.

Chopin pieces I properly learned when I was having lessons included the op.50/3 mazurka and the op.62/2 nocturne. And the Tarantella pretty much. And the Barcarolle, though that is bloody hard and I'm not sure it ever got completely secure (but it's such a wonderful piece).

The degree to which I could play these things right now would vary considerably. Though there's now a serious risk the new neighbours will get subjected to my first Barcarolle attempt in years.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: absolutelybaching on March 25, 2023, 01:00:59 PMIt's Canberra: the kangaroos might get a bit miffed, but no-one of consequence will be nearby. Play away.

For someone who was supposedly ignoring me, it's nice that you can pop up to insult an entire city.

Madiel

Quote from: absolutelybaching on March 25, 2023, 11:59:14 PMIt was a joke about politicians on the one hand; and also an admiring comment on Canberra's proximity to nature on the other.

Yes well, if you have family who live here, you ought to know that there are just over 200 politicians and well over 400 thousand other people. You didn't mention politicians, you said that "no-one of consequence will be nearby".  Apparently, this includes your aunt and cousin.

Saying that it was just a joke and that I don't have a sense of humour is simply the classic way of not apologising for a rude remark. Or for your clumsiness at making a joke "about politicians" without actually mentioning politicians. I can't react to the brilliant joke you think you made, only to the one you actually made.

Madiel

Quote from: absolutelybaching on March 26, 2023, 01:02:23 AMEveryone and his blue kelpie knows Canberra is synonymous with politicians (and *lots* of civil servants doing their will). I didn't need to mention them explicitly for the point to get across to anyone who wasn't irascibly determined to take offence when none was actually being given.

Unlike you, apparently, my aunt and cousin have a sense of humour and would get the witty implication in a heartbeat.

I'm done with you and your current temper tantrum. By all means, foot-stomp some more. I won't be responding to it, however.

Right, so you were stereotyping and it's my fault for not having a sense of humour about you stereotyping my home. Say no more.

Todd

$0.00.  Picked it up for the free Josef Suk led Brandenburgs.  Got over eight hours of other free stuff, too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Wanderer

Florestan

JBS

I have a set from that series--Callas, I think.
IIRC, they're recordings from the Opera d'Oro label, and the presentation was pretty barebones even with the "rare historic photos". Like everything from Opera d'Oro, the quality varied rather wildly. But there should be some good things in each one.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

DavidW

Another repurchase:

Suzuki's performances of the major vocal works are fantastic, and I prefer them to Gardiner.  I have them as cd rips, but wanted a physical copy again just like I wanted with the Vanska Sibelius set.