Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Pohjolas Daughter

Recent purchases (besides the LPs that I had mentioned in the vinyl thread), on CD:

Penderecki, Vol. 2 (on Polskie Nagrania, PNCD 018)
Ligeti:  Musica Ricercata/ Capriccio 1 & 2, etc. (on Wergo 60131-50)
Erkki-Sven Tüür:  Magma (on Virgin Classics 0946 3 85785 2 9)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2023, 01:14:24 AMThe Karayev and Lajtha Symphony No.2 are works that I rate highly.

Thanks, Jeffrey - I'm excited for all the Lajtha symphonies, and I've listened to some Karayev and loved it. Can't wait to receive the whole order!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

ritter

Since I discovered her some years ago, I've become a great fan of mezzo-soprano Irma Kolassi. The elusive label Melism has released two volumes of live recordings by her, and I could grab Vol. 1 last year. Now Amazon.es finally had one copy of Vol. 2.

The main interest here is Schoenberg's Erwartung from 1952, conducted by none other than Hans Rosbaud (with the French National Radio Orchestra). This seems to have been the French première of the work, and I've read Mme. Kolassi was a last minute replacement for Birgit Nilsson. The rest of the disc is devoted to songs by Beethoven and Bartók.

Peter Power Pop

Franco_Manitobain

Put in an order today for this!

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 15, 2023, 01:42:36 PMThanks, Jeffrey - I'm excited for all the Lajtha symphonies, and I've listened to some Karayev and loved it. Can't wait to receive the whole order!
I look forward to hearing what you think of them James.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Quote from: Florestan on May 21, 2023, 07:19:44 AM

Late to the party but extremely good picks, and I commend you for venturing into this probably unfamiliar territory!  :)

Florestan

Quote from: Que on May 21, 2023, 07:54:14 AMLate to the party but extremely good picks, and I commend you for venturing into this probably unfamiliar territory!  :)

Not that unfamiliar, actually, over the years I've listened to some Sweelinck and I liked his music. I don't know why he chose to set the psalms in French, not in Dutch, but the result is marvelous. Also, the secular songs I've heard seemed to me quite Italianate. I really look forward to listening to the whole sets. I'm less keen on getting his complete keyboard works, though, as harpsichord is not quite my cup of tea.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

£14.00 S/H
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2023, 03:33:13 AM£14.00 S/H

That should be good primer to introduce you to British music! ;)

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2023, 03:33:13 AM£14.00 S/H

:-* Amazon says I bought this in October 2014 but I don't remember even having it.
Better go digging.

TD
This landed yesterday.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on May 23, 2023, 09:00:07 AMThat should be good primer to introduce you to British music! ;)
HAHA  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on May 23, 2023, 12:25:22 PM:-* Amazon says I bought this in October 2014 but I don't remember even having it.
Better go digging.

TD
This landed yesterday.

I rate Bloch and Achron highly but don't know the others. I wasn't aware of that British Music box set before.

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2023, 12:30:59 PMI rate Bloch and Achron highly but don't know the others. I wasn't aware of that British Music box set before.

The liner notes say they tried to focus on the more obscure composers, and specifically left out Weinberg because his music was already undergoing a revival.

The basic link is that they were composing in the USSR prior to the Stalinist repressions. Some went to the UK or the US, some ended up in the gulag, some just faded into obscurity.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on May 21, 2023, 12:27:37 AMI look forward to hearing what you think of them James.

Thanks, Jeffrey! They're on the listening backlog. I want to work my way through the Lutoslawski orchestral music box first, among other things!

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 23, 2023, 01:33:42 PMThanks, Jeffrey! They're on the listening backlog. I want to work my way through the Lutoslawski orchestra music box first, among other things!
I really like the Concerto for Orchestra. I was in a small group talking to Lutoslawski when he came to my university in the North of England in the early/mid 1970s, although I didn't speak to him myself as I don't think that I knew any of his music at the time.

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on May 23, 2023, 01:13:34 PMThe liner notes say they tried to focus on the more obscure composers, and specifically left out Weinberg because his music was already undergoing a revival.

The basic link is that they were composing in the USSR prior to the Stalinist repressions. Some went to the UK or the US, some ended up in the gulag, some just faded into obscurity.
Thanks Jeffrey - that's interesting to know.

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2023, 01:37:41 PMI really like the Concerto for Orchestra. I was in a small group talking to Lutoslawski when he came to my university in the North of England in the early/mid 1970s, although I didn't speak to him myself as I don't think that I knew any of his music at the time.

The Concerto for Orchestra is probably the Lutoslawski work with which I'm most familiar, familiar being a relative term! I really enjoy it, especially Seiji Ozawa's recording with the Chicago Symphony. How fascinating that you got to meet him - or at least be in the same room as he was! Interestingly, he was slated to give a composition master class and conduct the Cleveland Orchestra in a program of his music my freshman year at Oberlin, in the spring of 1994. I remember the entire composition department was looking forward to it all year - but sadly he passed away in February of that year, so it wasn't to be. :( I think the Cleveland Orchestra still visited campus, but they played an entirely different program.