Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 23, 2023, 03:02:43 PMThe Concerto for Orchestra is probably the Lutoslawski work with which I'm most familiar, familiar being a relative term! I really enjoy it, especially Seiji Ozawa's recording with the Chicago Symphony. How fascinating that you got to meet him - or at least be in the same room as he was! Interestingly, he was slated to give a composition master class and conduct the Cleveland Orchestra in a program of his music my freshman year at Oberlin, in the spring of 1994. I remember the entire composition department was looking forward to it all year - but sadly he passed away in February of that year, so it wasn't to be. :( I think the Cleveland Orchestra still visited campus, but they played an entirely different program.
Oh, that's sad. I remember that when he was talking to the small group of students he seemed friendly. He was quite small I recall.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

A few bits and bobs over the last fortnight:

Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 24, 2023, 11:51:29 AMA few bits and bobs over the last fortnight:

Nice haul, Olivier.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 24, 2023, 11:51:29 AMA few bits and bobs over the last fortnight:

Hey Papy - many of those look quite familiar to me -  ;D  Enjoy!  Dave

Spotted Horses

One of my favorite recordings!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Papy, the Albinoni, Bach and Brahms recordings are all great.

JBS

@Papy Oli
Hip hip hooray for the Heinichen!

That Chandos Albinoni set has been on my wishlist for some time. I do need to get around to actually getting it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

ritter

Some boxes I inevitably would get sooner or later:

Found a competitively priced copy online. I have all of the Stravinsky stuff, of course, and the Webern, and some of the early music Robert Craft conducted, but none of his Berg, or his early Schoenberg, the Hindemith / Debussy disc, etc.

Bought this evening at FNAC in downtown Madrid. Mainly for Pierné's complete piano works with Diane Anderson, plus some historical stuff and orchestral pieces that were absent from my collection (Paysages franciscains, Les Cathédrales...).

Papy Oli

Quote from: Florestan on May 24, 2023, 11:53:12 AMNice haul, Olivier.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 24, 2023, 12:58:21 PMHey Papy - many of those look quite familiar to me -  ;D  Enjoy!  Dave

Quote from: DavidW on May 24, 2023, 04:20:15 PMPapy, the Albinoni, Bach and Brahms recordings are all great.

Quote from: JBS on May 24, 2023, 06:46:27 PM@Papy Oli
Hip hip hooray for the Heinichen!

Thanks all, I have streamed and really enjoyed all of them many times prior to purchase.

The exception was Albononi on CPO...

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 24, 2023, 03:20:06 PMOne of my favorite recordings!

...but your advocacy of this recording in recent weeks made me do it, @Spotted Horses  ;D 

Quote from: JBS on May 24, 2023, 06:46:27 PM@Papy Oli
That Chandos Albinoni set has been on my wishlist for some time. I do need to get around to actually getting it.

It is a gorgeous lively set, @JBS .

Olivier

vers la flamme

Not recordings, but I found some great Bach scores at Half Price Books in Marietta GA today. The Matthäus-Passion and 11 cantatas including some of my favorites: Ich hatte viel Bekümmernis, the Actus Tragicus, Christ lag in Todesbanden. Full vocal and instrumental score. I'm going to see if I can try and learn the tenor parts. Also, I found a copy of Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Representation Vol. 1, DBK would be proud of me ;D

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on May 27, 2023, 09:33:33 AM

What the hell?

Great recording of Pastorale d'été by Honegger in that set.

Ooops, that would be the companion set of classical and romantic recordings.

Ooops, that was Cobos. Nevermind.

It turns out I've never heard of Corboz before.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 27, 2023, 09:53:50 AMGreat recording of Pastorale d'été by Honegger in that set.

Ooops, that would be the companion set of classical and romantic recordings.

Ooops, that was Cobos. Nevermind.

It turns out I've never heard of Corboz before.
This post was a little journey  ;D

(I had never heard of Corboz until these giant boxes either but apparently he was Erato's house choral guy.)

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 27, 2023, 10:19:57 AM(I had never heard of Corboz until these giant boxes either but apparently he was Erato's house choral guy.)

I have heard him accompanying Maria João Pires in Bach, but that's it.  That means this set has 73 new to me CDs, including some composers I've never heard and twenty discs (!) of Monteverdi.  Erato boxes have been qualitatively reliable, so I doubt I am disappointed. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on May 27, 2023, 10:19:57 AMThis post was a little journey  ;D

It's called encroaching senility. :(

VonStupp

Quote from: Todd on May 27, 2023, 10:29:04 AMI have heard him accompanying Maria João Pires in Bach, but that's it.  That means this set has 73 new to me CDs, including some composers I've never heard and twenty discs (!) of Monteverdi.  Erato boxes have been qualitatively reliable, so I doubt I am disappointed.

Neat. I know him mostly for his Romantic Era and 20th Century oratorios, cantatas, and such. His Portuguese-based Gulbekian Orchestra and Chorus weren't too bad either. If there was much recorded competition, I found him a little too efficient comparatively, a blanket statement that I would need to revisit to remember specifics. The box looks intriguing, though.

I did really like his Suppe & Bomtempo Requiems and Mendelssohn Psalms that I listened to most recently following his death a year or two ago.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Wanderer

Papy Oli

one more Herreweghe Bach volume (that will make 5 out of 9)

Olivier

Wanderer

Brian

used copies of two discs that are getting hard to find either physically or on streaming:

Barenboim's Mahler 7
Lowell Liebermann piano concertos with Hamelin on Hyperion