Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

JBS

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 22, 2024, 06:26:32 AMI have a long list of Hindemith sonata recordings, including that one, along with these.

This is another recent purchase:

What's the one with Zack like? The Reger attracts me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

plucked some stuff off my Amazon wishlist. Mostly Mozart-ian.

Contents of the Norrington

Amazon blurb of Goebel's CD, which is actually not-really-music
With "New Mozart," conductor Reinhard Goebel, the "tireless discoverer" (Rondo), once again shows what treasures continue to be discovered in the music archives: For his new project "New Mozart" with the Mozarteumorchester Salzburg, he deals with musical treasures that revolve around the music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The first album already presents a world premiere recording: the orchestral version of the the serenade "Gran Partita" KV 361 by Mozart. The "Gran Partita" for large wind and string ensembles was arranged by the Bavarian composer and Mozart expert Franz Gleissner (1761-1818) into an orchestral version and published in 1800 as "Sinfonia concertante" Op. 91. Also worth discovering on "New Mozart" is the rarely recorded Violin Concerto in E-flat Major K. 268, which was attributed to Mozart. In the meantime, it is certain that the Violin Concerto in E-flat Major was written by an unknown Mozart contemporary, despite many musical parallels to Mozart. Whoever the true author may be, the new recording under Reinhard Goebel with violinist Mirijam Contzen as soloist is in any case a repertoire enrichment, since there is still a lack of attention for the violin concertos of Mozart's contemporaries. Whoever wrote this work during Mozart's lifetime succeeded in creating a concerto that is highly demanding in terms of playing technique and at the same time shines with a cantabile quality that is reminiscent of Mozart from afar

JBS

More TD: from Presto yesterday

The Czech concerto CD is purely speculative on my part.

steve ridgway

Some used Messiaen CDs:

Brian

Two people buying the same Messiaen album 5 posts apart, that's cool! Anyone else?  8)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on March 22, 2024, 05:37:13 PMWhat's the one with Zack like? The Reger attracts me.

I've only listened to the Reger unaccompanied sonata Op 11, no 6, so far. Performance and audio are satisfying.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Adding one more release to my collection of Hindemith Sonatas.

At this point I have mostly rounded out my collection of sonatas (selected after listening in total or in part by streaming). A few odds and ends still absent, according to my spreadsheet.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

First time buying from Supraphon online.  I was prepared to drop ~$50 on the Paik on eBay, but I did not have to.  The LvB quartets and Abbado big box - each ~$8 - look like I will have to download one disc at a time.  No biggie for the LvB, but a time waster for the Abbado.  If all goes well, I will probably get the Reiner box and the complete Boulez CBS box, or around 90 hours of music for ~$16. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

The complete $8 Abbado on two record labels!?!  What!?  I will have to pull the trigger tomorrow.  I imprinted on Beethoven's SQs through the 60s cycle.  I did not know they rerecorded it in the 80s.

Maestro267

Ravel: Piano Trio; Sonata for violin and cello; Violin Sonata; Berceuse sur le nom de Gabriel Faure
Rouvier (piano), Kantorow (violin), Muller (cello)

Chopin: Cello Sonata
Franck: Cello Sonata
Harnoy (cello), Katsaris (piano)

Just realized I accidentally posted this in WAYLT instead of this thread.

Spotted Horses

Monteux, complete RCA

I passed it up the first time, and vowed not to make that mistake again. A place is reserved for it next to my copy of the Monteux complete Decca set.

First jpc purchase in a long while.

steve ridgway

50p each from charity shop in Rochdale. I don't know who the bonus track on the Planets CD is by, it doesn't say. ;)

DavidW

As downloads, the first two from Qobuz, the third from Presto and the fourth from 7digital.

steve ridgway

Quote from: DavidW on March 26, 2024, 07:07:45 AM

Always check the swimming pool contains water before attempting a backwards dive  :'(.

Harry

Quote from: Brian on March 23, 2024, 05:49:02 AMTwo people buying the same Messiaen album 5 posts apart, that's cool! Anyone else?  8)

Never ;D  ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 26, 2024, 06:45:17 AM50p each from charity shop in Rochdale. I don't know who the bonus track on the Planets CD is by, it doesn't say. ;)

Two EXCELLENT buys if I recognise them right.  The Stravinsky "Rite" is Skrowaczeski and Minnesota I think - really very very good (an old Vox recording - the concerto is Heinrich Hollreiser, Walter Klein, Pro Musica Orchestra Vienna I think - OK but nothing special) and the Holst is RPO/Groves isn't it?  St. Paul's Suite is a work of genuine genius too.  My memory of Groves' Planets is its quite centrist - ie no big surprises - but well played and solidly engineered.  Its been mentioned before - Groves in his lifetime was overlooked by "bigger" British conducting names - Boult/Barbirolli etc but he was a fine musician.....

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on March 23, 2024, 05:49:02 AMTwo people buying the same Messiaen album 5 posts apart, that's cool! Anyone else?  8)

Well I've had my eye not on those albums, but on this bad boy for awhile now, but no trigger pulling yet:

For Messaien I tend to favor the organ and piano works.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 26, 2024, 08:36:19 AMTwo EXCELLENT buys if I recognise them right.  The Stravinsky "Rite" is Skrowaczeski and Minnesota I think - really very very good (an old Vox recording - the concerto is Heinrich Hollreiser, Walter Klein, Pro Musica Orchestra Vienna I think - OK but nothing special) and the Holst is RPO/Groves isn't it?  St. Paul's Suite is a work of genuine genius too.  My memory of Groves' Planets is its quite centrist - ie no big surprises - but well played and solidly engineered.  Its been mentioned before - Groves in his lifetime was overlooked by "bigger" British conducting names - Boult/Barbirolli etc but he was a fine musician.....

That's right - Groves, Skrowaczewski and Hollreiser (he'll tear your solo apart >:D  ).

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy