Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

I remember having received many moons ago from the Romanian Post a package sent to me from The Netherlands by our esteemed colleague @Harry containing the Hans Pfizner chamber music CPO boxset. When I collected it at the post office the package looked as if it had been carried by a fish down the Rhine-Main-Danube route: so soaked that my address was barely legible and Harry's not at all. When I asked wtf was that, the clerk told me it's how it had been delivered and I was actually lucky that they could read my address.  :laugh: Well, I was also lucky in that dear Harry was cautious enough to impermeably wrap the box before packaging it. To this day I keep wondering what could have happened.
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

ritter

Well, you couldn't blame the Post Office if they disposed of Pfitzner as "hazardous", could you?  ;D

DavidW

After another delay on US Amazon (btw it is in stock and shipping on Presto), I cancelled my pre-order on the Vanska Mahler set.  And I ordered from eclassical... and lo and behold the monday50 code still worked!!!  I got the whole thing for $23.

That also means that I just blind bought the third because I have not streamed it yet.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2024, 07:20:22 AMAfter another delay on US Amazon (btw it is in stock and shipping on Presto), I cancelled my pre-order on the Vanska Mahler set.  And I ordered from eclassical... and lo and behold the monday50 code still worked!!!  I got the whole thing for $23.

That also means that I just blind bought the third because I have not streamed it yet.

...and the code still worked on June 8th. I don't feel so bad for taking advantage of them since electrons are cheap.

And now it occurs to me that MI told us how he had to cancel his amazon.com pre-order to get a global shipment from the UK that would arrive a week sooner because he wasn't sure if he would live long enough for the pre-order from amazon.com to arrive. Then he announced he is taking a break from classical music before either set could arrive.

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2024, 07:36:08 PMA bit of an update on this Mahler Vänskä set on BIS: I ended up cancelling the pre-order with Amazon US because it now shows a release date of June 21st and ended up pre-ordering the set on Amazon UK, which shows a release date of June 7th. The price on Amazon US and UK were only a few dollars --- plus, I got the Amazon Priority shipping with it, so I'll have it by the 12th or 13th. I know some people would say "Why not just wait until June 21st?" Well, we're not guaranteed a tomorrow and I want to at least have this Mahler Vänskä set in my possession before I go. ;)

The world is full of mysteries.

Another mystery is "why did I get this" since I'm not really that into Vanska.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

MI was definitely in the right on that one because Amazon US delayed again until July.  I canceled it and was going to buy it off Presto for instant shipping and a cheaper overall price... when... I thought of trying that ecoupon on eclassical again.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2024, 06:05:42 PM

At first I didn't care for this approach, but I've warmed to it quite a bit.  It is very unique and worth owning IMO.  It will sit beside Vanska I on my streamer.

Nice choice. I, too, have warmed to these later recordings. In my experience, Vänskä is always worth hearing since I feel he has such a different approach than so many other conductors.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2024, 07:20:22 AMAfter another delay on US Amazon (btw it is in stock and shipping on Presto), I cancelled my pre-order on the Vanska Mahler set.  And I ordered from eclassical... and lo and behold the monday50 code still worked!!!  I got the whole thing for $23.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 07, 2024, 11:23:30 PM...and the code still worked on June 8th. I don't feel so bad for taking advantage of them since electrons are cheap.

And now it occurs to me that MI told us how he had to cancel his amazon.com pre-order to get a global shipment from the UK that would arrive a week sooner because he wasn't sure if he would live long enough for the pre-order from amazon.com to arrive. Then he announced he is taking a break from classical music before either set could arrive.

The world is full of mysteries.

Another mystery is "why did I get this" since I'm not really that into Vanska.
Quote from: DavidW on June 08, 2024, 08:43:46 AMMI was definitely in the right on that one because Amazon US delayed again until July.  I canceled it and was going to buy it off Presto for instant shipping and a cheaper overall price... when... I thought of trying that ecoupon on eclassical again.

Yeah, I hate when things get pushed back and that date on Amazon US is just ridiculous and makes no sense considering it's now available overseas. Well, I'm glad both of you got the set even though @Spotted Horses  you're not much of a fan of Vänskä. I should be receiving it in the post tomorrow (fingers crossed there isn't some kind of delivery delay). Hopefully, I'll be listening to the first disc by tomorrow night. 8)
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Spotted Horses

And, by the way, Monday50 still works on eclassical, and I picked up the Vanska/Minnesota cycle for $17 and change. What motivated me was that Lahti cycle made a big impression and it would be interesting to see how his style developed. I listened to No 4 again this morning and it made a stronger impression. I am reminded I have to revisit the Karajan/Berlin recordings which were my introduction to most of Sibelius.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 07, 2024, 11:23:30 PMAnother mystery is "why did I get this" since I'm not really that into Vanska.
I'm thinking of buying the very highly praised 8 on CD but the price from Presto ($14 including shipping) is nearly the code price from eClassical for the whole cycle!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on June 09, 2024, 09:45:51 AMI'm thinking of buying the very highly praised 8 on CD but the price from Presto ($14 including shipping) is nearly the code price from eClassical for the whole cycle!

Presto used to be my go to site (almost exclusively downloads) but now not so much. Recently I've come across instances where they charge double or triple the price of Qobuz.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 09, 2024, 08:58:01 AMAnd, by the way, Monday50 still works on eclassical, and I picked up the Vanska/Minnesota cycle for $17 and change. What motivated me was that Lahti cycle made a big impression and it would be interesting to see how his style developed. I listened to No 4 again this morning and it made a stronger impression. I am reminded I have to revisit the Karajan/Berlin recordings which were my introduction to most of Sibelius.

Physical or digital download?

Spotted Horses

Mirror Image

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on June 09, 2024, 09:45:51 AMI'm thinking of buying the very highly praised 8 on CD but the price from Presto ($14 including shipping) is nearly the code price from eClassical for the whole cycle!

And that is with them having a BIS sale on too!  It is hard to beat downloads SOMETIMES.  For example, it was easier and cheaper to buy the Nott Mahler set physically than by download.

Maestro267

Debussy: Solo piano works; Fantaisie for piano and orchestra (cw Ravel PCs) (4CD)
Zoltan Kocsis (piano)

Bax: Piano Music (4CD)
Eric Parkin (piano)

Verdi: Requiem; Quattro pezzi sacri
Soloists, Hungarian State Opera Orchestra and Chorus/Morandi

Irons

It has taken years for me to fully appreciate the rarefied atmosphere of John Ireland's piano pieces. Without the special qualities of Alan Rowlands recordings which opened up a whole new sound world, I may have moved on.
I have already two volumes of a set of three, on early Lyrita LPs, but to complete the vinyl set is fairly expensive.

For a quarter of the price of the missing LP I purchased the complete set on CD. A sensible course of action, I think.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 10, 2024, 08:14:45 AMIt has taken years for me to fully appreciate the rarefied atmosphere of John Ireland's piano pieces. Without the special qualities of Alan Rowlands recordings which opened up a whole new sound world, I may have moved on.
I have already two volumes of a set of three, on early Lyrita LPs, but to complete the vinyl set is fairly expensive.

For a quarter of the price of the missing LP I purchased the complete set on CD. A sensible course of action, I think.

Which is the LP that you are missing Irons?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Just bought via Amazon UK:

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 11, 2024, 11:05:41 AMWhich is the LP that you are missing Irons?

PD

I got it wrong, PD. I am in fact three issues short on LP! Confusingly Lyrita do not distinguish between issues apart from LP number, which are RCS 15/23/24/28/29. I have 15 and 28. The set of three CDs (REAM.3112) is complete.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Irons on June 10, 2024, 08:14:45 AMIt has taken years for me to fully appreciate the rarefied atmosphere of John Ireland's piano pieces. Without the special qualities of Alan Rowlands recordings which opened up a whole new sound world, I may have moved on.

I looked this up and noted that it is a mono recording. You consider this a cut above the Eric Parkin recordings, Lyrita and Chandos (which I have but have not gotten around to listening to)?