Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 28, 2013, 06:37:38 AM
You were born in March too, eh? What's the date? Mine is one the 10th. By the way, thumbs on the Villa-Lobos. I'll be anxious to hear your opinion of it.
30 th. Spent many of my childhood birthdays on Easter holidays.  :(

jlaurson

Listen What the London Cat Dragged In:

H. Berlioz
Grande Messe des morts
Sir Colin Davis / LSO
LSO Live SACDs

German link - UK link

After I've finished with the Luto., I'll pop that in, methinks.

Conor71

Added these 2 this morning :):

Karl Henning

Landed to-day (snypsss, white courtesy telephone, please):

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on February 28, 2013, 09:39:53 AM
30 th. Spent many of my childhood birthdays on Easter holidays.  :(

Well at least it isn't on Christmas or New Year's. :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on February 28, 2013, 06:49:31 AM
Pheonix and LA. I may even decide to drive from LA to Oregon after that. There is also a possibility I may go to St. Louis as well.

Excellent. Hope you have a fun, and safe, trip! :)

Octave

[asin]B001CCHPKI[/asin]
Staier + Erard vs. Schumann (my first HIP Schumann recording?)

[asin]B0000060K4[/asin]
Schmidt vs. Rajter.  Hat-tip, Sarge.  There is another edition of the same Rajter recordings with this ASIN: B000001XPA
That one can be bought from Amazon France MP for ~18€ before shipping, FYI.  The other options I saw tended to be used and/or expensive.

[asin]B00000422P[/asin]
What is Mehtaphysics?  I got this for the Schmidt #4, though it seems the Mahler is supposed to be killer, too.  I saw another slightly older disc with this Schmidt coupled with Schoenberg CHAMBER SYMPH #1, which piece I really like; but I think I can get that Schoenberg on another Decca all-Schoenberg release.

[asin]B000QFAH8E[/asin]
Ce Diabolic Chant!  Phil Pickett and the Goth-Industrial Ensemble of London.

[asin]B000031WYM[/asin]
Fournier vs. Bruch, Bloch, Lalo, Saint-Saens: I don't know any of these composers well, so this will be a treat.  Not sure I've heard any of these pieces before.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

The new erato

Good for the industry that you are here Octave, now that Harry and John are retiring.

Opus106

Quote from: The new erato on February 28, 2013, 11:16:53 PM
Good for the industry that you are here Octave, now that [John] are retiring is on a sabbatical.
Regards,
Navneeth

Octave

Good for the industry that you are here Octave, now that Harry and John are retiring.

I can't tell you how many contortions I have to undergo to make it happen; I am 100% victim of Millenarian/End-Times/Apocalypto End-of-Hardmedia-Era acquisition panic.  I wish I made a lot more money than I do.

The new erato

Quote from: Octave on February 28, 2013, 11:50:14 PM
I am 100% victim of Millenarian/End-Times/Apocalypto End-of-Hardmedia-Era acquisition panic.
Affects me too. Though I suspect that the transistion to downloading will be easier than I think. Which again heightens the Millenarian/End-Times/Apocalypto End-of-Hardmedia-Era acquisition panic. This is a vicious, and when one reflects on it, selfdefeating circle.

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on March 01, 2013, 12:23:13 AM
Affects me too. Though I suspect that the transistion to downloading will be easier than I think. Which again heightens the Millenarian/End-Times/Apocalypto End-of-Hardmedia-Era acquisition panic. This is a vicious, and when one reflects on it, selfdefeating circle.

Funnily enough, there are a large number, maybe 70%, of record labels I've resolved to only buy through downloads. The others offer deluxe physical objects - harmonia mundi, Alia Vox, BIS etc. But when I wishlist MP3s at Amazon and ClassicsOnline... I never buy them. I don't know why. Perhaps it's because they're never "on sale," except that they're deeply discounted already. But when I want physical CDs from a premium label, or the latest idiotically cheap EMI box set, I'll place an order from Presto, ImportCDs, or whomever - and yet on ClassicsOnline my wishlist is 131 albums long (!) and yet I haven't bought anything from them in 18 months. Why? Why? I make no sense!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jlaurson

Listen What the Cat Dragged In:

Very busy cats today. This, from the Austrian Cat:

Rick LaSalle
Piano Sonatas, Ragtime
Ingrid Marsoner
Garmola

German link - UK link
Terrific, joyous, easy-to-listen-to music, but not easy listening. Composer that I had never heard of.

BenedictRandhartinger (1802-1893)
Lieder
Wolfgang Holzmair / Bernadette Bartos
Garmola

German link - UK link
This arrived a little earlier, but I hadn't listened to it yet: Benedict Randhartinger  - another composer I had never heard of. A Salieri student. Holzmair's contribution to the liner notes is titled: "Randhartinger - more than a Kleinmeister". Very smart writing and very fine arguments. And yes, there are gems among the lot. "Talisman", for one. But Randhartinger still remains a Kleinmeister. The question is rather: is there anything wrong with that... does that make not worth listening to, for anyone who likes Lieder, who likes the late classical (not quite yet romantic) style, Biedermeier period art & music.

US-links won't work until it's been released there.

TBC.

Mirror Image

Don't forget at my birthday haul and when Christmas rolls around who knows what I'll buy. :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Octave on February 28, 2013, 10:14:04 PM
[asin]B0000060K4[/asin]
Schmidt vs. Rajter.  Hat-tip, Sarge.

Happy you found an inexpensive copy. And I do hope you enjoy them.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Octave

I certainly will enjoy it, based on some samples I listened to, Sarge.  Thanks for your help and comparative descriptions and the Personal Essentials list that led me to that Schmidt recording in the first place.  I might also owe you thanks for the Renee Fleming recording below, but I am too lazy to check right now....

[asin]B003NEQATA[/asin]
Schuman vs. Schwarz.  Those in N. America might want to know that Amazon MP seller RedTagMarket has these 5cd sets for $11 right now, and eligible for free shipping if you add enough to meet the $25+ minimum.  I am hearing about strong performances from Bernstein etc, and I probably need to track those down, but $11?  I cannot refuse.

[asin]B0001TSWIW[/asin]
Young Renee vs. Rick in Poison Town.

[asin]B00004TEUY[/asin]
Ansermet is my pusher.  Hat-tip, MI

Karl Henning

Quote from: Octave on March 01, 2013, 08:35:21 AM
[asin]B003NEQATA[/asin]
Schuman vs. Schwarz.  Those in N. America might want to know that Amazon MP seller RedTagMarket has these 5cd sets for $11 right now, and eligible for free shipping if you add enough to meet the $25+ minimum.  I am hearing about strong performances from Bernstein etc, and I probably need to track those down, but $11?  I cannot refuse.

Nor ought you to! The few that Lenny recorded are arguably better, but as a cycle it deserves to be better known.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Octave

re: Schuman by Schwarz vs. by Lenny etc:
Quote from: karlhenning on March 01, 2013, 08:40:56 AM
Nor ought you to! The few that Lenny recorded are arguably better, but as a cycle it deserves to be better known.

Yes, iirc you said in the Schuman thread that the ~state-of-art sound for Schwarz is a big bonus for this music, but that the kind of ~demonic passion of some older recordings (not just Lenny?....cannot remember now) is just not to be missed.  More to hear....alas, it is the life.  Or: ah! this is the life.