Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Octave on March 01, 2013, 08:35:21 AMThose in N. America might want to know that Amazon MP seller RedTagMarket has these 5cd sets for $11 right now, and eligible for free shipping if you add enough to meet the $25+ minimum.

Young Renee vs. Rick in Poison Town.
Not anymore! Me thinks you got the last copy, as the $11 price is gone.

And speaking of "not anymore," hey! I LIKE Houston!

TheGSMoeller

Karl Henning

(* chortle *)

I felt a bit like that this week, between "Papa" & Corelli . . . but if I enjoy the journey, what matters that there's someone ahead of me on the road?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Listen What the Cat Dragged In:

Very busy cats today. This, from a West-German Cat:

C-M. Widor
Piano Trio op.19, Soirs d'Alsace op.52, Quatre Trios
Trio Parnassus
MDG

German link - UK link
Charming, s'pose.

F.Poulenc
Piano Sonatas, Ragtime
Holger Falk (baritone) / A.Zuppardo
MDG

German link - UK link
Very, very well sung (damn, the more I think about it, the more impressed I am) and great music, presuming a liking for melodies.

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on March 01, 2013, 04:56:49 AM
As a 'bookmark'?

I use my Amazon wishlist mainly as a place to keep track of recordings I'm interested in, but am in no hurry to buy, and may never buy.

Thread duty: landed in the last twenty four hours, from Arkivmusic, Prestoclassic, and I-Deals
Vivaldi: Ercole sul Termodonte (Biondi and all stars/Europa Galante)
Liszt: Via Crucis, etc. (Accentus)

And a chunk of Vladimir Feltsman (all on Nimbus/Nimbus Alliance):
Bach: Well Tempered Clavier
Beethoven: Sonatas 8, 14, and 23 (the "big name" sonatas); Sonatas 30-32
Chopin: Nocturnes (complete), Berceuse, Bacarolle; the four Ballades, Fantasie in f minor, Fantasie-Polonaise in A flat; Waltzes (complete) and Impromptus (complete)

And to top it all off, Presto emailed that they've shipped my order of the complete Solti Wagner box.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

At Reckless Records (Lakeview, Chicago) today, I traded in some CDs and got the following avant-garde discs.

3 CDs capturing several decades of electronic music:

My first disc by the spectralist Tristan Murail:

Will dig into these soon. By the way, I asked a Reckless employee how business was; she told me it was so good that they had recently opened two other stores in the Chicago area. Proof that there are still plenty of people who want to buy their music in an actual store.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Bogey

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 01, 2013, 08:51:41 AM

I'm such a follower.  :-X

It's the only way to survive on this forum, Greg. ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Bogey on March 01, 2013, 06:08:51 PM
It's the only way to survive on this forum, Greg. ;)

Thank you for the reassurance  ;D Now bring on those recommendations! 

Karl Henning

Bill, I owe you an answer! I am sure Matthew Best & the Corydon Singers are lovely in the Bruckner motets; I'm thinking of it as a complement to the Naxos disc.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

listener

arrived today at sikoras  BRIAN    Symphony 13, English Suite 4 and the Violin Concerto so I bought it - no waiting and keeps my b&m in business
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 01, 2013, 08:51:41 AM

I'm such a follower.  :-X

An excellent recording and one of my favorite Bernstein recordings. Bernstein nails Schuman.

Conor71

Picked up this one today:

madaboutmahler

It was a moment of extreme excitement and delight today at academy when one of my friend's told me that there was a cd sale being held at the canteen, each being sold for 50p only!!! I rushed over there are soon as possible and got these:

[asin]B000002ZZP[/asin]
[asin]B000003FA7[/asin]
[asin]B0000041OT[/asin]
[asin]B0000028XU[/asin]
All these 4 for just £2, couldn't believe my luck! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

Wow, Daniel! Those all look amazing, but I can vouch for the Dutoit Respighi being a real thriller - good job!  :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 02, 2013, 11:11:42 AM
It was a moment of extreme excitement and delight today at academy when one of my friend's told me that there was a cd sale being held at the canteen, each being sold for 50p only!!! I rushed over there are soon as possible and got these:

[asin]B000003FA7[/asin]

Great disc! Of course this is coming from the one Slatkin fan here on GMG  ;)

kishnevi

On a lead from Q...
[asin]B00020Q2ZA[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on March 01, 2013, 06:28:31 PM
Bill, I owe you an answer! I am sure Matthew Best & the Corydon Singers are lovely in the Bruckner motets; I'm thinking of it as a complement to the Naxos disc.

Thanks!  Those motets are just beautiful music. They are almost a reminder of early music to me.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 02, 2013, 11:11:42 AM

[asin]B000002ZZP[/asin]
[asin]B000003FA7[/asin]
[asin]B0000041OT[/asin]
[asin]B0000028XU[/asin]

Excellent, Daniel. Dutoit's Respighi isn't as thrilling as Muti/Philadelphia but it's certainly not bad. That Ax/Salonen recording is my favorite performance of Schoenberg's Piano Concerto. Nice choice there. The Ives Slatkin disc isn't bad at all. I'm not a Slatkin fan, but I can vouch for that one being very good. I don't know about that specific Mompou recording, but I do like his piano music.

listener

used at Sikoras, my local b&m
DVORAK: Requiem    conducted by Sawallisch
RANGSTRÖM: Symphonies 3 & 4
SCRIABIN: Symphonies 1 - 3, Poème de l'extase, Poem of Fire
Eliahu Inbal cond.   replacing the lp set that would have been quite a good one if it weren't pressed off-centre.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

kishnevi

another order from Arkivmusic

MI is to "blame" for the Adams, and Harry for the Bohm.  It's not quite fair to blame the Haydnistos for the Fey CD. so I think I will  :P