Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 02, 2013, 07:38:00 PM
another order from Arkivmusic

MI is to "blame" for the Adams

I'll happily accept the blame for the Harmonielehre MTT recording. If you know this work, then you'll be glad you bought this recording. It's seriously an outstanding performance. It's much better than Waart's on Nonesuch. MTT knows this work well and the SFSO play magnificently.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 02, 2013, 07:44:16 PM
I'll happily accept the blame for the Harmonielehre MTT recording. If you know this work, then you'll be glad you bought this recording. It's seriously an outstanding performance. It's much better than Waart's on Nonesuch. MTT knows this work well and the SFSO play magnificently.

I'm still only sitting with Rattle's Harmonielehre, and have yet to hear MTT but I agree with John on this piece, its amazing.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 02, 2013, 07:44:16 PM

Actually this will probably be my first hearing of Harmonielehre.  (I may have heard it at some point on radio or a TV broadcast.)   I have (that I can remember) three Adams CDs--Chloe Hanslip playing the Violin Concerto,  Alsop conducting Shaker Loops, Short Ride..., and something else (Naxos, both of them--I'm not in the mood to hunt up the Alsop recording and see what else is on it),   and the CD containing Son of Chamber Symphony (and something else....again,  I'm not in the mood to hunt it up to remind myself of the companion work on that CD)

ETA: Well, at least I can hunt up the Amazon listings without trouble
[asin]B000H4VZC6[/asin]
[asin]B004WJRIUA[/asin]
[asin]B00030B9F2[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 02, 2013, 07:50:01 PM
I'm still only sitting with Rattle's Harmonielehre, and have yet to hear MTT but I agree with John on this piece, its amazing.

I own four Harmonielehre performances:

Edo De Waart/SFSO
MTT/SFSO
Robertson/St. Louis SO (available as download only)
Rattle/CBSO

Yes, an amazing work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 02, 2013, 07:54:14 PM
Actually this will probably be my first hearing of Harmonielehre.  (I may have heard it at some point on radio or a TV broadcast.)   I have (that I can remember) three Adams CDs--Chloe Hanslip playing the Violin Concerto,  Alsop conducting Shaker Loops, Short Ride..., and something else (Naxos, both of them--I'm not in the mood to hunt up the Alsop recording and see what else is on it),   and the CD containing Son of Chamber Symphony (and something else....again,  I'm not in the mood to hunt it up to remind myself of the companion work on that CD)

Don't own any of the Adams Naxos recordings. Seeing Alsop's name, however, always makes me cringe. Overrated conductor IMHO.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 02, 2013, 07:59:39 PM
Don't own any of the Adams Naxos recordings. Seeing Alsop's name, however, always makes me cringe. Overrated conductor IMHO.

She did a pretty good job on the CD--but I would suggest either of the other two CDs before I would suggest hers.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 02, 2013, 08:12:40 PM
She did a pretty good job on the CD--but I would suggest either of the other two CDs before I would suggest hers.

I own all Adams' recordings on Nonesuch and EMI but just haven't felt any urge to own the Naxos recordings.

Brian

Her 'Shaker Loops' is perfectly grand and I'm happy with it. I saw her conduct the Doctor Atomic Symphony live and was enthralled: link and other link!

Jeffrey, I recently first-listened Harmonielehre with that SFSO recording and thought it was a truly incredible work of music.

Que

I'm curious how that Brautigam will be! :) Now we have (at lest) two ongoing period instruments cycles: Brautigam and Kristian Bezuidenhout.

Thread duty - they day before yesterday:

And yesterday:

[asin]B0048IDRG4[/asin]

I have a big backlog of Baroque operas to break into, but could't resist this for a tenner & the line up of vocalists made my mouth water.
Though I probably will regret this purchase because of the lack of a libretto.... :-[

Q

jut1972

For those above discussing Adams Harmonielehre, the BBC showed a series called The Sound and the Fury, this weeks episode (3) featured Adams and Michael Tilson Thomas discussing it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qyvd8/The_Sound_and_the_Fury_A_Century_of_Music_Easy_Listening/
(not sure you can view this outside the UK?)

madaboutmahler

Thanks Brian, Greg and John for the feedback! Looking forward to listening to these! Seeing them on sale for just £0.50 each was a very exciting moment! :D

Quote from: jut1972 on March 03, 2013, 12:55:09 AM
For those above discussing Adams Harmonielehre, the BBC showed a series called The Sound and the Fury, this weeks episode (3) featured Adams and Michael Tilson Thomas discussing it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qyvd8/The_Sound_and_the_Fury_A_Century_of_Music_Easy_Listening/
(not sure you can view this outside the UK?)

I'm watching this series too, it's really excellent! :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Seeing Alsop's name, underrated conductor IMHO.  All I see are posts of her getting slammed around here.  I have her recording of Bartok's The Wooden Prince, and absolutely love it!  :)

TheGSMoeller

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 03, 2013, 05:23:48 AM
Seeing Alsop's name, underrated conductor IMHO.  All I see are posts of her getting slammed around here.  I have her recording of Bartok's The Wooden Prince, and absolutely love it!  :)

Her Bartok recordings were rhythmically slack, Ray. I can't get onboard with a conductor who downplays one of the crucial ingredients in Bartok's music.

bhodges

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 03, 2013, 05:23:48 AM

Alsop is excellent. She did a concert version of Bernstein's Candide with the New York Philharmonic a few years back - which was terrific - and I like her Samuel Barber series very much.

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brewski on March 03, 2013, 04:38:38 PM
Alsop is excellent. She did a concert version of Bernstein's Candide with the New York Philharmonic a few years back - which was terrific - and I like her Samuel Barber series very much.

--Bruce

I agree there, Bruce!  :)

Octave

Quote from: Brewski on March 03, 2013, 04:38:38 PM
Alsop is excellent. [...]I like her Samuel Barber series very much.

+1.  I need to explore Barber more, but I got the Naxos series in box form not long ago, prompted by the prominent use of [another recording of] the violin concerto in Terence Davies' THE DEEP BLUE SEA.  I did not care so much for the film, but my new passion for Barber will last!
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Octave

Is it conscience speaking when it seems that the computer is rebuking you for your music spending?  Or is it like having the television speak to you, and therefore time to reach for heavy medication?  (Not a confession, though patients at a past job had this experience, and it seems like it would be real, scary, and actually not the least bit far-fetched; I mean, what else is advertising than an aggressive, manipulative pitch at a "secret addressee"? [apologies to Osip Mandelstaum]). 

I ran across a product listing called

CHILL WITH BOX SET

and I felt strangely convicted.  I did not, however, buy the product....

[asin]B003LLO9JS[/asin]
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Conor71

Quote from: Octave on March 03, 2013, 06:01:06 PM
Is it conscience speaking when it seems that the computer is rebuking you for your music spending?  Or is it like having the television speak to you, and therefore time to reach for heavy medication?  (Not a confession, though patients at a past job had this experience, and it seems like it would be real, scary, and actually not the least bit far-fetched; I mean, what else is advertising than an aggressive, manipulative pitch at a "secret addressee"? [apologies to Osip Mandelstaum]). 

I ran across a product listing called

CHILL WITH BOX SET

and I felt strangely convicted.  I did not, however, buy the product....

Haha, I used to own a couple of the "Chill With" series when i first started getting into classical music a few years back - I had the Beethoven, Chopin and Vivaldi ones I think. Kind of embarrassing to admit now but I really enjoyed them and it got me interested in seeking out the full works and eventually progressing to other composers and stuff  :D :-[

Brahmsian

Quote from: Conor on March 03, 2013, 06:08:51 PM

Haha, I used to own a couple of the "Chill With" series when i first started getting into classical music a few years back - I had the Beethoven, Chopin and Vivaldi ones I think. Kind of embarrassing to admit now but I really enjoyed them and it got me interested in seeking out the full works and eventually progressing to other composers and stuff  :D :-[

No need to be embarrassed, Conor.  I had a similar scenario when starting to explore classical music (well, it worked!) I wanted to explore more deeply from listening to such put together compilations.  I think that is the goal or key to these type of collections.  To satisfy a perhaps curious ear.  :)