Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Cosi bel do on November 10, 2014, 06:23:52 AM
Finally decided myself...

Now targeting the Seon and Monteux boxes. I'm sure the newer Bernstein on Sony, and the third Ansermet set, will see their prices fall in the future...

Great Bounty there, Cosi!  The Ansermet boxes are wonderful indeed. I am waiting for the "European Tradition" to arrive. I presume that Amazon Italy was a great temptation these last two weeks?  ;)
I also picked up the DG Bernstein box from Italy and it happened to arrive a couple of days ago!  Somehow I find myself in a Bernstein phase with all the frenzy around the latest Sony box. Most of us got a great deal from Amazon UK (@ ~ GBP 54 or so) a few months ago.
However, my admiration for the man keeps growing. His NYP recordings are most impressive with their vitality and freshness. Not sure how the DG journey will turn out.   I have started to watch his Young People Concert documentaries as well as reading his biography (the Humphrey Burton one).

Time to crack open the DG behemoth!

[asin] B00HRJVNVW[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Cosi bel do

Well yes of course Amazon.it is a temptation not to be missed. This DG vol. 1 won't ever be cheaper than that.
And I also realized I had almost nothing among these A-L recordings, while I have almost everything from M-Z !
I'll certainly get the third Ansermet box, but the price is currently less interesting...
I had voluntarily missed the 63 GBP on Bernstein/Sony. The Symphony Edition has been at less than 70€ and even under 60€ for a while now, and this happens with all Sony boxes, so I'll wait. I have a lot of it already anyway, plus I have a ton of things to listen to...

Moonfish

Quote from: Cosi bel do on November 10, 2014, 06:57:29 AM
I have a lot of it already anyway, plus I have a ton of things to listen to...

Literally, I hear you...    :D :D :D

Correction: the Sony Bernstein Concertos box was GBP 54 (not 63) at that point. An amazing bargain for twice or three times that price.  8)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Lisztianwagner

Jansons' Dvorak:

[asin]B000UZ4ERK[/asin]
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

André

Carl Orff: Trionfi (aka Carmina Burana, Catulli Carmina and Trionfo d'Afrodite). 2 versions: Herbert Kegel and Eugen Jochum.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on November 10, 2014, 09:05:43 AM
Carl Orff: Trionfi (aka Carmina Burana, Caulli Carmina and Trionfo d'Afrodite). 2 versions: Herbert Kegel and Eugen Jochum.

I've never met someone with such an obsession for Carmina Burana. I can't say I'm particularly fond of the work myself. How performances do you own now?

listener

Quote from: André on November 10, 2014, 09:05:43 AM
Carl Orff: Trionfi (aka Carmina Burana, Catulli Carmina and Trionfo d'Afrodite). 2 versions: Herbert Kegel and Eugen Jochum.
There's a new Carmina for you, Immerseel conducting http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/news.php?date=2014-11-10

arrived this morning from Hyperion's weekly sale TALLIS: The Great Service- the Tallis Scholas
   and LAMBERT: Romeo and Juliet, Piano concerto, Elegiac Blues, Prize Fight (ballet) and The Bird Actors Overture
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Sadko

ritter

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on November 09, 2014, 03:49:04 AM
Is it true that, despite the "complete" claim, there are two missing Ravel works?

Anyway, it has become my rule of recent years to ignore box sets of which I already own at least 10 CDs worth. And, since this one follows the "original covers" philosophy, with the corresponding shorter running times per CD, I suspect that I own considerably more than 10 of those CDs...
So it seems...the Fanfare pour 'L'Éventail de Jeanne' and Shéhérazade, ouverture de féerie have been omitted (they`re not listed in the booklet with the tracklisting, which anyway has editing errors, as Elliott Carter's A Mirror... doesn't appear in the booklet either, but definitely is in the Carter CD along with the Symphony of three orchestras  ??? )...

These two (minor) missing Ravel works are included in the "white" Boulez edition on Sony (so that's a duplicate I'm certainly not giving away  ;) ):

[asin]B000002705[/asin]

I don't know the contents of the more recent "black" edition (the set including Ravel and Roussel)

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 10, 2014, 09:07:10 AM
I've never met someone with such an obsession for Carmina Burana. I can't say I'm particularly fond of the work myself. How many performances do you own now?

Not all that many. With the 2 new ones it will be 11. Nothing to compare with many other works I collect dozens of  ???. After all, I had not listened to it in toto for about 2 decades !

When I start listening to a work, I will often compare all versions to make sure I leave no stone unturned in my assessment of the work. And if I am enthused, I will buy as much as is financially responsible to further my knowledge.

For me (not being a musician), listening to records is my only way to accumulate the knowledge I deem essential to understand a work. In 2012 I listened to over 50 versions of Bruckner 8th. Most of the time I give the work a rest for quite a while when I'm done.

If you are an American Record Guide reader, you will know that the Editor Don Vroon is a (in)famous lover of Carmina Burana. In their survey of the work he charts (litterally) the work by 'ingredients': tenor, baritone, soprano, chorus, orchestra, tempos, sound, etc and assigns each a grade (from A+ to F). Now, THAT's obsessional for you  >:D  !!

Wakefield

Quote from: Moonfish on November 10, 2014, 06:46:12 AM
I have started to watch his Young People Concert documentaries as well as reading his biography (the Humphrey Burton one).

[asin] B00HRJVNVW[/asin]

It would be great if we could read his memoir: Blue Ink:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Abuelo Igor

Quote from: ritter on November 10, 2014, 12:24:52 PMI don't know the contents of the more recent "black" edition (the set including Ravel and Roussel)

I own the "black" box set and they are definitely there. I balk at using the word "definitive", but nobody has ever made Ravel's music sound like good old Pierre does. I really like those recordings. I own the "Duo" rerelease of the Berlin remakes, but haven't gotten around to making systematic comparisons. I tend to prefer the "rough around the edges" earlier versions, but maybe it's just me.  ;D
L'enfant, c'est moi.

kishnevi

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on November 10, 2014, 01:15:36 PM
Not all that many. With the 2 new ones it will be 11. Nothing to compare with many other works I collect dozens of  ???. After all, I had not listened to it in toto for about 2 decades !

When I start listening to a work, I will often compare all versions to make sure I leave no stone unturned in my assessment of the work. And if I am enthused, I will buy as much as is financially responsible to further my knowledge.

For me (not being a musician), listening to records is my only way to accumulate the knowledge I deem essential to understand a work. In 2012 I listened to over 50 versions of Bruckner 8th. Most of the time I give the work a rest for quite a while when I'm done.

If you are an American Record Guide reader, you will know that the Editor Don Vroon is a (in)famous lover of Carmina Burana. In their survey of the work he charts (litterally) the work by 'ingredients': tenor, baritone, soprano, chorus, orchestra, tempos, sound, etc and assigns each a grade (from A+ to F). Now, THAT's obsessional for you  >:D  !!

Well, should be the one looking in the mirror. I own 45 recordings of Stravinsky's Le sacred du printemps and this isn't even the tip of the iceberg. :) Nothing wrong with collecting multiple interpretations. I've done the same thing and will probably continue to as hearing about a new recording gets me all excited for a particular work all over again.

Brian

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 10, 2014, 06:13:42 PM
Well, should be the one looking in the mirror. I own 45 recordings of Stravinsky's Le sacred du printemps and this isn't even the tip of the iceberg. :) Nothing wrong with collecting multiple interpretations. I've done the same thing and will probably continue to as hearing about a new recording gets me all excited for a particular work all over again.
I've found this to be true recently with Ozawa's The Miraculous Mandarin. I think I will ask for the score for Christmas, too. There's a nice new edition out there. I'd forgotten how much I love that piece.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

EigenUser

Quote from: king ubu on November 06, 2014, 12:11:43 AM
Yeah ... big fat booklet coming with it. When I'll be read for Messiaen in four or five years, I'll cherish it  ;)
When you get the chance, can you tell me which recording of Des Canyons aux Etoiles... comes with it? I might ask for this box for Christmas, but this is a favorite piece of mine and I'd like to know. Not that it would make much of a difference in whether I ask for it or not, but still... I couldn't find out on Amazon.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Abuelo Igor

Quote from: EigenUser on November 11, 2014, 12:31:34 AM
When you get the chance, can you tell me which recording of Des Canyons aux Etoiles... comes with it?

It's a 1973 recording with Marius Constant (who, incidentally, wrote the "Twilight Zone" theme) conducting the Ensemble Ars Nova with Yvonne Loriod at the piano. Haven't heard it yet. I think it was the first recording of the piece.
L'enfant, c'est moi.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Just bought this; one cannot have enough of Messiaen :

[asin]B0012RBTXM[/asin]

I'm saving it, though, for another Messiaen-athon.

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on November 10, 2014, 06:35:15 PM
Whoa!! How much was that? SDCB?
The Monk was €24.51 Euros after VAT deduction and before shipping.  Pires was €27.43.   Bach was €21.23.  So the shipping prorates to about €6 per set.
I would have ordered more but wanted to keep it under 100 Euros.