Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on November 11, 2014, 04:19:54 AM
It's a 1973 recording with Marius Constant (who, incidentally, wrote the "Twilight Zone" theme) conducting the Ensemble Ars Nova with Yvonne Loriod at the piano. Haven't heard it yet. I think it was the first recording of the piece.
Thanks! Maybe you mean 1983, though? The work wasn't premiered until 1974...

I love the de Leeuw, but I don't think I've heard any others. I know that there are also Salonen and Chung.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

listener

Some organ music, mainly on the ifo label
Mönch-Orgel (1997) Munster zu Radolfzell/Bodensee
RHEINBERGER, FINCK, REGER, KARG-ELERT, SCHILLING, HELSCHER...
Kurt-Ludwig Forg, organist
Cavaillé-Coll, Notre-Dame de la Croix, Paris
René VIERNE (the youngest brother)     Markus Eichenlaub, organist
Riepp and Steinmeyer organs at Ottobeuren
De GRIGNY, BACH, REGER HÖLLER, DURUFLÉ
And on audite the Riegner & Friedrich organ in Riegel
BRUHNS, SWEELINCK, BUXTEHUDE, BACH, BÖHM - sets of variations
Gerhard Gnann, organist
All with informative booklets and sale priced at jpc
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

DavidA

Really enjoying the big Karajan box of 1970s recordings of symphonies. The 77 Beethoven, Bruckner, Mendelssohn, Haydn, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, et al. All for less that £30 on Amazon! Great buy!

Moonfish

Quote from: DavidA on November 11, 2014, 01:24:32 PM
Really enjoying the big Karajan box of 1970s recordings of symphonies. The 77 Beethoven, Bruckner, Mendelssohn, Haydn, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, et al. All for less that £30 on Amazon! Great buy!

That was indeed a great deal!!    8)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

amw

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on November 11, 2014, 12:08:48 PM
A mere 20 quid at Amazon UK MP.  Particularly interested in #15 at the moment.

My favourite #15 for some reason. (or at least the only one I have any interest in listening to.) Expect slowness.

not edward

Quote from: amw on November 11, 2014, 03:42:22 PM
My favourite #15 for some reason. (or at least the only one I have any interest in listening to.) Expect slowness.
Slower than his with the Cleveland Orchestra? (Now that's an astonishing recording.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

amw

Quote from: edward on November 11, 2014, 04:09:34 PM
Slower than his with the Cleveland Orchestra? (Now that's an astonishing recording.)
About the same speed. I think the Berlin finale is 19' 41", Cleveland's is about 20'. But I think I also preferred the Berlin recording to the Cleveland one. I think the timings of local events (e.g. the last note, possibly the single greatest note Shostakovich ever wrote) just seemed more "right" and the orchestral balance suited me better. Don't remember now.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on November 11, 2014, 12:08:48 PM

Shostakovich Symphonies
Kurt Sanderling / Berlin SO

A mere 20 quid at Amazon UK MP.  Particularly interested in #15 at the moment.

Great set, Soapy. Sanderling was a natural in Shostakovich. Good buy.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

This will be my fourth recording of VL's Symphony No. 10. Astonishing that four recorded performances now exist of this work.

Que

Purchased yesterday:

[asin]B0012FBO3Y[/asin]
Q

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2014, 06:17:54 PM
Just bought:

This will be my fourth recording of VL's Symphony No. 10. Astonishing that four recorded performances now exist of this work.
More astonishing is that you have them all.....

Sergeant Rock

Arrived this morning: Bruckner 5 conducted by Dennis Russell Davies. Recommended by Monkey Greg.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

amw

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 12, 2014, 01:36:03 AM
Arrived this morning: Bruckner 5 conducted by Dennis Russell Davies. Recommended by Monkey Greg.
I'm going to listen to this, eventually. I've never heard the 5th.

Jo498

Quote from: amw on November 12, 2014, 01:41:02 AM
I'm going to listen to this, eventually. I've never heard the 5th.

You listened to 20+ versions of the 6th during the blind comparison, but never ever (before or during) to Bruckner'S 5th?  :o
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

Quote from: Jo498 on November 12, 2014, 02:00:52 AM
You listened to 20+ versions of the 6th during the blind comparison, but never ever (before or during) to Bruckner'S 5th?  :o
Technically I only listened to 4 complete versions of the 6th during the comparison >.> plus 3 more afterwards. I had never listened to the 6th before the blind comparison either.

The only other Bruckner symphonies I have heard in their entirety are nos. 3 (once), 4 (twice) and 8 (twice). I think I've heard the slow movement of no. 7 under some circumstance as well, though I only remember the one famous bit from it. Additionally I have heard, and like, his string quintet.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on November 11, 2014, 11:55:24 PM
More astonishing is that you have them all.....

Why is it astonishing that I own all four? You do know I'm a huge VL fan, right? :D

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Bought these two tonight:

Sergeant Rock

Arrived today, Christobal de Morales Missa pro Defunctis (1544), recommended by Papy and Ken.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 13, 2014, 04:05:09 AM
Arrived today, Christobal de Morales Missa pro Defunctis (1544), recommended by Papy and Ken.

Sarge

Wasn't that just like yesterday they were talking about that ???? Do you get drone delivery service or something?
It's all good...