Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Todd

Quote from: king ubu on January 20, 2017, 06:44:07 AMRubackyte obsession growing ...

That can indeed be a problem.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

André

I don't know about Rubackyte, but mezzo Anaik Morel in Spleens et détresses sounds rather unpleasant. No match for Mireille Delunsch I'm afraid. It's a really great cycle and it deserves to be heard. The quintet is an absolute masterpiece. There are some 10 versions around, most of the time coupled with another composer's work. Taken as a whole this is a great program.

Turner

I´m on a 15-days trip to Prague, Znojmo, Brno & Budapest.
I restricted my buying to

1) an old LP with Foerster´s "3rd Piano Trio" & Jan Hanus´ Piano Trio "Fresques". Had neither in my collection.
2) a CD with fine cello + piano works by Koechlin, Debussy, Janacek & Poulenc. Didn´t own Koechlin´s cello sonata. CDs aren´t particularly cheap in the Czech Republic, but this one was CZK 29, around 1 €, at Bontonland - one of the few surviving European shops with a good, new classical selection and branches in both Prague and Brno.
3) Arriaga´s string quartets played by the Stamic Quartet, CD for CZK 49. I only had these lovely quartets on LP.
4) a rare LP with chamber and piano works by Jaroslav Jezek, including stage music for a Holberg play etc. Didn´t know of its existence.
5) Chopin´s Nocturnes in Rubinstein´s great recording from the 1930s, 2 LPs. Not pictured here. Already owned them, but bought this due to cover designs by "Wagnerova-Dvorakova" (the real name is so far unknown), whose designs I collect.

king ubu

Quote from: André on January 20, 2017, 10:53:31 AM
I don't know about Rubackyte, but mezzo Anaik Morel in Spleens et détresses sounds rather unpleasant. No match for Mireille Delunsch I'm afraid. It's a really great cycle and it deserves to be heard. The quintet is an absolute masterpiece. There are some 10 versions around, most of the time coupled with another composer's work. Taken as a whole this is a great program.

I read that somewhere already, but the quintet recording with Rubackyte seems to be very good indeed, so spending 4 eurozlotys on that CD should be an okay enough investment :-)

Don't have any vocal music by Vierne so far, not too deeply into mélodies by now, but I will proceed eventually and take a mental note of Delunsch the (not a singer I have much in my collection so far, and I think I've not heard anything at all so far).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

André

I'm sure it will be very rewarding. Delunsch's Spleens is hard or expensive to get anyway. I just happened to compare the extracts on JPC.de a few weeks ago. The quintet is the major offering, worthy of du-triplication IMHO.

kishnevi

Quote from: king ubu on January 20, 2017, 02:24:16 PM
I read that somewhere already, but the quintet recording with Rubackyte seems to be very good indeed, so spending 4 eurozlotys on that CD should be an okay enough investment :-)

Don't have any vocal music by Vierne so far, not too deeply into mélodies by now, but I will proceed eventually and take a mental note of Delunsch the (not a singer I have much in my collection so far, and I think I've not heard anything at all so far).

I have one recording by Rubacktye, Mussourgsky, with of course Pictures at an Exhibition being the main offering.  I liked it.
TD

HIPster

A few recent purchases ~

[asin]B00ESNNYFS[/asin]
Hat tip Que  ;)

[asin]B00023B0B8[/asin]
Hat tip Gio  :D

[asin]B00VF7P1PQ[/asin]
Hat tip Gordo  ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

prémont

Quote from: sanantonio on January 20, 2017, 09:30:31 AM
I will be interested in your reaction to the Mary Berry mass recording. 

So shall I. My expectations are high.

Quote from: sanantonio
Those two box sets are good too.

I was a bit reluctant as to the L'Oiseau-Lyre box, because I own a considerable part of it already, unfortunately a frequent but unavoidable situation.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Que

Quote from: HIPster on January 20, 2017, 08:52:57 PM
A few recent purchases ~

[asin]B00ESNNYFS[/asin]
Hat tip Que  ;)

Excellent! Will this be your first encounter with Albert Recasens and his ensemble?  :)

Q

HIPster

Quote from: Que on January 21, 2017, 02:45:20 AM
Excellent! Will this be your first encounter with Albert Recasens and his ensemble?  :)

Q

Yes!  Thanks to your glowing recommendations of this disc, I am taking the plunge.  ;)

You rated it highly in your year-in-review posting.

It's coming from Germany; I will probably receive it in a couple of weeks.  :)
Wise words from Que:

The new erato

From mdt:

[asin]B007BJOLO4[/asin]
[asin]B01MXZ79PQ[/asin]
[asin]B00005RCCX[/asin]

Except for some few works by Harty, composers not represented in my collection (believe it or nuts!)

HIPster

Quote from: The new erato on January 21, 2017, 09:22:46 AM

[asin]B00005RCCX[/asin]

I've been eyeing that Albicastro release.

Excellent group and conductor.  ;)
Wise words from Que:

Que

Quote from: HIPster on January 21, 2017, 11:07:22 AM
I've been eyeing that Albicastro release.

Excellent group and conductor.  ;)

Me too.... :)

cilgwyn

I love this Symphony. This was the first recording I ever heard (I have others now). I like that photo. I used to prop the Lp version up in front of me,when I was a youngster,and look at it while I was listening! The Chandos Bax cycle had wonderful photos,too.

listener

a couple of new Naxos Discs that arrived at my local b&m (Sikoras)
SPOHR: Symphony no 4 "The Consecration of Sound"   Overtures to Faust and Jessonda
TISHCHENKO:  Symphony no. 8  Concerto for Violin, Piano and String Orchestra   Three Songs to Poems of Marina arr. for string orch. by Rezetdinov
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 21, 2017, 11:18:04 AM
I love this Symphony. This was the first recording I ever heard (I have others now). I like that photo. I used to prop the Lp version up in front of me,when I was a youngster,and look at it while I was listening! The Chandos Bax cycle had wonderful photos,too.

Yep, it's a fantastic symphony and Handley, IMHO, does it full justice. Much more involving than the Lloyd-Jones and Boult I've heard IMHO, although there is merit in both of the afore mentioned performances taken on their terms.

Mirror Image

Richard

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 21, 2017, 07:14:52 PM
Just bought:

:) :)

Just bought it yesterday as well! Happy listening.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Richard on January 22, 2017, 05:14:00 AM
:) :)

Just bought it yesterday as well! Happy listening.

Thanks, Richard. Finzi's music is just so gorgeous that it was difficult for me to pass up this set, especially at the price I paid for it.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I bought all of these from Dutton's website. I've been drooling over these for quite some time.

Also bought: