Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: North Star on February 05, 2017, 05:47:40 AM
Cheers, Gordo. The set certainly has been praised a lot at GMG and by critics - and I definitely like Podger's playing in general.
I like it, too ... but the boxed version is really just some carboard around a few discs ... you don't even get all the bare-bones infos (no recording dates for instance). Lousy, if you ask me, and it's not THAT cheap after all.

My favourite Mozart violin sonatas though is the old Szigeti/Horszowski (Szell on a few) - touches me like little else does.

Quote from: aligreto on February 05, 2017, 10:30:19 AM
I will be interested to read your thoughts on that one once you get a chance to listen to it.
It's excellent, get it while you can!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

North Star

Quote from: king ubu on February 06, 2017, 06:59:05 AM
I like it, too ... but the boxed version is really just some carboard around a few discs ... you don't even get all the bare-bones infos (no recording dates for instance). Lousy, if you ask me, and it's not THAT cheap after all.

My favourite Mozart violin sonatas though is the old Szigeti/Horszowski (Szell on a few) - touches me like little else does.
That is certainly not a nice thing. Then again, at the price of 2 new single issues, I'm not complaining.

I'll have to look into the Szigeti/Horszowski recordings, thanks.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

This series got a lot of attention here last year and I promised myself that I would eventually get some or all of them. I have decided to start with this one....

aligreto

Quote from: king ubu on February 06, 2017, 06:59:05 AM

A strong recommendation, thank you.

king ubu

Quote from: North Star on February 06, 2017, 07:22:32 AM
I'll have to look into the Szigeti/Horszowski recordings, thanks.

It's a four disc set on Vanguard, presenting what was then (fifties) considered a complete cycle, I think.

I'm often into older rather than newer recordings, just be aware of this please, if so far you weren't. And I'm right now on a trip of listening to as much Horszowski as I can lay my hands on ... this box has been treasured for quite a while, before I started checking out Horszowski on his own.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

North Star

Quote from: king ubu on February 06, 2017, 08:48:56 AMIt's a four disc set on Vanguard, presenting what was then (fifties) considered a complete cycle, I think.

I'm often into older rather than newer recordings, just be aware of this please, if so far you weren't. And I'm right now on a trip of listening to as much Horszowski as I can lay my hands on ... this box has been treasured for quite a while, before I started checking out Horszowski on his own.
Cheers, I already found the set on Amazon [B000EQ46JQ].
And yes, if the recordings feature Horszowksi, Szigeti and Szell, I will expect it to show some age. ;)
I have downloads of the Mozart PCs on Pearl, should revisit them.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Camphy

Mirror Image

Just paid a pretty penny for this rare, OOP set, but I only owned a few single issues from it and the ones I've heard are absolutely smashing:

Probably the last anything I buy of Walton. Looking forward to digging into this set. Also, the fact that I bought this set brand new is quite a find.

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Camphy

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

71 dB

More Ricercar Consort on Mirare label.  :)

[asin]B001LJL684[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

Leifs: Works for Voices and Orchestra....

HIPster

Just arrived:

[asin]B002P9KAPO[/asin]

[asin]B00GZALX8W[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 06, 2017, 01:07:03 PM
Just paid a pretty penny for this rare, OOP set, but I only owned a few single issues from it and the ones I've heard are absolutely smashing:

Probably the last anything I buy of Walton. Looking forward to digging into this set. Also, the fact that I bought this set brand new is quite a find.

Well, this order got canceled on me by the seller due to a pricing on error on their part. ::) I sent the seller an email saying that I'm still interested in this set early this morning and still haven't heard anything from them. I haven't left them feedback (yet).

Brian

BRIAN'S 2017 PURCHASES!

Honestly, this year my wishlist was pretty short, so this year's binge is modest by the standards of most people 'round here. Things started off with a bang when a GMGer sold me Muza Rubackyte's Liszt at a handy discount...now I'm finishing off the rest of my 2017 purchases:

Pittsburgh/Honeck

Piano

The Prazak Quartet playing Janacek, Schumann (with Evgeny Koriolov), Dvorak (with Ivan Klansky), and Brahms Sextets (with half the Zemlinsky Quartet):

Misc.

Mirror Image

Previn's RVW cycle is one of my favorites. That's a nice set as it's been remastered and it sounds much better than the previous issues.

listener

Malcolm ARNOLD   Symphony no.7  (have  the Naxos already)
and new things I didn't  have: Philharmonic Concerto op.120 and Fantasy on a theme of John Field op.116
locally at Sikoras
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

A JPC order:

I was struck dumb by their interpretation of # 1 - quite as powerful as Furtwängler's epochal '51 Vienna recording.

Günther Herbig, like Rögner or Bongartz is highly regarded in Germany, but he never landed a recording contract with one of the majors.

Excerpts reveal a very detailed and committed orchestral sound in very good sonics. I already have Böhm's Berlin, Dresden and Vienna recordings of the 9th. This one seems particularly alive (if I believe the short extracts available).

This seems to be quite fine. At the price, a no-brainer.

Schubert from one of my favourite pianists (I have a couple of Schubert sonata discs from him). My chance to hear the Grazer-Fantasie for the first time !

Mirror Image

Since my William Walton Complete Works box set was canceled (insert loud sigh here), I decided to pick this one up:

The price wasn't the greatest (around $17 + shipping), but it's OOP. My buddy Jeffrey (Vandermolen) tells me this is a smoking performance. I already own Thomson's recording of the Walton's 2nd. Can't wait to hear this one.