Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Updated my Carl Vine collection by three today:

kishnevi

ritter

Bought this curiosity today in La boite à musique in Brussels:

In 1952, the Paris Opéra presented for the first time in 200 years the complete (but heavily cut) Les Indes galantes. The lavish prodcution was a hit, and was performed over 250 times well into the 1960s. This recording, a radio broadcast from 1954, is almost a "who's who" of French singing of those days (Rita Gorr, Jacqueline Brumaire, Jean Giraudeau, Janine Micheau, Géori Boué, Henri Legay, Roger Bourdin). Nothing even remotely HIP here, of course; the orchestration had been "retouched" by Paul Dukas--one entrée, many years earlier--and Henri Büsser. The conductor is Louis Fourestier.

These Indes galantes inspired two of Nicolas de Staël's (who had seen the staging at the Opéra in 1953) most acclaimed painitings (both in private collections AFAIK):

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2017, 12:18:31 PM

Play String Quartet No.3. Do not pass go!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: ørfeo on March 10, 2017, 02:41:29 PM
Play String Quartet No.3. Do not pass go!

Will do whenever I receive it, orfeo! 8)

Madiel

Actually, I just remembered, you'll have it twice. It's on the Chamber Music Volume 2 disc (which I don't have).

I had in mind the Goldner Quartet version. Which is "authoritative". Vine didn't name names, but he's revealed that he actually hated the first performances of the work. Which rather suggests he did not like that recording, either.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2011/november/1320386866/anna-goldsworthy/right-composition

So your thoughts on the two performances will be interesting.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: ørfeo on March 10, 2017, 03:10:17 PM
Actually, I just remembered, you'll have it twice. It's on the Chamber Music Volume 2 disc (which I don't have).

I had in mind the Goldner Quartet version. Which is "authoritative". Vine didn't name names, but he's revealed that he actually hated the first performances of the work. Which rather suggests he did not like that recording, either.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2011/november/1320386866/anna-goldsworthy/right-composition

So your thoughts on the two performances will be interesting.

Very interesting indeed. I noticed SQ No. 2 was on one of those chamber music recordings I bought, but I didn't bother looking at who it was performed by.

HIPster

Quote from: aligreto on March 10, 2017, 09:00:02 AM
This one has been on my List for some time but now I own it....

Excellent!  8)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2017, 12:18:31 PM

Wow Wikipedia calls him:

Carl Vine, AO (born 8 October 1954), is an Australian composer of contemporary classical music

which seems to be an oxymoron in itself.

André

Quote from: arpeggio on March 10, 2017, 10:04:09 AM

Link to good review: http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-9434/?search=1

A disc I am very fond of. As Karl mentions, Fröst is splendid.

Actually, the only example of Hillborg's music in my collection. There are a couple of BIS discs out there, but I haven't got around to listen to them.

Madiel

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on March 10, 2017, 05:52:55 PM
Wow Wikipedia calls him:

Carl Vine, AO (born 8 October 1954), is an Australian composer of contemporary classical music

Not to the vast majority of people outside this board, and to some of us on it. Please note, you are currently in a sub-forum called "General Classical Music Discussion", on the "GMG Classical Music Forum". If you would like to create separate boards for General Romantic Music Discussion, General Baroque Music Discussion etc., I suggest you raise with the moderators.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on March 10, 2017, 05:52:55 PM
Wow Wikipedia calls him:

Quote from: ørfeo on March 10, 2017, 08:29:19 PM
Not to the vast majority of people outside this board, and to some of us on it. Please note, you are currently in a sub-forum called "General Classical Music Discussion", on the "GMG Classical Music Forum". If you would like to create separate boards for General Romantic Music Discussion, General Baroque Music Discussion etc., I suggest you raise with the moderators.

I'm not sure that's what Wagnerite meant. Is not EVERY composer necessarily a composer of contemporary classical music? Surly that's not necessary to add only because the composer is alive... in fact it is highly superficial because him being alive means by definition that his music is contemporary. It's a transitory tag, useless unless it describes the fact that the composer is alive. But this being an encyclopedic entry on a living composer... etc.

Madiel

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 11, 2017, 05:50:00 AM
I'm not sure that's what Wagnerite meant. Is not EVERY composer necessarily a composer of contemporary classical music? Surly that's not necessary to add only because the composer is alive... in fact it is highly superficial because him being alive means by definition that his music is contemporary. It's a transitory tag, useless unless it describes the fact that the composer is alive. But this being an encyclopedic entry on a living composer... etc.

I agree, it's not necessary to add because like you I think it just means that someone wanted to pointed out he is alive and writing classical music now. Not like Beethoven and those other dead guys.

But Wagnerite described it not as unnecessary but as an oxymoron. A contradiction.  You and I think the "contemporary" qualifier is unnecessary. Wagnerite apparently thinks the qualifier is impossible, that classical music cannot be contemporary.

To which the answer is that "classical" stopped meaning "classic" quite a long time ago.

Mirror Image

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: ørfeo on March 11, 2017, 06:31:29 AM
I agree, it's not necessary to add because like you I think it just means that someone wanted to pointed out he is alive and writing classical music now. Not like Beethoven and those other dead guys.

But Wagnerite described it not as unnecessary but as an oxymoron. A contradiction.  You and I think the "contemporary" qualifier is unnecessary. Wagnerite apparently thinks the qualifier is impossible, that classical music cannot be contemporary.

To which the answer is that "classical" stopped meaning "classic" quite a long time ago.

Not an oxymoron I suppose if classical music does not necessary mean Classical music which is the accepted definition nowadays anyway. Oh well. Something about the way WIKI wrote it that rubbed me the wrong way.

Unnecessary is a better description, like you said.

Karl Henning

Landed this weekend:

[asin]B003LR4QQI[/asin]

[asin]B002YOJC4K[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kishnevi

What's better than one set of Beethoven cycles? Two of course.
[asin]B00QR3D7BS[/asin]
[asin]B0043UOQ26[/asin]
The first has been on my wish list for some time.
The Brendel was the result of curiosity provoked by the RYAConsidering thread. This set is the middle (1970s) set. I have the third set and bits of his first thread.

Mirror Image

Picked up this rarity:

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 12, 2017, 01:40:13 PM
What's better than one set of Beethoven cycles? Two of course.
[asin]B00QR3D7BS[/asin]
[asin]B0043UOQ26[/asin]
The first has been on my wish list for some time.
The Brendel was the result of curiosity provoked by the RYAConsidering thread. This set is the middle (1970s) set. I have the third set and bits of his first thread.

It will be interesting to see what someone else thinks of these.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spineur

Quote from: Todd on March 12, 2017, 07:42:45 PM

It will be interesting to see what someone else thinks of these.
I like the Brendel cycle except for the late sonatas.  He is spontaneous and this a real quality for a number of Beethoven sonatas.