Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: Conor71 on May 21, 2017, 06:39:24 PM
Thanks again - :D good to know those beautiful photos are used in the box set too.
I didnt know about the Archiv Discs being part of the big-box so a bit of duplication for sure (but I could probably live with it if I get the full set) :).

I gave the four respective Archiv discs to a friend ... bought singles, as the red box had just run out (and I do have some more of its content elsewhere already, so it would have created lots of duplication). There are of course more Archiv cantatas discs that are not part of the SDG box, as they were recorded earlier and not part of the cantata pilgrimage that is documented by the box.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

71 dB

Recommended by nodogen:

[asin]B0115RV08W[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

nodogen

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2017, 04:13:57 AM
Recommended by nodogen:

[asin]B0115RV08W[/asin]

Gulp, I didn't know I was so influential. I hope you find it enjoyable. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

It is certainly a desert island disc(s) of mine.

71 dB

Quote from: nodogen on May 22, 2017, 04:24:39 AM
Gulp, I didn't know I was so influential. I hope you find it enjoyable. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

It is certainly a desert island disc(s) of mine.

It was the right influence on the right moment.  ;) It's about time for me to continue my Scriabin exploration after a 2 decade long hiatus. The disc you recommended is a new recording (sound quality should be good/great) and pretty cheap so why not?

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm interested to discover Scriabin's piano music after all these years!  8)

aligreto

Dvorak: Vionin Concerto [Mutter]....

I finally got my act together to acquire this one  ::)

Pat B

Recent arrivals:
[asin]B0009AM5GS[/asin]
[asin]B000002SRH[/asin]
[asin]B00005RIN5[/asin]
[asin]B008Y1OKQM[/asin]

The Taneyev disc had been on my list for a long time (from numerous GMG recommendations).
I spotified Norrington's Má Vlast. Probably not the best performance of the work, but it was cheap and is the only one on period instruments AFAIK.
Vivaldi: I mostly wanted the Bassoon disc and certainly did not need an additional 5 CDs of Vivaldi concertos. But Naïve's boxes are enticingly priced, and the market for the single discs has not adapted to that.

Que

Quote from: Pat B on May 22, 2017, 11:00:41 AM

[asin]B008Y1OKQM[/asin]

Vivaldi: I mostly wanted the Bassoon disc and certainly did not need an additional 5 CDs of Vivaldi concertos. But Naïve's boxes are enticingly priced, and the market for the single discs has not adapted to that.

OFF COURSE you need them!  :D

If you don't have them already, you are in for a pleasant surprise....

Q

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Pat B on May 22, 2017, 11:00:41 AM

[asin]B000002SRH[/asin]

I spotified Norrington's Má Vlast. Probably not the best performance of the work, but it was cheap and is the only one on period instruments AFAIK.
Period instruments yes but the wrong period I am afraid. Music was composed sometime between 1874 and 1879 but the Classical Era in music ended around 1820 thus making the "period" about 50+ years off.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2017, 04:13:57 AM
Recommended by nodogen:

[asin]B0115RV08W[/asin]

I agree with nodogen. Yeritsyan is stellar.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Pat B

Quote from: Que on May 22, 2017, 11:05:13 AM
OFF COURSE you need them!  :D

If you don't have them already, you are in for a pleasant surprise....

Q

;D Thanks. I didn't have any of these discs, but I do have some others on Opus 111/Naïve.

Pat B

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 22, 2017, 11:30:23 AM
Period instruments yes but the wrong period I am afraid. Music was composed sometime between 1874 and 1879 but the Classical Era in music ended around 1820 thus making the "period" about 50+ years off.

You assume a lot more from the name of the group than I do.

71 dB

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 22, 2017, 03:19:02 PM
I agree with nodogen. Yeritsyan is stellar.

I had not heard of her. Completely new name/talent for me. 

Parsifal

Pre-ordered this item

[asin]B06XST7GHS[/asin]

A mix of standard and odd-ball repertoire, many old mono recordings with regional French orchestra. I can't pass it up, because I find myself very interested in varying performance traditions in the old days when every country and orchestra had its own unique style.

kishnevi

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 22, 2017, 11:30:23 AM

Like Gardiner's ORR and Herreweghe's Orchestre d'Champs Elysee do, they presumably use appropriate period instruments when recording later era music. (And Immerseel's Anima Eternae.)

Norrington produced some interesting results with Bruckner and a modern orchestra.

Ken B

Quote from: Scarpia on May 22, 2017, 03:54:04 PM
Pre-ordered this item

[asin]B06XST7GHS[/asin]

A mix of standard and odd-ball repertoire, many old mono recordings with regional French orchestra. I can't pass it up, because I find myself very interested in varying performance traditions in the old days when every country and orchestra had its own unique style.
A splendid conductor.

Ken B

Quote from: Pat B on May 22, 2017, 03:39:35 PM
You assume a lot more from the name of the group than I do.

I for one am shocked a London group would try Czech music!

;)

Karl Henning

Cultural appropriation!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 22, 2017, 05:32:57 PM
Like Gardiner's ORR and Herreweghe's Orchestre d'Champs Elysee do, they presumably use appropriate period instruments when recording later era music. (And Immerseel's Anima Eternae.)

Norrington produced some interesting results with Bruckner and a modern orchestra.
I am not being negative here but I wish there is more details on what exactly "period" instrument in Smetana constitute? And how is "period" instrument in Smetana different than Brahms, or Bruckner from around the same period. There is no details that I can find describing that.

The performance of Ma Vlast is actually very very good I must admit. There is very nice and colorful wind playing and Norrington allows the music to really breathe and take a life of its own. I think it is one of his better efforts. I just wish they market it for the sake of the performance and not something gimmicky like authentic instruments.

Quote from: Ken B on May 22, 2017, 06:00:57 PM
I for one am shocked a London group would try Czech music!

;)

You and others:

In 1996, the LCP was invited to open the Prague Spring Festival in the traditional opening festival concert of Bedrich Smetana's Ma Vlast, a controversial decision at the time.

Parsifal

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 23, 2017, 07:55:16 AM
I am not being negative here but I wish there is more details on what exactly "period" instrument in Smetana constitute? And how is "period" instrument in Smetana different than Brahms, or Bruckner from around the same period. There is no details that I can find describing that.

I believe gut strings were still used in Smetana's time, and violins lacked some reinforcement of the body that allowed higher tension steel strings. (Even 16th century violins are not 'period instruments' if they have been modified.) I believe brass instruments were valved, but had narrower bores, giving them a sound which resulted in less projection but a richer spectrum of overtones.

ritter

Found at attrcative prices on amazon.es:

[asin]B01N8W0ZKC[/asin]
The allegedly complete piano duet music of Florent Schmitt. I say "allegedly", because the two piano reduction of La Tragégie de Salomé is not included (but I already have that--magnificent--piece on a Dutton CD).

[asin]B0016KHAVA[/asin]
More Ernesto Hallfter, mainly for his solo piano reduction of Manuel de Falla's Seven Popular Spanish Songs (despite the blatant typo on the cover--"Sietes", which would be like "Sevens::) )

[asin]B00000IO6F[/asin]
Agaian, mainly for E. Halffter (his late Tiento).