Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgravefenbirder and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on September 17, 2017, 05:56:32 PM
That certainly looks like a cool disc, Greg! And so does Tetzlaff Quartet playing Schubert D887 - one of the greatest groups today playing one of the greatest string quartets ever..

The Haydn/Yun disc is a good one, in fact I just put it on for spin! And I don't think I've heard Tetzlaff Quartet before this Schubert/Haydn disc I just purchased, and from what samples I heard they sound fantastic.

And thank you, Karlo, for diverting the attention I was getting for ordering my Rattle/Mahler symphony  ;D  I was starting to sweat a bit  :-[  :)

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 17, 2017, 06:08:52 PM
The Haydn/Yun disc is a good one, in fact I just put it on for spin! And I don't think I've heard Tetzlaff Quartet before this Schubert/Haydn disc I just purchased, and from what samples I heard they sound fantastic.

And thank you, Karlo, for diverting the attention I was getting for ordering my Rattle/Mahler symphony  ;D  I was starting to sweat a bit  :-[  :)
I don't actually own anything from the Tetzlaff Q but I've heard their Bartók and some other recordings by them - as good SQ playing as I've ever heard.

Ha! Well I hope the M9 is better than his M3 with CBSO.  ::) The Berlin M5 and CBSO M7 are quite fine, I think.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

kishnevi

Quote from: North Star on September 17, 2017, 06:17:42 PM
I don't actually own anything from the Tetzlaff Q but I've heard their Bartók and some other recordings by them - as good SQ playing as I've ever heard.

Ha! Well I hope the M9 is better than his M3 with CBSO.  ::) The Berlin M5 and CBSO M7 are quite fine, I think.
Definitely better than the M3, and not a bad Ninth overall. But there are a lot of others out there who are at least as good. I got Rattle's M9 at the same time as Barenboim's with the Staatskapelle Berlin, and came to feel Barenboim did better. But then, I don't like Barenboim's M5 with the CSO, but did like Rattle.  Mix and match, I guess.

Harry

Quote from: André on September 17, 2017, 01:37:39 PM
I love Isang Yun's music. His symphonies are quite special. CPO has some chamber msic as wel.

I bought these CD'S aeons ago, when Yun was not on anyone's radar. Despite me promoting them furiously GMG did not react, well until now.
I would say listen to your elders, they have been there before :laugh: :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Maestro267

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 17, 2017, 06:24:10 AM
Lutoslawski: Symphonic Variations; Little Suite; Symphony No. 2; Piano Concerto
National Polish RSO/Wit

Scriabin: Symphony No. 3; Poem of Ecstasy
Moscow SO/Golovschin

These two discs arrived this morning.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 17, 2017, 05:47:09 PM
True. I like his 10th, but not really anything else.  And his Third is the most lumbering boring Third I have ever laid ears on.

Talk about yer dubious distinctions! :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

This is all Johan's fault:

Maestro267

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 17, 2017, 06:24:10 AM
Villa-Lobos: Symphonies Nos. 8, 9 & 11
Sao Paolo SO/Karabtchevsky

This one showed up this morning. Wasn't expecting it until Wednesday at the earliest, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

aligreto

ritter

Quote from: aligreto on September 19, 2017, 08:16:49 AM
Astrid Varnay....

Nice. I've owned that CD for almost 30 years, and find it most enjoyable  (particularly the Tristan excerpts). Hope you like it too...

aligreto

Quote from: ritter on September 19, 2017, 11:54:58 AM
Nice. I've owned that CD for almost 30 years, and find it most enjoyable  (particularly the Tristan excerpts). Hope you like it too...

Thank you. I do not know of Astrid Varnay but I am looking forward to hearing her and the music on this CD. I bought it primarily for the Wesendonck-Lieder.

Que

Just ordered:

[asin]B00EHZUOCI[/asin]
Q

North Star

Quote from: Que on September 19, 2017, 01:44:17 PM
Just ordered:

Q
That does look tasty.. I tend to prefer OVPP, but the Herreweghe is another tempting version of these works.

Thread duty

[asin]B00008UEF7[/asin]
[asin]B000PFU8KM[/asin]
[asin]B0011FEGW6[/asin]
[asin]B00V3PEYW6[/asin]
[asin]B018UZN9AO[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on September 19, 2017, 03:14:26 PMThread duty

[asin]B00008UEF7[/asin]
[asin]B000PFU8KM[/asin]
[asin]B0011FEGW6[/asin]
[asin]B00V3PEYW6[/asin]
[asin]B018UZN9AO[/asin]

Awesome...just awesome. 8)

springrite

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 17, 2017, 10:47:19 PM
I bought these CD'S aeons ago, when Yun was not on anyone's radar. Despite me promoting them furiously GMG did not react, well until now.
I would say listen to your elders, they have been there before :laugh: :laugh:

Harry, you were just a spring chicken when you started yielding years ago.

Now that you are finally a borderline elder, they are ready to listen.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Que

Quote from: North Star on September 19, 2017, 03:14:26 PM
That does look tasty.. I tend to prefer OVPP, but the Herreweghe is another tempting version of these works.

I agree on both points.... :) The Herreweghe is marvellous but I too generally prefer smaller forces.
Being a big fan of the Dufay Ensemble, I hope they might deliver a great complementary recording next to Herreweghe's.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1035760

Q

Harry

Quote from: springrite on September 19, 2017, 08:26:41 PM
Harry, you were just a spring chicken when you started yielding years ago.

Now that you are finally a borderline elder, they are ready to listen.

Ahhhh, a fellow elder :laugh: :laugh: ;)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

North Star

Quote from: Que on September 19, 2017, 10:01:23 PM
I agree on both points.... :) The Herreweghe is marvellous but I too generally prefer smaller forces.
Being a big fan of the Dufay Ensemble, I hope they might deliver a great complementary recording next to Herreweghe's.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1035760

Q
Cheers, so it seems to be as good as H8 and Herreweghe according to the review. I guess I'll reel it in, too..

[asin]B00EHZUOCI[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: Harry's corner on September 19, 2017, 10:01:37 PM
Ahhhh, a fellow elder :laugh: :laugh: ;)

Come on, guys... anybody born before the Berlin Wall fell is an elder these days... (assuming that youngsters even know what the Berlin Wall was and why it was built..) --- so I'm an elder, too, and proudly so!  (b. 1972)  8)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini