Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Traverso

For the love of the harpsichord.

André

String concertos 1 and 2, plus the orchestrated Barefoot Songs

Leon Spierer was the longtime (1963-93) concertmaster of the Berlin Philharmonic, an artist of the first rank.

Sandström's reputation rests more on his mammoth choral compositions, so this will be a very different facet to discover.

Yet another version of my two favourite Schubert symphonies. Lean, zippy accounts if I rely on the sound clips.

Extremely positive comments read on Amazon. Love Juliane Banse.

The g minor piano quartet and a small Brahms recital by Perahia.

After the Brandenburg concertos interspersed with orchestrations of Shostakovich P&F, now we have Haydn's Seven Last Words (piano version) interspersed with Schoenberg and Bartok piano pieces.

:D Cheaper at JPC than Amazon.

I never tire of these Schoenberg, Berg and Webern transcriptions.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on April 18, 2018, 02:16:55 PM

:D Cheaper at JPC than Amazon.

Well, maybe only a few dollars. I paid $46 (incl. shipping) for my set through an Amazon MP seller.

Mirror Image

Bought tonight:

I saw Jill Gomez's name on this Cleobury recording of El amor brujo and had to buy it immediately. Also, what's nice is this is the original 1915 version, which I have a recording of already (with Josep Pons on Harmonia Mundi) but I was never crazy about the vocalist that was used.

Alek Hidell

Coupla RVW cycles:

(Found a "very good" copy of the Musical Heritage version of the Thomson cycle on eBay for just $25, which includes shipping. Much better than what everyone is wanting for the Chandos edition.)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Que

Quote from: Traverso on April 18, 2018, 12:43:22 PM
For the love of the harpsichord.

Of course I will be curious what you'll think of those.....  :)

Q

Traverso

Quote from: Que on April 18, 2018, 09:20:04 PM
Of course I will be curious what you'll think of those.....  :)

Q

II have to wait  10-14 days  :)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on April 18, 2018, 02:16:55 PM

I never tire of these Schoenberg, Berg and Webern transcriptions.

Why would anyone?  :D

And a wonderful pick! - my brief review from backwhen: Dip Your Ears, No. 42 (Waltzing Schoenberg)

André

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on April 18, 2018, 10:01:58 PM
Why would anyone?  :D

And a wonderful pick! - my brief review from backwhen: Dip Your Ears, No. 42 (Waltzing Schoenberg)

Nice review, Jens ! You are right to point to the leanness and the lilt these transcriptions boast. I have/had a few versions of these, my favourite being the LP by Ensemble 13 Baden-Baden conducted by Manfred Reichert (Harmonia Mundi), a modern music outfit of great character and imagination. Alas, it's never been transeferred to cd. The sound clips of this Sony disc (very cheap at JPC) sound delicious.

Spineur

Continuing my exploration of Marc-Antoine Charpentier music, I found this rare OOP cd

After reading a very favorable review, got this cd released last year.  I dont know any of these piano quartets

Notos quartett, Bartok, Dohnanyi, Kodaly piano quartets

[asin]B01N6F77YT[/asin]

kishnevi

Ordered over the last day or so
N. Ogawa's two CD of Satie on an Erard (BIS) hat tip to MI
A. Planes set of Debussy piano works (Harmonia Mundi)
Two Sony budgey box sets
Gunter Wand conducting Schubert's
Rudolf Serkin performing Mozart PCs.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 19, 2018, 07:38:33 PM
Ordered over the last day or so
N. Ogawa's two CD of Satie on an Erard (BIS) hat tip to MI
A. Planes set of Debussy piano works (Harmonia Mundi)

Yay to the Ogawa Satie recordings and nay to the Planès Debussy set on Harmonia Mundi. If his Debussy was the only set I owned, I wouldn't have bothered exploring this composer's oeuvre. That's how much I dislike his set. Hopefully, your experience is much better. If you'd like for me to explain what I don't like Planès' approach to Debussy, I'd be more than happy to tell you. :)

Baron Scarpia

I've decided to put the brakes on my CD purchasing for the time being, but conveniently decided this will go into effect after one last purchase.

[asin]B077ZH999P[/asin]

I have found a lot of value in complete artist boxes, particularly for Piano soloists, and this is the big one that I have been waiting for.

It will take it's place of honor beside the complete Arrau/EMI, the complete Arrau/Columbia, the complete Pollini/DG, the complete Brendel/Philips, the complete Brendel/Vox/Vanguard, the complete Ciccolini/EMI, the complete Francois/CMI, the complete Argerich/DG, the complete Argerich/EMI the complete Cortot/EMI, the complete Ogdon/EMI, the complete Ogdon/RCA, the complete Rubinstein/RCA, the complete Perhia/Sony. There might even be others. My lord, I am insane!  ???

BTW, this thing goes for about $215 on Amazon, but I found it for $170 from importcds.com (their own web site, not their amazon marketplace store).

André

I have zero disc of Taneyev... :(

This disc contains Saint-Saëns' « other » organ and orchestra works. I've never heard it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 20, 2018, 01:12:12 PM
I've decided to put the brakes on my CD purchasing for the time being, but conveniently decided this will go into effect after one last purchase.

[asin]B077ZH999P[/asin]

I have found a lot of value in complete artist boxes, particularly for Piano soloists, and this is the big one that I have been waiting for.

It will take it's place of honor beside the complete Arrau/EMI, the complete Arrau/Columbia, the complete Pollini/DG, the complete Brendel/Philips, the complete Brendel/Vox/Vanguard, the complete Ciccolini/EMI, the complete Francois/CMI, the complete Argerich/DG, the complete Argerich/EMI the complete Cortot/EMI, the complete Ogdon/EMI, the complete Ogdon/RCA, the complete Rubinstein/RCA, the complete Perhia/Sony. There might even be others. My lord, I am insane!  ???

BTW, this thing goes for about $215 on Amazon, but I found it for $170 from importcds.com (their own web site, not their amazon marketplace store).

Excellent. I've heard great things about Arrau's Debussy. Please let me know what you think of those performances as I'm thinking of purchasing his 3-CD set of what he recorded of this composer.

kishnevi

Ordered tonight from Arkivmusic.
Vaughn Williams Symphonies 5/6 Manze & Co
Haydn London Symphonies Fey & Co
Vivaldi Four Seasons, etc. Podger/Brecon Baroque
Part Symphonies Kajuste & Co
Debussy  La Mer/Images Krivine & Co.

(not posting images since I don't know if this will post. Still plenty of problems with Server Not Found.)

All off the new releases page at Arkiv...

arpeggio

[asin]B0000267VJ[/asin]

For me a new composer.

I found the following excellant reviews:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2003/Oct03/Harald_SAEVERUD2.htm

(This is interesting review by a bassooninst from the journal of the International Double Reed Sociaty)https://www.idrs.org/publications/controlled/DR/DR21.3/NewBassoonCDReview.pdf

Mirror Image

Florestan

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 20, 2018, 01:12:12 PM

You'd be insane if you missed the complete Cziffra/EMI and the complete Kempff/EMI-Decca, not to mention Clara Haskil/Decca and Lipatti/EMI. Oh, and did I mention Istomin/Sony?  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy