Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 04, 2018, 10:27:49 PM
The new Erato, I'm expecting to see that third Mercury Box here soon!   :laugh:
You evil man. I think I would nominate you for the Supreme Court!

The new erato

Still awaiting delivery:

[asin]B00005YKA1[/asin]
[asin]B07F39CVGJ[/asin]

The Delos discs have some delivery time, as was the case with my previous order of Shostakovich songs. I am only sorry I let vol 3 slip through the mdt sales period (I have vol 2 from a long time ago).

The new erato

After a long period of ordering inactivity this autumn has seen me rearrangining my CD library (so that I actually know what I already have) and listening to some new stuff - though the time of buying insanely big boxes that become a burden instead of a delight, and mostly cover repertoire and discs I already have in droves, is over. This is also on order from mdt:

[asin]B0788XQ5PG[/asin]
[asin]B07FSGRJ2Y[/asin]
[asin]B07DL8Y1KJ[/asin]
Insanely good review on Music Web for the Zhukov.

The new erato

For some strange reason mdt doesn't list recent Sony releases, so I had to go to presto for these:

[asin]B07D55HVP9[/asin]
[asin]B07D2XPGYV[/asin]
[asin]B012YL884W[/asin]

Not yet delivered, now I am good for some time.

Draško

Quote from: Que on October 04, 2018, 01:40:57 PM
[asin]B00000C2ER[/asin]
Q

That's a great piece. The magnificently grand 15 minute Passacaglia that is the finale is one of Lully's very finest, with the Passacaglia from Armide and Chaconne from Roland (all three from 1685-86), and kind of fitting ending to a career of a man who arguably invented the French baroque.

When I'm in the mood for pure essence of the full pomp and circumstance of the Louis XIV court I play one of those three.

Is that recording available again? It was long out of print, which it never should have been. And also we are long over due for a new recording, this one is 20+ years old, good as it is.

The new erato

Quote from: Draško on October 05, 2018, 03:32:57 AM
That's a great piece. The magnificently grand 15 minute Passacaglia that is the finale is one of Lully's very finest, with the Passacaglia from Armide and Chaconne from Roland (all three from 1685-86), and kind of fitting ending to a career of a man who arguably invented the French baroque.

When I'm in the mood for pure essence of the full pomp and circumstance of the Louis XIV court I play one of those three.

Is that recording available again? It was long out of print, which it never should have been. And also we are long over due for a new recording, this one is 20+ years old, good as it is.
I have 17 Lully opera recordings on last count (including both the Armide and Roland recordings you mention), many of them great, but this is flat out my favorite!

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on October 04, 2018, 10:25:37 PM
[asin]B0007IO6DC[/asin]

Listening now, authentic and intense.

Top-shelf Shostakovich.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

That's cantatas 111-114, the cd edition.

Yet another bicentenary year offering.

Traverso

Two early music recordings  ;)

Que

Quote from: Que on October 04, 2018, 01:40:57 PM
Purchased this afternoon:

[asin]B00000C2ER[/asin]
Q

Quote from: Draško on October 05, 2018, 03:32:57 AM

Quote from: The new erato on October 05, 2018, 05:12:36 AM
I have 17 Lully opera recordings on last count (including both the Armide and Roland recordings you mention), many of them great, but this is flat out my favorite!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Looking forward to it!  :)

I bought it used for €10  at the market, but with a new case it looks pristine....  8)
It was the stellar line up that clinched the deal, and I love Lully's opera's...

Q

André

Back from the used cd store:

A Tahra issue.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on October 05, 2018, 12:23:36 PM
Back from the used cd store:

Oh, Five thumbs up! This is such a GREAT recording in its combination of repertoire and performances.

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2004/10/dip-your-ears-no-14.html - My No.1 Re-Issue in 2004. http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2004/12/best-recordings-in-2004.html Oy veh. Time flies.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Now I'm really in a snit.

Purchased a few tracks for download from this, Kodaly Concerto for Orchestra, from Presto Classical

[asin]B0033QC0X8[/asin]

After clicking "buy" I noticed that I had somehow neglected to double-check the format, and discovered that I had mistakenly purchased MP3, rather than FLAC! Sent an email requesting that they correct my oversight, but of course being in the UK they were already sleeping and I'll presumably have to wait until Monday to hear anything.  Grrrr!

And am I the first person to notice that the cover shown proclaims "5cd" even though there are only 4 discs in the set?

Brian

Some GMGers probably know of my once-a-year shopping binges, and how I spend all of the rest of the year building up the next shopping list...

2019 is different for two reasons.
1. It's not 2019 yet. (Lots of stuff is on sale.)
2. I've cut my budget in half. I moved in with a lady, there is a very clear cap on the available space in our house, and also, honestly, my shopping list is just shorter. With all the big box binges and megasales of past years, and with how many labels are available on streaming services, there is not much more I want to own on CD. So this year the budget has gone from $750 to $350. (This is $275, I'm saving some extra cash for the Walton symphonies album with Karabits/Bournemouth on Onyx, used CDs, and any more budget box set deals that pop up.)

After the orders in this post, probably 50% of my wishlist is out of print discs I am hoping to track down used copies of.

So here it is, my 2019 orders from MDT and Presto.

some boxes:

A lot of MDG, which seems to very rarely be on sale:

The Scarlatti, Granados, and Albeniz are transcriptions for guitar written and played by Stephen Marchionda. The Grieg and Chopin are HIP on fortepianos.

Assorted odds and ends - Philharmonia Baroque's Haydn 88/101/104, Cafe Zimmermann's Avison/Scarlatti, and Vadim Gluzman's Prokofiev violin sonatas:

And, finally, three Naxos Scarlatti CDs I want to play in the car on the way to work.

Kontrapunctus

Formidable playing. His tone is a bit metallic in the loud passages, but I suppose that adds to the intensity.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

JBS

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 05, 2018, 01:15:06 PM
Oh, Five thumbs up! This is such a GREAT recording in its combination of repertoire and performances.

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2004/10/dip-your-ears-no-14.html - My No.1 Re-Issue in 2004. http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2004/12/best-recordings-in-2004.html Oy veh. Time flies.

Amen to that.
Only problem is that, to keep everything on 2 CDs, they split one quartet between the CDs.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

Quote from: JBS on October 05, 2018, 04:36:36 PM
Amen to that.
Only problem is that, to keep everything on 2 CDs, they split one quartet between the CDs.

Considering you guys' encomiums, this is something I can happily live with  ;).

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 05, 2018, 04:24:17 PM
That one's fantastic!
About as good as Haydn goes. Amazing how NH make the RCO sound like his own CMWien. Just a great example of mind over matter. I would say if you want just one set of London Symphonies get this.

If you want 2 add Norrington.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Brian on October 05, 2018, 04:18:33 PM
Some GMGers probably know of my once-a-year shopping binges, and how I spend all of the rest of the year building up the next shopping list...

2019 is different for two reasons.
1. It's not 2019 yet. (Lots of stuff is on sale.)
2. I've cut my budget in half. I moved in with a lady, there is a very clear cap on the available space in our house, and also, honestly, my shopping list is just shorter. With all the big box binges and megasales of past years, and with how many labels are available on streaming services, there is not much more I want to own on CD. So this year the budget has gone from $750 to $350. (This is $275, I'm saving some extra cash for the Walton symphonies album with Karabits/Bournemouth on Onyx, used CDs, and any more budget box set deals that pop up.)

After the orders in this post, probably 50% of my wishlist is out of print discs I am hoping to track down used copies of.

This seems a very logical strategy - taking the time to work out what to invest in, buying it all, then concentrating on enjoying all the abundant treasures spread out in front of you 8).