Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Omicron9

Quote from: André on October 05, 2018, 12:23:36 PM
Back from the used cd store:

That Bloch/Griller set is so freaking good.  If CDs wore out like vinyl, I'd have been forced to buy a 2nd copy by now.  Excellent choice!

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on October 12, 2018, 04:21:43 PM
Ordered tonight
[asin]B07F7V1XPX[/asin]

Thanks for pointing this out, I've seen it around before but never listened.  Initial random sampling has left a very positive impression and I'll explore some more.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

[asin]B07CXDGRP4[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

The Big Szell Box arrived today in a package that the USPS decided to place on top of a mound of rain-wet potting soil. Luckily the music inside is unharmed and gorgeous-looking.

springrite

Lodewijk Mortelmans: Homerische Symphonie

Cecil Armstrong Gibbs: Symphonie "Odysseus"

Gabriel Faure: Penelope

Arthur Bliss: Morning Heroes (Eine Symphonie für Sprecher, Chor, Orchester)

Michael Tippett: King Priam  (Medium: Blu-ray Disc)

Malcolm Arnold: The Return of Odysseus op.119 für Chor & Orchester
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on October 17, 2018, 04:36:14 PM
[asin]B07CXDGRP4[/asin]

The Chamber Music and Piano music recordings in that set are superb. The Plasson recordings of orchestral music, not so much. Your reaction may very, of course.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on October 17, 2018, 04:42:33 PM
The Big Szell Box arrived today in a package that the USPS decided to place on top of a mound of rain-wet potting soil. Luckily the music inside is unharmed and gorgeous-looking.

Potting Szell?! Oh, the humanity . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Biffo

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 17, 2018, 09:18:32 PM
The Chamber Music and Piano music recordings in that set are superb. The Plasson recordings of orchestral music, not so much. Your reaction may very, of course.

These recordings seem to have been round the houses. As I recall the Chamber Music was originally issued by Erato on LP; I have them as an EMI release (5 CDs).
I have the Collard Piano works as a 4 CD Brilliant box. Both are wonderful sets. I have a two-disc set of orchestral works from Plasson (EMI) which is OK but not up to the same level of inspiration as the Chamber & Piano performances.

ritter

Ordered from jpc:

A comment by Mandryka in the "Iliad and Odyssey" thread reminded me of this, an arrangement that had caught my attention years ago but I never got around to explore.

The Enescu enthusiast in me had to get to know these rediscovered pieces (apart from the 1916 oratorio Strigoii, the CD appears to include a work titled Pastorale-fantaisie—or Fantaisie-pastorale::)—for small orchestra).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Biffo on October 18, 2018, 03:49:58 AM
These recordings seem to have been round the houses. As I recall the Chamber Music was originally issued by Erato on LP; I have them as an EMI release (5 CDs).
I have the Collard Piano works as a 4 CD Brilliant box. Both are wonderful sets. I have a two-disc set of orchestral works from Plasson (EMI) which is OK but not up to the same level of inspiration as the Chamber & Piano performances.

The Dumay, Lodeon and Quartet Parrinen are definitely old EMI france recordings. I have them here. I checked the booklet. The older recordings in the set are copyright 1979, EMI Pathé-Marconi.

steve ridgway

Invested twenty pounds in a few pre-loathed bargains ;).

[asin]B000675OFS[/asin]

[asin]B001DLUC2Q[/asin]

[asin]B000026AYP[/asin]

[asin]B000I8OFYG[/asin]

Que

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 17, 2018, 09:18:32 PM
[asin]B07CXDGRP4[/asin]

Bummer.... ::)

I already have the chamber music set - which is great - and considered this reissue precisely because of the inclusion of the orchestral music  (not so keen on Collard in the piano music).

Anyone can make a suggestion on a nice orchestral set?  :)

Q

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Faure Orchestral music is not that central to his output. I tend to think the old Ansermet/Suisse Romande recordings are worth hearing, especially the Penelope prelude, which is beyond any other version I have heard.

[asin]B006CNQXA0[/asin]

I think the best compilation in modern sound is Tortelier

[asin]B000000AY4[/asin]

Que

aligreto

Stanford and Howells Sacred Music

aligreto

Quote from: ritter on October 18, 2018, 04:35:22 AM

That looks interesting. I have Tate in Mozart but I have not heard him in music beyond that.

aligreto

Quote from: 2dogs on October 18, 2018, 09:36:46 PM

[asin]B000675OFS[/asin]

That one also looks interesting. I only dabble in the music of Penderecki.

André

There was a good production at the Met a couple of years ago. I very much enjoyed it. This will be my first Rake ever.

steve ridgway

Quote from: aligreto on October 19, 2018, 09:09:18 AM
That one also looks interesting. I only dabble in the music of Penderecki.

I think I'll move on to dabbling elsewhere but am interested to hear how Penderecki does a requiem, having some by Ligeti, Reimann, Pierre Henry (one a rock version) and another very strange rock version by Os Mundi (sung in Latin) 0:).

Traverso