Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: JBS on May 12, 2019, 05:32:06 AM
I have the Yedid Nefesh CD. Be warned that no texts are included.
The best group in that repetoire I have come across is this one
http://roza-enflorese.be/fr/discographie
If you don't of them, I encourage you to check them out.

I know old Hebrew, so maybe that will help me?  :)
Your link is duly noted, I will venture further into it.
Already found 3 and in order list, Exilio is not available at JPC, so I must get that from Amazon. All other CD'S by them are not available on CD anymore.
You are right, the interpretations fill my bill to a T.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

André

Purchased from Pristine Classical, these newly remastered oldies:

The London Medea from 1959

The 1954 Sibelius symphonies 4 and 5 by Ormandy:

Prokofiev symphonies 5 and 6 by Stokowski:

Mirror Image

Just bought:

From what I've heard, Collins, for me, is much more lyrical in Delius than Beecham. I'll say it again, I appreciate Beecham, but I never thought his Delius was that good. There are others that do a better job in this music and Collins and Barbirolli are two outstanding examples.

aligreto

Ian Wilson Towards the Far Country

Brian

After MDT closed down, and with ArkivMusic looking pretty perilous/unreliable, I needed to look around for stuff Presto and Amazon don't have. Time to try a store new to me, Europadisc. If they come through with everything, this Europadisc order - with a whole lot of rarities from the Chopin Institute, Tacet, and the Prazak Quartet that have been on my radar for years - could pretty much obliterate my longterm wishlist.

If this all arrives safely, my entire classical wishlist will be down to some old Sergei Babayan recordings, Karabits conducting Walton, the Staier/Lubimov HIP CD of Schubert divertissements, and some goodies on Hyperion. And, okay, maaaaybe that big Casadesus box.

Auryn Quartet Haydn Opp. 33, 42, 50, 55, 64, 77, 103 - filling in the gaps in the Haydn quartet collection I already have from the Prazak, Mosaiques, and Endellion Quartets.

JBS

Speaking of Arkivmusic, this back order item finally arrived today (originally ordered 3/22)

That cuts their back order  backlog with me to four CDs, of which only one I really care to have, Atterberg's Double Concerto. The other three were merely "why not get it" items.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Harry

Ordered today, most of the stuff is used and in very good condition. It is new to me, never did that before, lets see how it works out. Most reviews about the vendors were positive to very good. O, well hope it works out.

Harry

More

Florestan

It's not quite complete because The Sicilian Vespers are missing but I guess 27 out of 28 operas plus the sacred music, the string quartet, the songs for voice and piano and a bunch of rarities come as close as it gets to completeness.

I wonder if there is a similar item for Puccini.

I already have the Tal & Groethuyzen box set plus a few other incomplete selections, but this one contains also the rarely performed / recorded early Polonaises for piano 4-hands by Schumann.

I recently heard Rachmaninoff's Vespers on car radio and I was mesmerized. This set has both the Vespers and the Liturgy of St. John Chrisostom in addition to other goodies from several other composers, Bortniansky, Tchaikovsky, Chesnokov and Grechaninov included.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on May 14, 2019, 07:40:13 AM

It's not quite complete because The Sicilian Vespers are missing but I guess 27 out of 28 operas plus the sacred music, the string quartet, the songs for voice and piano and a bunch of rarities come as close as it gets to completeness.

I wonder if there is a similar item for Puccini.

You mean they don't include the French version of Vespers, I assume.  Which is puzzling, since they include dueling Don Carlos/Don Carlo recordings of the same version of the opera. (At least do a French five act vs an Italian four act?!)

As for Puccini, there are Complete Operas but apparently no Complete Works.  The Sony version is a more complete, since it has the complete Edgar and Le Villi.

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on May 14, 2019, 07:52:43 AM
You mean they don't include the French version of Vespers, I assume.  Which is puzzling, since they include dueling Don Carlos/Don Carlo recordings of the same version of the opera. (At least do a French five act vs an Italian four act?!)

I mean they include neither the French nor the Italian version, although they do include the ballet music on the disc devoted to this part of his output. Go figure! I can hardly wait to read the booklet in order to understand what's the rationale behind such an odd decision. :D

As for Puccini, there are Complete Operas but apparently no Complete Works.  The Sony version is a more complete, since it has the complete Edgar and Le Villi.

Aha! Thanks.

JBS

The Italian version is in there....

Opera number 20.

But I just noticed they also have dueling versions of Forza del Destino.

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on May 14, 2019, 08:04:56 AM

Opera number 20.

Jezus Maria, I must have had a temporary blindness!   :o

You're right, I noticed that at first sight. Well, more hours of pleasure, right?  :)

vandermolen

New release:

Can't resist a new recording Fantasia on Sussex a Folk Tunes!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

I finally got around to buying this Ina Boyle CD which has been well recommended to me in the past here

mc ukrneal

Quote from: JBS on May 14, 2019, 08:04:56 AM

Opera number 20.

The latter was revised. If you buy the Gergiev, you get both versions. The orginal was premiered in Russia, but for several years after he made revisions. The one we usually hear today is the latter version. It includes an overture and a new ending among other changes.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

JBS

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 14, 2019, 01:11:22 PM
The latter was revised. If you buy the Gergiev, you get both versions. The orginal was premiered in Russia, but for several years after he made revisions. The one we usually hear today is the latter version. It includes an overture and a new ending among other changes.

I knew about that...I don't think I have ever heard the original St Petersburg version.

What puzzles me here is their treatment of Don Carlos/Don Carlo. The original was five acts in French, later revised into Italian in a four act and then a five act version.

QuoteIt was commissioned and produced by the Théâtre Impérial de l'Opéra (Paris Opera) and given its premiere at the Salle Le Peletier on 11 March 1867.

The first Italian version given in Italy was in Bologna in March 1867. Revised again by Verdi, it was given in Naples in November/December 1872. Finally, two other versions were prepared: the first was seen in Milan in January 1884 (in which the four acts were based on some original French text which was then translated). That is now known as the "Milan version", while the second—also sanctioned by the composer—became the "Modena version" and was presented in that city in December 1886. It restored the "Fontainebleau" first act to the Milan four-act version.
--Wikipedia

Not counting smaller cuts and revisions, there is the Paris version in French, the Milan version in Italian, and the Modena version presumptively in Italian.  The listing says we get the Modena version twice over, once in French and once in Italian. DG has at least one version of the four act version in its back catalog (Karajan 1958) that it could have used. (And the Wikipedia discography is confusing as to which version the Abbado recording performs. That is the French version used in this set.) Why not use that instead of the Solti, which dates from only a few years later (1965)?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Carlos_discography

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2019, 03:07:57 PM

Auryn Quartet Haydn Opp. 33, 42, 50, 55, 64, 77, 103 - filling in the gaps in the Haydn quartet collection I already have from the Prazak, Mosaiques, and Endellion Quartets.

Nice. I own all the Auryn's except op.1 and 2. Some of my favorite Haydn recordings.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ritter

Some great stuff in that set. But what really intrigues me is what Florestan will have to say about Alzira, which the composer himself thought was "proprio brutta".  :D

San Antone

Why did they not include I vespri siciliani?  It is certainly not dispensable.

:-X