Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: San Antone on May 14, 2019, 04:12:01 PM
Why did they not include I vespri siciliani?  It is certainly not dispensable.

:-X
As mentioned earlier, it's there, but was just missed by the poster.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on May 14, 2019, 12:52:44 PM
I finally got around to buying this Ina Boyle CD which has been well recommended to me in the past here

That's a lovely disc! Hope you enjoy it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: André on May 12, 2019, 06:08:23 AM
Purchased from Pristine Classical, these newly remastered oldies:

The London Medea from 1959

The 1954 Sibelius symphonies 4 and 5 by Ormandy:

Prokofiev symphonies 5 and 6 by Stokowski:

That Ormandy and Stokowski release looks of great interest. Let us know what you think of them Andre.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: "Harry" on May 14, 2019, 01:40:28 AM
Ordered today, most of the stuff is used and in very good condition. It is new to me, never did that before, lets see how it works out. Most reviews about the vendors were positive to very good. O, well hope it works out.

Conifer also issued the George Lloyd recordings on LP, I assume from a digital master. There is a good selection on eBay but I will hold fire until I hear what you think of performance/recording.

The Lyrita 4th is ordered. Delivery expected this weekend.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Quote from: Irons on May 14, 2019, 11:26:02 PM
Conifer also issued the George Lloyd recordings on LP, I assume from a digital master. There is a good selection on eBay but I will hold fire until I hear what you think of performance/recording.

The Lyrita 4th is ordered. Delivery expected this weekend.

Well No.2/3/9/11 are already on the way to me. The moment they come in, I have to check them, which means listening right away. Sarge is a admirer of the Lloyd recordings, so far as I know, so I'll go for that. Apart from that there are no other recordings, so there is no choice if I want the music. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2019, 10:05:29 PM

That's a lovely disc! Hope you enjoy it.

Thank you. A much anticipated CD.

Brian

Putting some finishing touches on a clear-out of my classical wishlist, plus caving in to a couple of impulse purchases of Alpha baroque stuff.

From Presto:

From Amazon:

[asin]B000RY027A[/asin]

From Amazon Marketplace:

[asin]B00000JGXB[/asin]

Now all I need is a big Hyperion sale and for a cheap copy of Babayan's Mendelssohn Songs CD to show up.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: "Harry" on May 14, 2019, 11:36:10 PM
Well No.2/3/9/11 are already on the way to me. The moment they come in, I have to check them, which means listening right away. Sarge is a admirer of the Lloyd recordings, so far as I know, so I'll go for that.

I like them all, the range of emotion. 2 has a tragic but ravishing slow movement. 3 is his shortest symphony. It has a Sturm und Drang first movement with an emotionally moving second subject and a gorgeous tragic slow movement. (Lloyd has an amazing ability to imbue the tragic with intense beauty.) The five movement 11 is almost Mahlerian. 9 juxtaposes a light opening movement (portraying a young, vibrant girl) with a bitter, dissonant slow movement (an old woman looking back, grief-stricken).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Harry

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 15, 2019, 01:08:34 PM
I like them all, the range of emotion. 2 has a tragic but ravishing slow movement. 3 is his shortest symphony. It has a Sturm und Drang first movement with an emotionally moving second subject and a gorgeous tragic slow movement. (Lloyd has an amazing ability to imbue the tragic with intense beauty.) The five movement 11 is almost Mahlerian. 9 juxtaposes a light opening movement (portraying a young, vibrant girl) with a bitter, dissonant slow movement (an old woman looking back, grief-stricken).

Sarge

Well this I will expect then. Thanks for shedding some light on what I am about to hear :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

André

Mirror Image

I bought some Walton, too, Andre and one other recording:

Kyung Wha Chung's performance of Walton's Violin Concerto is still the one to beat for me. I've heard four other performances (Little, Kennedy, Heifetz, and Ehnes) and none of them can touch Chung's intensity and complete dedication to this work.

JBS

Arkivmusic is having a 1 day sale. So I ordered

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2019, 05:56:07 AM
Just bought:

I didn't "get" the Variations on first listen, but this performance of the Symphony is an absolute crackerjack. Super fun.

Also, listen to Walton's Partita and Roussel's Suite in F back-to-back for a bit of a surprise.  ;)

André

Quote from: JBS on May 15, 2019, 06:06:33 PM
Arkivmusic is having a 1 day sale. So I ordered

I'm interested in your comments on the Beethoven/Nagano set, Jeffrey. When you have the chance of course  :)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2019, 04:59:09 PM
I bought some Walton, too, Andre and one other recording:

Kyung Wha Chung's performance of Walton's Violin Concerto is still the one to beat for me. I've heard four other performances (Little, Kennedy, Heifetz, and Ehnes) and none of them can touch Chung's intensity and complete dedication to this work.
The Chung is a fine performance. This is the incarnation i have:

I like your cover art better as it shows a young KW Chung, such intensity and concentration. on mine i am not sure what the covert art has to do with the 2 works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 16, 2019, 08:39:27 AM
I didn't "get" the Variations on first listen, but this performance of the Symphony is an absolute crackerjack. Super fun.

Also, listen to Walton's Partita and Roussel's Suite in F back-to-back for a bit of a surprise.  ;)

I'll have to try that, Brian. Sounds neat. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 16, 2019, 11:55:12 AM
The Chung is a fine performance. This is the incarnation i have:

I like your cover art better as it shows a young KW Chung, such intensity and concentration. on mine i am not sure what the covert art has to do with the 2 works.

I prefer this younger Chung cover, too, unfortunately I couldn't find a decent cover for issue I actually bought, but it's paired with the Elgar Cello Concerto. Yeah, that cover art with the butterflies makes no sense whatsoever.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2019, 06:16:56 PM
I prefer this younger Chung cover, too, unfortunately I couldn't find a decent cover for issue I actually bought, but it's paired with the Elgar Cello Concerto. Yeah, that cover art with the butterflies makes no sense whatsoever.

I got it in this set, which is OOP:

[asin]B00076YNHS[/asin]

There was yet another Decca set with different recordings of the Symphonies and Cello Concerto

[asin]B008W5TDSU[/asin]

And look at this:

[asin]B00Y3MP0V0[/asin]

Introverted

Latest buys:

[asin]B00U2OT3IE[/asin]

[asin]B00NWZIPE8[/asin]

Now own all of this Symphony Cycle on CD. :)