Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

André

While looking for versions of the 4th symphony I found this at a bargain basement price. So, why not?

ritter

From an Amazon Spain MP seller:

[asin]B00YASQWY6[/asin]
This disc received high prasie from our fellow GMGer Jens Laursen some time ago. I have a selection (about an hour's worth of music, or 1/3 of what appeaas on ths set) of Roger-Ducasse's piano pieces on an old HM CD (with Dominique Merlet at the keyboard), but thought getting to know it all (AFAIK, Martin Jones's is the only complete traversal) appealed to me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on May 27, 2019, 02:43:27 AM
From an Amazon Spain MP seller:

[asin]B00YASQWY6[/asin]
This disc received high prasie from our fellow GMGer Jens Laursen some time ago. I have a selection (about an hour's worth of music, or 1/3 of what appeaas on ths set) of Roger-Ducasse's piano pieces on an old HM CD (with Dominique Merlet at the keyboard), but thought getting to know it all (AFAIK, Martin Jones's is the only complete traversal) appealed to me.

I'm not familiar with Roger-Ducasse's piano music, but there's also this:

[asin]B01MUHR01O[/asin]

Which doesn't claim to be complete, but it received a good review on Amazon. Let me know what you think of this composer's piano music. I know he was an outstanding orchestrator having worked on several Debussy pieces, but other than this, I don't know his own music.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2019, 06:00:43 AM
I'm not familiar with Roger-Ducasse's piano music, but there's also this:

[asin]B01MUHR01O[/asin]

Which doesn't claim to be complete, but it received a good review on Amazon. Let me know what you think of this composer's piano music. I know he was an outstanding orchestrator having worked on several Debussy pieces, but other than this, I don't know his own music.
Good day, John.

This is what I had to say some time back on Roger-Ducasse:

Quote from: ritter on May 03, 2016, 01:04:14 PM
S... I hadn't listened to this for years, and found it quite enjoyable this time. Very French in outlook (I mean this as a complement, me being an avowed Francophile in music). While listening to it, I had this image in my mind of a boat securely moored at a Fauréan pier, with the ropes preventing it from being pulled by the current to a Debussyan shore on he oppsoite side of the river  ;). I particularly liked Sonorités, the three Études included in the CD  ("en sixtes", and No. 3 & 4 from the Quatre Études), and Rythmes (with some Spanish inflections). Dominique Merlot's pianisim sounds perfectly fine (but I have nothing to compare him to). I am tempted to eventually explore the complete Martin Jones set, and should revisit a CD of orchestral music by Roger-Ducasse I own, conducted by Leif Segerstam (how he found time for this, while composing all those symphonies, appears miraculous to me  :D).
I'll try to report in more detail when I've listened to the new purchase.

staxomega

Quote from: Todd on May 25, 2019, 04:44:11 AM

A mix up I can live with.

A student of Maria Tipo, I have his recording of Hammerklavier in my listening queue.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on May 27, 2019, 06:18:19 AM
Good day, John.

This is what I had to say some time back on Roger-Ducasse:
I'll try to report in more detail when I've listened to the new purchase.

Good day to you, Rafael. Yes, some feedback would be great, especially since you have first-hand experience with this composer's music.

Mirror Image

I've recently become rather infatuated with the music of Scriabin, so here's a few recent purchases:

I own the Scriabin Complete box on Decca, but I'm not too enthralled with the performers involved. No offense to Ashkenazy, who is a fine pianist, he's not the only answer in Scriabin and I find he lacks a certain nuance in Scriabin's music. One of the more overrated, IMHO, pianists in the Decca set is Valentina Lisitsa. Who, by the way, ruined Hilary Hahn's recording of Ives' Violin Sonatas. I also wanted to get Lettberg's set for the earlier piano works and so I'll own works outside of the oft-recorded, Piano Sonatas. Anyway, I also wanted to have a set of the symphonies (even though I already own Svetlanov's). The Muti set is incredible and, for me, this is one of the landmark sets for these orchestral works.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2019, 11:45:16 AM
I've recently become rather infatuated with the music of Scriabin, so here's a few recent purchases:

Ruth Laredo's traversal of the sonatas was my introduction to the music of Scriabin many years ago, and still remains a favourite. Very delicate and evocative playing...Hope you enjoy that set.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on May 27, 2019, 12:36:40 PM
Ruth Laredo's traversal of the sonatas was my introduction to the music of Scriabin many years ago, and still remains a favourite. Very delicate and evocative playing...Hope you enjoy that set.

Thank you, Rafael. I listened to some of her playing via YouTube and was rather taken by her approach, which borderlines Impressionism at times with her use of color, but I think Scriabin could be attributed to this as well since it's his music after all. :)

Mirror Image

Following in Rafael's (ritter) footsteps yet again:

I went with this Joel Hastings recording of the some of the piano music as 1. it's almost like a sampler of sorts, although it does contain full works, 2. I absolutely loathe Nimbus' audio quality for a majority of the recordings on their label that I've heard, and 3. I've never been impressed with Martin Jones' pianism.

TheGSMoeller

Everyone starts talking about RVW and I start opening my wallet.
I do already own the LSO/Thomson Pastoral Symphony on digital, but saw a used copy for cheap. The Brabbins will be new to me, but I was unaware that they recorded the 1920 version so I'm all in.

Brian

Just listened to the Previn/RCA London Symphony yesterday! Man that's a fun piece.

-

Just ordered for $100 all in from Europadisc:

I already know and love the Naxos Ravel and Urbanski Lutoslawski - they're my #1 picks for those works - so it seems smart to have them around physically instead of needing to hop on streaming to hear The Best. The English choral thing is a gamble since I've never heard any of it, but also not much of a gamble since it was only $23.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on May 26, 2019, 04:49:17 PM

While looking for versions of the 4th symphony I found this at a bargain basement price. So, why not?
I really like those Danish NRSO Sibelius recordings with Segerstam, especially Symphony 3, In Memoriam and Tapiola.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 27, 2019, 08:37:08 PM
Everyone starts talking about RVW and I start opening my wallet.
I do already own the LSO/Thomson Pastoral Symphony on digital, but saw a used copy for cheap. The Brabbins will be new to me, but I was unaware that they recorded the 1920 version so I'm all in.

Three great discs. The Brabbins recording of the 1920 London Symphony is a very special release. I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Do I need another recording of Bach's Suites for Cello, Unaccompanied? Apparently the answer is yes! Gastinel.

[asin]B000YQ8B2E[/asin]

SonicMan46

Over the last few days - some new ones (Stanford & Walton discs new ones) and Suzuki will be replacements - Dave :)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2019, 07:55:35 AM
Just bought:

I hope you didn't buy all that just to discover that you don't really like Liszt's music? ??? :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2019, 03:05:15 PM
I hope you didn't buy all that just to discover that you don't really like Liszt's music? ??? :D

You're reading my mind...

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2019, 03:05:15 PM

Actually, I like Liszt's music a lot. I just don't talk about it too often. I plan to add more to my collection later.