Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Just ordered these three CDs real cheap:

All for under $10 shipping included. Very excited ;D

JBS

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 08, 2019, 04:38:14 PM

That Hampson CD is, I think, the best performance of the Ruckert Lieder ever recorded.  The Kindertotenlieder is almost as good.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

springrite

Quote from: Todd on September 08, 2019, 05:11:56 AM

I liked Ms Stern's Mozart so much, I figured I should buy her more recent Bach since the download is so nicely priced.
I think this one is even better than the Mozart
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

springrite

Arditti-Quartet - First Performance VI  (Medium: 1 CD, 1 Blu-ray Disc)

Ottorino Respighi: Sinfonia Drammatica +Belfagor-Ouvertüre   

Georg Friedrich Händel: Italienische Kantaten I - "Le Cantate per il Cardinal Pamphili"

Ignaz Brüll: Klavierwerke
    Klaviersonate d-moll op. 73; Suite Nr. 2 op. 71; 7 Albumblätter für die Jugend op. 33; Legende aus Suite Nr. 3 op. 76; etc.

Frederic Rzewski: Four Pieces

Robert Volkmann: Streichquartette Nr.2 & 5

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach: Sonaten für Violine & Klavier Wq.76-78 (Edna Stern)

Luigi Boccherini: Streichtrios op.54 Nr.2,4-6

Eugen D'Albert: Symphonie op.4 +Seejungfräulein op. 15 für Sopran & Orchester 
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 08, 2019, 04:38:14 PM

A very good, solid version. Bass Cesare Siepi is superb in the Agnus Dei. Enjoy!

André

pjme

And so is this one to me

https://www.youtube.com/v/JE90ZGmgq_Q

Discovered this symphony purely by chance and quite like its solid vigour. Will re listen!

André

I recently listened to Caplet's Conte fantastique and Pierné's Variations libres et final in the big Icon box of Lily Laskine recordings, on loan from a friend. I found both works superb. Fortunately they appear on this disc along with other little-known works by Jongen and Martin.

j winter

Decided to splurge on a couple more Sibelius sets... hard to resist at 10 bucks a pop... :) 

The Berglund seems to be very highly respected, and I've always loved Barbirolli's Mahler and Brahms -- the only reason I didn't pick up his set 10 years ago was the expense -- good things come to those who wait  :laugh:

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

j winter

And added some Nielsen as well...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

The new erato

On their way from jpc:

Christo

Quote from: André on September 10, 2019, 11:52:26 AM

I recently listened to Caplet's Conte fantastique and Pierné's Variations libres et final in the big Icon box of Lily Laskine recordings, on loan from a friend. I found both works superb. Fortunately they appear on this disc along with other little-known works by Jongen and Martin.
Fabulous disc!  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

Quote from: Christo on September 11, 2019, 02:42:07 PM
Fabulous disc!  :)

I remembered having seen a huge recommendation for it some time ago, couldn't recall from whom, though  :D.

André

Quote from: The new erato on September 11, 2019, 12:11:53 PM
On their way from jpc:

You MUST tell us what you think of the Pettersson VC !! One piece of advice: listen to the first track of the Barefoot Songs before you proceed with the concerto, it's the basis of the concerto's final section. A cathartic moment if ever there was one.

Harry

Yay another Stanford release, on the order list!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Maestro267

Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated!
Marc-André Hamelin (piano)

Prokofiev: Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 2 ("To October")
BBC Symphony Chorus/BBC SO/Elder

Irons

This CD dropped through my letterbox this morning. Yet to listen but found it interesting that all three works by Bax, Lambert and Rieti were composed in the same year,1931. With Bax in London, Lambert in London and Marseille (coincidently I'm visiting Marseille later this month) and Rieti composed his Serenade in Paris. I think to include works written in the same year an excellent idea.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Quote from: Irons on September 12, 2019, 04:40:41 AM

This CD dropped through my letterbox this morning. Yet to listen but found it interesting that all three works by Bax, Lambert and Rieti were composed in the same year,1931. With Bax in London, Lambert in London and Marseille (coincidently I'm visiting Marseille later this month) and Rieti composed his Serenade in Paris. I think to include works written in the same year an excellent idea.

I agree that's a good programming idea.

Not loving the cover, though. All that extra round decoration is causing my brain to convert 'L' into 'C' and thus replace "Lambert" with "Camembert".
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé [Dutoit]

It has been so long since I have been able to log on to this site that I have forgotten who recommended this CD to me.

Madiel

You probably got a bit of a chorus of recommendations for that one. I didn't bother adding my voice at the time because there had already been enthusiastic recommendations. I bought it myself some years ago because it seemed to be one of Dutoit's most consistently acclaimed records.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!