Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Madiel on September 07, 2019, 04:50:50 AM

What Amazon sold me was a crappily packaged CD-R with no booklet and so no lyrics for these vocal works.

And I am annoyed as hell, because at no stage during my browsing and purchasing did I go through the "edition" page that would have highlighted this is what Amazon is selling. Because of the way that they mix together their own products and marketplace sellers, and have 4 different editions, I had no clue.

I have left a one star review accordingly, to join the other one star reviews that are, of course, only available if you just happen to click through to the right "edition" of the album.

Now to find a real album.  >:( >:(

EDIT: Turns out the booklet can be downloaded from the Chandos website (even though it's not a Chandos album). I'm still mad and have no intention of retracting my refund request.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on September 16, 2019, 10:13:18 PM
What Amazon sold me was a crappily packaged CD-R with no booklet and so no lyrics for these vocal works.

And I am annoyed as hell, because at no stage during my browsing and purchasing did I go through the "edition" page that would have highlighted this is what Amazon is selling. Because of the way that they mix together their own products and marketplace sellers, and have 4 different editions, I had no clue.

I have left a one star review accordingly, to join the other one star reviews that are, of course, only available if you just happen to click through to the right "edition" of the album.

Despite the fact that Amazon lists 3 reviews, only 2 are available and they are 6 years old. Apparently yours was not published.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on September 16, 2019, 11:42:53 PM
Despite the fact that Amazon lists 3 reviews, only 2 are available and they are 6 years old. Apparently yours was not published.

They say it takes a couple of days to process a review. Possibly for defamatory content...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on September 16, 2019, 11:45:04 PM
They say it takes a couple of days to process a review. Possibly for defamatory content...

I can hardly wait to read yours. The other two are equally negative.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on September 17, 2019, 12:03:30 AM
I can hardly wait to read yours. The other two are equally negative.

It's just a ridiculous thing to do with vocal works, not include the booklet that had the texts in them.

The Chandos website is not an ideal substitute because the formatting of CD booklets is not an A4 page... but I'm not paying Amazon for a CD-R when I could already listen to this music on streaming services, or buy a download (Presto, for example, has downloads and DOES at least include a digital booklet). A decent booklet is really one of the main reasons to buy this in CD format, and they don't give you one. Just a really crappy inlay.

The immediate automated response for processing the refund said I don't have to return the disc. Of course not. They'll just spit out another one if someone manages to navigate to the shopping cart through the mp3/streaming editions as I did.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on September 17, 2019, 12:18:38 AM
It's just a ridiculous thing to do with vocal works, not include the booklet that had the texts in them.

The Chandos website is not an ideal substitute because the formatting of CD booklets is not an A4 page... but I'm not paying Amazon for a CD-R when I could already listen to this music on streaming services, or buy a download (Presto, for example, has downloads and DOES at least include a digital booklet). A decent booklet is really one of the main reasons to buy this in CD format, and they don't give you one. Just a really crappy inlay.

The immediate automated response for processing the refund said I don't have to return the disc. Of course not. They'll just spit out another one if someone manages to navigate to the shopping cart through the mp3/streaming editions as I did.

Yeah, that's a whole load of shit.

Chandos booklets have been useful for me, though I was not able to find everything I wanted.

Mandryka

Just found it in Melomania in Paris, I'm very pleased.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Handel: Ariodante [Minkowski]

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 17, 2019, 06:47:57 AM

Just found it in Melomania in Paris, I'm very pleased.

I can imagine!  :)

JBS

last night

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on September 17, 2019, 08:26:02 AM
I can imagine!  :)

Yes, it's well worth setting up alerts on their website for recordings you're after. In fact, with this one I set the alert yesterday and got an email this afternoon! But there have been a few other things they've found for me in that way in the past, always very reasonably priced and quick to dispatch. If you're ever in Paris it's nice to visit to their shop if you're near St Germain des Prés with a bit of time to kill. They're friendly.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

I have ordered some Ablitzer CDs  (from Harmonic records - fast and courteous service). Just now they are on their way to me.

Buxtehude organ works vol. 6
Boehm organ and vocal works
Bruna organ works.

Also the Koito Bach triosonatas CD

and the Dufay/Binchois CD with Vellard.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 17, 2019, 09:31:29 AM
I have ordered some Ablitzer CDs  (from Harmonic records - fast and courteous service). Just now they are on their way to me.

Buxtehude organ works vol. 6
Boehm organ and vocal works
Bruna organ works.

Also the Koito Bach triosonatas CD

and the Dufay/Binchois CD with Vellard.

I would add the Couperin organ masses....

Q

prémont

Quote from: Que on September 17, 2019, 10:07:23 AM
I would add the Couperin organ masses....

Q

I was tempted because of the participation of Ensemble Organum. But I have to say, that I never enjoyed Francois Couperin's music that much.

Instead I ordered this from Amazon.fr:

https://www.amazon.fr/Siglo-Oro-J-Charles-Cablitzer/dp/B07PRW64FF/ref=sr_1_29?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=ablitzer&qid=1568741643&s=music&sr=1-29
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

EDIT: Turns out the booklet can be downloaded from the Chandos website (even though it's not a Chandos album). I'm still mad and have no intention of retracting my refund request.
I'm especially sorry to hear this because that is a very enjoyable album.

André

mc ukrneal

Can I clarify - did you buy this from the US Amazon? Because on the page for that disc (on US amazon), it states quite clearly near the top of the page (right under the prices) that this disc is manufactured on demand. If you click on 'learn more' it says you'll get a CD-R with the artwork (makes no mention of the booklet). Now, if you buy a used product (perhaps this is what you got?), there is no way to know if you will get a used product or an old printed version. This is why I almost never buy used unless the price is sufficiently low to offset the risk (which practically means I never buy used either). Marco Polo is one of the brands you always have to look for this little notice (on Amazon at least).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

springrite

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 17, 2019, 05:40:29 PM
Can I clarify - did you buy this from the US Amazon? Because on the page for that disc (on US amazon), it states quite clearly near the top of the page (right under the prices) that this disc is manufactured on demand. If you click on 'learn more' it says you'll get a CD-R with the artwork (makes no mention of the booklet). Now, if you buy a used product (perhaps this is what you got?), there is no way to know if you will get a used product or an old printed version. This is why I almost never buy used unless the price is sufficiently low to offset the risk (which practically means I never buy used either). Marco Polo is one of the brands you always have to look for this little notice (on Amazon at least).
I have purchased CD-R like this before, knowing that it's just CD-R with no libretto. I have La Favorita and recording of the premiere performance of Vanessa (Barber) that way.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Madiel

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 17, 2019, 05:40:29 PM

But you don't need to have gone through "the page for that disc" in order to BUY that disc. Which is my point.

If you find the album and the first version you find is streaming or mp3, it is perfectly possible to click on the offer for buying various copies without ever encountering the Amazon CD page that says it is manufactured on demand. Trust me I checked.

And the page that lists all the new and used copies, including Amazon's CD-R? Zero indication on THAT page that it's a CD-R. It's simply listed as "New".

Amazon's site design is frankly woeful in some areas. As an Australian you also won't encounter proper warnings about what they won't ship to Australia anymore until you try to check out your shopping cart. 

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on September 17, 2019, 07:26:43 PM
But you don't need to have gone through "the page for that disc" in order to BUY that disc. Which is my point.

If you find the album and the first version you find is streaming or mp3, it is perfectly possible to click on the offer for buying various copies without ever encountering the Amazon CD page that says it is manufactured on demand. Trust me I checked.

And the page that lists all the new and used copies, including Amazon's CD-R? Zero indication on THAT page that it's a CD-R.

Amazon's site design is frankly woeful in some areas. As an Australian you also won't encounter proper warnings about what they won't ship to Australia anymore until you try to check out your shopping cart.

The lesson therefore is always click on the main listing page.
However, there certainly is no indication that the booklet is not included.

I once ordered an Arkiv CD-R by mistake through Amazon MP. (Via Arkivmusic's Amazon storefront)  They did include a photo offset of the original booklet.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk