Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Which listing page is the main listing page, eh?

They generally put streaming first, then mp3, then CD last. There is simply no basis for saying the CD listing is the "main" page.

The lesson is that Amazon's website has a shit design.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on September 17, 2019, 07:39:17 PM
Which listing page is the main listing page, eh?

They generally put streaming first, then mp3, then CD last. There is simply no basis for saying the CD listing is the "main" page.

The lesson is that Amazon's website has a shit design.

Are you searching through Google?  That seems to bring up the streaming page. But I mostly search through Amazon's  search box, which yields listings that give all three as alternates.

I suppose I should amend my statement to "click on the CD listing" before you check the Marketplace options.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on September 17, 2019, 07:48:04 PM
Are you searching through Google?  That seems to bring up the streaming page. But I mostly search through Amazon's  search box, which yields listings that give all three as alternates.

I suppose I should amend my statement to "click on the CD listing" before you check the Marketplace options.

I am generally starting with a google search, yes, because there are several OTHER reasons why Amazon is not my first preference. Though I cannot recall now how I originally searched for this album.

But even from Amazon's own page, you will get the other formats unless you specifically switch the search to only deal with physical CDs. And if I can click on the first result of, say, streaming, and you then offer links to go and look at all of the used and new copies directly, it seems pretty obvious to me why I took the 1-click process instead of the 2-click process.

The refund is reportedly processed so this is not costing me money, but it is definitely a waste of my time.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

I gave into temptation at Amazon UK:

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on September 18, 2019, 10:30:41 AM

Q

The Habsburg violin music, the Bonelli set, Arauxo, love is strange, have my votes, all excellent choices.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Daverz

My purchases these days are not glamorous, just old things I found browsing around on Amazon:

[asin] B00006I4A5[/asin]
I bought this for a single item, the Fuge from Weinberger's Polka & Fugue.  The Kempe Icon box has the other items, but ridiculously omits the Fugue.  I have Reiner's Polka & Fugue, an excellent recording, do I really need another one?  But not having the Kempe complete drives me nuts.  I did find it cheap on Amazon.

[asin] B00005MGAN[/asin]

I love Sgambati's symphonies.  Let's see how he does with piano concertos.

JBS

Quote from: Que on September 18, 2019, 10:30:41 AM

Q

You did not give into temptation.
You made a wise investment.

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on September 18, 2019, 07:02:20 PM
You did not give into temptation.
You made a wise investment.
You sound like Moonfish on the CDCDCD thread!

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on September 18, 2019, 07:18:32 PM
You sound like Moonfish on the CDCDCD thread!

I miss Moonfish...

Ken B

Maestro267

Adams: Common Tones in Simple Time; Harmonielehre; Short Ride in a Fast Machine
Montreal SO/Nagano

listener

d'INDY:  Wallenstein, op. 12, Sérénade et Valse, op. 28,
Lied op. 19 for cello and orch.,  Suite dans le style ancient op. 24
Iceland Radio S.O.    Rumon Gamba, cond
BERG: Three Orchestral Pieces, op. 6    Seven Early Songs,      Der Wein
Anne Sofie van Otter,  Vienna Philharmonic,  Claudio Abbado, cond.
-   a "vanilla" re-issue -  notes but no texts
"Les Blasphèmes"    songs of disquiet from the turn-of the-century
CHAMINADE, DUPONT, d,INDY, CHAUSSON, SAINT-SAËNS  etc
Sarah Laulan, contralto  Maciej Pikulski, piano Quatuor Hermès

DGG image of the Berg n/a
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

I bought me second hand copies of these on the market place:

I have all these works already. The American disc appeals as a programme, and I very much look forward to hear Jill Gomez in Barber's enchanting Knoxville: Summer of 1915. The Gergiev R&J has a high reputation and I consider it the best ballet ever written. As for the Brahms, I had this particular interpretation on LP and it has never been bettered. Shipping costs are double the cost of the discs  ::).

Alek Hidell

On sale at jpc, that bête noire of my bank account:

Ten discs for a sawbuck. I'll take it.

I'm not even an opera fan and the only Wagner I've ever heard is Karajan's Tristan (I have the classic Solti Ring, but have yet to get to it), but this was marked down from $170 to $40. Thirteen SACDs. Again, I'll take it. (The listing now says it's unavailable.)

Three bucks. Gimme.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

amw

This was well out of my price range at €25, but cheaper copies weren't showing up over a months long waiting period and apart from some out of print Salabert, MFA, Edition Modern & col legno stuff and of course the usual MDG/Hyperion suspects this was the biggest remaining hole in my wishlist.

(I should probably get the rest of them lined up in a proper wishlist, as opposed to a mental wishlist, sooner or later.)

JBS

aligreto

David Oistrakh: The Complete EMI Recordings

Ex libris Karl Henning with much gratitude from me.
I will start posting later on.

Todd

Looks like Amazon Add-ons are a thing of the past for CDs.  In their place is something better - the same price with no $25 minimum purchase.

Also, while Amazon's suggestions that pop up on my landing page and in my inbox still miss the mark, it looks like their distribution analytics has determined that someone in the Portland area keeps buying cheap, obscure piano recordings, because the Mircea disc will be here tomorrow - meaning it's at the local distribution center.  That has been happening with increasing regularity over the last six months.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on September 22, 2019, 06:42:03 AM
David Oistrakh: The Complete EMI Recordings

Ex libris Karl Henning with much gratitude from me.
I will start posting later on.

Congratulations,this is a truly attractive box,start with the Mozart violin concertos,or....,or....,or..... and so on. :)

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on September 22, 2019, 07:35:51 AM
Congratulations,this is a truly attractive box,start with the Mozart violin concertos,or....,or....,or..... and so on. :)

Thank you my friend. Yes, having a few of the individual releases I understand that one can start anywhere with this artist.