TD
Decided it was time to join the fun with this
[asin]B00009P9UB[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Moonfish

Wiener Staatsoper

Looking forward to this....

[asin] B07SCHF6Y2[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

I resisted this for the last couple of years, but it is now $98 including international shipping from Am UK.  The 11 concert DVDs pushed me over the edge... [link is to US Am, by the way, not the "cheap one"]

[asin]B019JGOOEI[/asin]
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 11, 2019, 09:22:19 PM
I resisted this for the last couple of years, but it is now $98 including international shipping from Am UK.  The 11 concert DVDs pushed me over the edge... [link is to US Am, by the way, not the "cheap one"]

[asin]B019JGOOEI[/asin]

Nice. It will keep you busy for at least a week!   >:D   Some of the early recordings with Menuhin and his sister accompanying him are delightful!  :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2019, 09:32:24 PM
Nice. It will keep you busy for at least a week!   >:D   Some of the early recordings with Menuhin and his sister accompanying him are delightful!  :)

King Ubu spoke highly of those too, which was another thing prompting me towards this. I also bought Menuhin's autobiography. Reading while listening to relevant disks adds a lot of pleasure to the experience...

It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 11, 2019, 10:12:18 PM
   King Ubu spoke highly of those too, which was another thing prompting me towards this. I also bought Menuhin's autobiography. Reading while listening to relevant disks adds a lot of pleasure to the experience...

Which one? "Unfinished Journey"?
Anna Lappé

Harry

Bought in the BIS sale at JPC de.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

And these ones

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Florestan

Quote from: "Harry" on October 12, 2019, 02:27:47 AM
Bought in the BIS sale at JPC de.

You didn't have the Ariosti discs already? I'm greatly surprised.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2019, 04:18:55 AM
You didn't have the Ariosti discs already? I'm greatly surprised.

Don't be, they were mislaid in my collection, and cannot find them back.

Florestan

Quote from: "Harry" on October 12, 2019, 04:49:35 AM
Don't be, they were mislaid in my collection, and cannot find them back.

I see. Well, I can imagine such misfortune happening wihile managing 40,000+ CDs.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2019, 05:52:16 AM
I see. Well, I can imagine such misfortune happening wihile managing 40,000+ CDs.  :)

Yes that is a real pain. I have to cull again me thinks, but nobody wants classical CD'S anymore. even if I give them for free, they are still not willing to pay postage.
I did that also in the past, but from the 2000 CD'S I send around the world, most receivers were not so polite to say a word of thanks. The postage amount was a round 900 euros.
About that I am disillusioned. A well!

JBS

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 11, 2019, 09:22:19 PM

[asin]B019JGOOEI[/asin]

I paid a little bit more for that last year.

Be aware that there are a number of Menuhin recordings not in that box.
For me the most interesting were the recordings with Enescu, all of them are included.
The box's arrangement, a bunch of small boxes nested inside a big one, was helpful.
Ironically (since it's the part that triggered your purchase) the DVDs are the one part of the box I have not touched.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

The new erato

Some discs from europadisc

[asin]B07F9G2R9V[/asin]

Great disc

[asin]B07D54LFLL[/asin]

Just started listening - interesting som far.

[asin]B07MCDXPWB[/asin]

Fine disc. Sligthly like Prokofiev, fine playing and recording.

vers la flamme

Quote from: "Harry" on October 12, 2019, 06:00:04 AM
Yes that is a real pain. I have to cull again me thinks, but nobody wants classical CD'S anymore. even if I give them for free, they are still not willing to pay postage.
I did that also in the past, but from the 2000 CD'S I send around the world, most receivers were not so polite to say a word of thanks. The postage amount was a round 900 euros.
If you're ever serious about getting rid of some, message me, I'll pay for postage AND say thank you :D

Mookalafalas

Quote from: JBS on October 12, 2019, 10:44:38 AM
I paid a little bit more for that last year.

Be aware that there are a number of Menuhin recordings not in that box.
For me the most interesting were the recordings with Enescu, all of them are included.
The box's arrangement, a bunch of small boxes nested inside a big one, was helpful.
Ironically (since it's the part that triggered your purchase) the DVDs are the one part of the box I have not touched.

Thanks, JBS.  Missing recordings is no problem. I'm definitely not a completist. About the DVDs...I tend to like them more in theory than practice.  I've bought a lot, and to be honest, have only watched a few. It may be they were a rationalization to help me pull the trigger.  I guess I'll find out after I've had the box for a while :-\
It's all good...

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on October 12, 2019, 06:00:04 AM

Terrible, Harry! Perhaps they wanted those CDs not enough...  ::)
Also, most people have a very strange attitude when they get something for free.
I make point of letting anyone except close friends to pay something, even if it is very little.

I share the problem of a lack of proper channels to get rid of stuff I (no longer) need.
The now-gone little store where I live, bought anything I offered for a fair price and resold 90% of the stuff within days....
But those days are gone.... Dodax and Medimops sell to me, but buy only within the UK or Germany.
Perhaps someone in Germany can help you out? Free shipping!

Q

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2019, 05:52:16 AM

I thought Harry culled his collection down to 5,000 CDs a few years back...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

prémont

Quote from: 71 dB on October 13, 2019, 03:29:20 AM
I thought Harry culled his collection down to 5,000 CDs a few years back...

It takes more than a few years to cull it that down.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.