Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

I have that Sacre in this incarnation (which wasn't easy to obtain, I must say).

It's the recording disparaged by the composer in one of his books of conversations with Robert Craft (along with, IIRC, all other recordings mentioned there--as they say in Spanish, "he left no puppet with its head on"  ;D), but the recording received huge acclaim, and I think it is rather successful, and a important document of Boulez's early years as a symphonic conductor. It also has a live counterpart; the public performances that led to the studio recording, issued--with very intersting couplings-- in this long OOP set:

JBS

I see Harry has the Waltz fever!

TD
over the weekend

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Harry

Quote from: JBS on January 13, 2020, 08:00:18 AM
I see Harry has the Waltz fever!

I love to waltz, especially when they are as good as the CPO recordings, of unknown composers. In classical music that's my only vice, in which I profusely indulge. :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: ritter on January 13, 2020, 01:03:08 AM
Instead of going for volume 1 by the same performers, I went for this:

[asin]B0057JWUVG[/asin]
I've read mixed reviews (particularly regarding the sound quality), but at the price I bought, I'd thought I'd give it a shot.

Oooooh, the sound on those is just horrendous???
And I'm not a stickler on sound, but this really put me off.
They hired a lunatic as sound engineer, that's the only thing that came to my mind.

I love the EMI set/series from the Good Old Times...   :)

Q

San Antone

Quote from: ritter on January 13, 2020, 01:03:08 AM
Instead of going for volume 1 by the same performers, I went for this:

[asin]B0057JWUVG[/asin]

I've read mixed reviews (particularly regarding the sound quality), but at the price I bought, I'd thought I'd give it a shot.

Quote from: Que on January 13, 2020, 08:41:27 AM
Oooooh, the sound on those is just horrendous???
And I'm not a stickler on sound, but this really put me off.
They hired a lunatic as sound engineer, that's the only thing that came to my mind.

I love the EMI set/series from the Good Old Times...   :)

Q

I don't know what you guys are talking about; I hear nothing "horrendous" about the sound.  I am listening on Spotify and it sounds like a live recording in a medium sized room with wood-paneled walls, i.e. somewhat reflective, but not too much (I don't agree with the Amazon reviewers who claim it is too reverberant).  I much prefer this kind of sound to a dry studio acoustic.

And I consider the performances to be first rate.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: "Harry" on January 13, 2020, 08:39:13 AM
I love to waltz, especially when they are as good as the CPO recordings, of unknown composers. In classical music that's my only vice, in which I profusely indulge. :laugh:
They are all quite enjoyable. I hope you like them.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

JBS

Triggered by my earlier conversation on this thread with Harry

[asin]B004MGMIA8[/asin]

[It's been on my wishlist for several years. But I decided it was time to "fish or cut bait", to use the more delicate version of the saying.]

Papy Oli

One more Bax :

[asin]B00003W0Z1[/asin]
Olivier

steve ridgway

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 14, 2020, 01:10:51 AM
One more Bax :

[asin]B00003W0Z1[/asin]

How is a forest happy when it has no trees? :-\

Traverso

Quote from: JBS on January 13, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

[asin]B004MGMIA8[/asin]

[It's been on my wishlist for several years. But I decided it was time to "fish or cut bait", to use the more delicate version of the saying.]

A bit too much for me but they sound really fine,the Bauern polka fun to listen to.

Harry

[asin]B004MGMIA8[/asin]

I am mightily impressed and really glad you took the plunge. For the money its a steal. And the performances are always good to very good, give or take a few rough edges.
Let me know in due time what you think of it.

Florestan

[asin]B004MGMIA8[/asin]

Countless hours of pleasure awaiting for you. Good choice. Now, make sure to add Johann Strauss I and Josef Strauss, Naxos recorded their complete orchestral works too.  ;)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on January 14, 2020, 07:23:12 AM
Countless hours of pleasure awaiting for you. Good choice. Now, make sure to add Johann Strauss I and Josef Strauss, Naxos recorded their complete orchestral works too.  ;)

They did yes, but not neatly boxed up, so that can become quite an expense exercise. :) And more waltz luminaries are recorded by Naxos, too many of them...

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on January 14, 2020, 07:23:12 AM

It would be important to take them in correct doses. Whilst it's very pleasant music, it might become tiresome and a bit repetitive after some CDs. Just my opinion, of course.  :)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 14, 2020, 08:38:41 AM
It would be important to take them in correct doses. Whilst it's very pleasant music, it might become tiresome and a bit repetitive after some CDs. Just my opinion, of course.  :)

My usual practice with these sort of sets is to do a CD a day, or at most two, so it shouldn't be too wearing on the ear.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 14, 2020, 08:38:41 AM
Personally, never had a problem to listening this sort of music in any dose.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

San Antone

Quote from: JBS on January 14, 2020, 10:42:44 AM
My usual practice with these sort of sets is to do a CD a day, or at most two, so it shouldn't be too wearing on the ear.

Have you heard the chamber group transcriptions?  Schoenberg, Berg and Webern did some. 

And there is a CD of some of the more famous waltzes arranged for string quartet, quintet and sextet.

I find myself enjoying the smaller versions to the orchestral.

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 14, 2020, 10:56:44 AM
Personally, never had a problem to listening this sort of music in any dose.

+ 1.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on January 14, 2020, 11:01:43 AM
Have you heard the chamber group transcriptions?  Schoenberg, Berg and Webern did some. 

And there is a CD of some of the more famous waltzes arranged for string quartet, quintet and sextet.

I have some of them, somewhere (I forget which set they're in), and I have thes
[asin] B074R5RQ44[/asin]
[asin]B001AYAKT6[/asin]

Quote1. Symphonic metamorphosis of themes from Johann Strauss's 'Kunstlerleben'
  2. Fantasies (24) for Piano 'Walzermasken': no 2, Pastell
  3. Fantasies (24) for Piano 'Walzermasken': no 14, Französisch
  4. Fantasies (24) for Piano 'Walzermasken': no 22, Wienerisch
  5. Fantasies (24) for Piano 'Walzermasken': no 24, Portrait Johann Strauss
  6. Symphonic metamorphosis of themes from 'Die Fledermaus'
  7. Triakontameron: no 4, Rendezvous
  8. Triakontameron: no 11, Alt Wien
  9. Triakontameron: no 13, Terpsichorean Vindobona
  10. Triakontameron: no 21, The Salon
  11. Triakontameron: no 25, Erinnerungen
  12. Symphonic metamorphosis of Johann Strauss's 'Wein, Weib und Gesang' Waltzes
  13. Der letzte Walzer: Act I Waltz - Oscar Straus

Plus a whole group of the most recent VPO New Years Day concerts.  I'm waiting for Arkivmusic to ship me this year's incarnation.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on January 14, 2020, 11:01:43 AM

I like very much the arrangements for 2 violins, cello and double bass, which is actually the original guise in which many Johann Strauss I and Joseph Lanner works were performed.