Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: JBS on January 14, 2020, 10:42:44 AM
My usual practice with these sort of sets is to do a CD a day, or at most two, so it shouldn't be too wearing on the ear.

That sounds appropriate and comfortable for brain.

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 14, 2020, 10:56:44 AM
Personally, never had a problem to listening this sort of music in any dose.

In my case, too optimistic music playing over and over again can irritate me.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Quote from: JBS on January 13, 2020, 06:52:51 PM
Triggered by my earlier conversation on this thread with Harry

[asin]B004MGMIA8[/asin]

[It's been on my wishlist for several years. But I decided it was time to "fish or cut bait", to use the more delicate version of the saying.]

I have the Sony Stolz box and the two Kleiber New Year's concerts. I have been sorely tempted by that Naxos giant box, but on the other hand, I know how unlikely it is to ever be a major feature of my listening. I love Strauss but sample about one CD of his a month. That box would take a few months!

From streaming and my parents' incomplete collection of the original Marco Polo issues, I know the Peter Guth recordings are really killer - top rate.

Please do let me know what the package (sleeves/book) situation is like?

JBS

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2020, 06:41:32 PM
I have the Sony Stolz box and the two Kleiber New Year's concerts. I have been sorely tempted by that Naxos giant box, but on the other hand, I know how unlikely it is to ever be a major feature of my listening. I love Strauss but sample about one CD of his a month. That box would take a few months!

From streaming and my parents' incomplete collection of the original Marco Polo issues, I know the Peter Guth recordings are really killer - top rate.

52 CDs. At your rate, about 4 years!

I had it sent to an Amazon locker. Amazon alleges it will arrive on Monday.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ratliff

I have this release, and I think it will satisfy me for the foreseeable future. (I also have some inadvertently obtained recordings, in giant Karajan box sets, for example.)

JBS

Quote from: Ratliff on January 14, 2020, 07:11:43 PM
I have this release, and I think it will satisfy me for the foreseeable future. (I also have some inadvertently obtained recordings, in giant Karajan box sets, for example.)

Investigate the VPO New Years concerts for a sample of stuff that's not by Josef Strauss II!

[Tangentially, it's possibly a tribute to the quantity and quality of Strauss's music that this one purchase is raising so much discussion on this thread.]

Ratliff

Quote from: JBS on January 14, 2020, 07:19:12 PM
Investigate the VPO New Years concerts for a sample of stuff that's not by Josef Strauss II!

I've seen a number of the new years concerts on PBS over the years. I'll happily take Andre Rieu in these works. :)

Mirror Image

Can't believe I didn't have this recording in my Barber collection, but I rectified this instantly:

Harry

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2020, 06:41:32 PM

Hard paper covers, and a excellent thick book added. Will give you all info you need. I have listen to this set twice already.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vers la flamme

Promped by the Strauss talk in this thread (and that I have no music of the Strauss family in my library)...:

I paid $1.50. Free shipping. It sounded too good to be true for a 2CD, so we'll see what happens. But I had to go for it at that price.

steve ridgway

Boulez: Sur Incises; Messagesquisse; Anthèmes 2 and ..explosante-fixe...; Notations; Structures

Crumb: Makrokosmos Vol.1 & 2 and Zeitgeist/Music for a Summer Evening and Unto the Hills/Black Angels

[asin]B00004XPU4[/asin]

[asin]B0007404HI[/asin]

[asin]B0002W18OI[/asin]

[asin]B000059LY1[/asin]

[asin]B0000YTPRK[/asin]

Ratliff

Quote from: 2dogs on January 15, 2020, 06:12:28 AM
Boulez: Sur Incises; Messagesquisse; Anthèmes 2 and ..explosante-fixe...; Notations; Structures

I think of explosante-fixe as my favorite piece by Boulez so far.

JBS

Quote from: 2dogs on January 15, 2020, 06:12:28 AM

Crumb: Makrokosmos Vol.1 & 2 and Zeitgeist/Music for a Summer Evening and Unto the Hills/Black Angels

[asin]B00004XPU4[/asin]

Boulez at his best. I had the individual CD, but it's also in the DG "Complete Works" box. 

Ratliff

Quote from: JBS on January 15, 2020, 09:52:34 AM
Boulez at his best. I had the individual CD, but it's also in the DG "Complete Works" box.

Idle thoughts of getting the Complete Works box are moot, since it is out of print. Probably I have enough Boulez CDs to last me...

j winter

Laying in some additional Prokofiev for the winter, all for about the price of a decent lunch...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Ratliff

Quote from: j winter on January 15, 2020, 10:51:27 AM
Laying in some additional Prokofiev for the winter, all for about the price of a decent lunch...

This one is incredibly good, IMO.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ratliff on January 15, 2020, 11:49:58 AM

+1 My favorite cycle of Prokofiev's PCs.

j winter

Quote from: Ratliff on January 15, 2020, 11:49:58 AM

Good to hear!  Honestly I ordered this one on a lark -- Amazon has it for less than $5, so I thought it was worth a risk. 

I love the piano concertos; I've had the sets from Ashkenazy/Previn and Beroff for years, and thought it was time to expand the horizons a bit... :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

André

Recommended by experienced GMGers (you know who you are   ;):

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on January 15, 2020, 01:09:55 PM

Those concertos are very interesting indeed, but a feature I don't entirely like of them is the way some movements finish: simplistic and abrupt, above all abrupt.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 15, 2020, 01:09:55 PM

A fine set. I also like Malipiero's SQs. Check those out (if you haven't already).