Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2020, 07:07:01 PM
Hmmm... :-\

Thread duty -

Heavy applause for that one. You might want to get a second copy for your father.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on January 16, 2020, 08:02:19 PM
Heavy applause for that one. You might want to get a second copy for your father.

Not a bad idea, but he's not a fan of lieder. :)

Harry

Sometimes by accident you find musical treasures: This is one of them!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vers la flamme

Quote from: André on January 16, 2020, 10:16:04 AM

0.82$, new at Amazon. Couldn't resist !

Wow. I don't even know this music, but for $0.62 I couldn't resist either. Why are they going so cheap?! Anyway, I've been meaning to check out Britten's songs for piano and voice and this looks like an excellent introduction.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 17, 2020, 02:30:12 AM
Wow. I don't even know this music, but for $0.62 I couldn't resist either. Why are they going so cheap?! Anyway, I've been meaning to check out Britten's songs for piano and voice and this looks like an excellent introduction.

I'm not sure if these works are the best introductions to Britten's songs or not. Personally, I would have started with all of the folk song arrangements first and then move onto the Britten-penned songs. Also, you've got to hear Peter Pears in many of these songs. He is, after all, the preeminent tenor for Britten for obvious reasons. ;)

André

More Britten...

And some Bach

ritter

For purely sentimental and completist reasons (and because they could be had for a pittance):

Unless I'm mistaken, with these I'll have the complete Enesco series issued by the now defunct Olympia label. These recordings originally stem from Electrecord in Romania. The performances can be rough at moments, and the sound is only so-so, but they also display a certain enthusiasm which makes them endearing (to me at least).

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2020, 06:10:29 AM
I'm not sure if these works are the best introductions to Britten's songs or not. Personally, I would have started with all of the folk song arrangements first and then move onto the Britten-penned songs. Also, you've got to hear Peter Pears in many of these songs. He is, after all, the preeminent tenor for Britten for obvious reasons. ;)
I don't like Peter Pears' voice, though of course as a Britten interpreter no one will deny that he is authoritative. Sometimes I find it best to let price guide me into discovering new music. If I don't like it, I'm out a buck or two.

Mandryka

Pears' voice changed, he  became a bleating goat quite early in his career, I don't know why, but he made a handful of recordings before the strangeness set in. In addition to things by other composers, there are recordings of Britten's settings of John Donne and Michelangeli, and some folk songs arrangements, all made in 1947 -- the sound is rather good.  I think all the early recordings are worth seeking out. I'm taking them all to the desert island.  If anyone wants them they can PM me. 

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 17, 2020, 02:05:26 PM
I don't like Peter Pears' voice

He comes from  a time when there were some magnificent autodidact singers who made expressive and strange sounds. In addition to Pears, there's Karl Erb (who I love) and Hughes Cuénod (who personally I dislike enormously.) All worth checking out -- you never know how you'll react to the strangeness until you experience it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 17, 2020, 02:05:26 PM
I don't like Peter Pears' voice, though of course as a Britten interpreter no one will deny that he is authoritative. Sometimes I find it best to let price guide me into discovering new music. If I don't like it, I'm out a buck or two.

How could I possible quibble with someone wanting to get into Britten? :) Whatever helps you get into Britten's music. I guess I have a soft spot for Pears, because he was the first 'Britten vocalist' I heard and I was rather enchanted with his delivery and the way phrased the music. There have been many great Britten tenors through the years besides Pears: Robert Tear, Philip Langridge, Ian Bostridge, Mark Padmore, Anthony Rolfe Johnson, John Mark Ainsley, James Gilchrist, and several others. I hope you enjoy this recording and I hope this leads you to explore more of Britten's oeuvre.

Mirror Image

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: "Harry" on January 17, 2020, 01:19:12 AM
Sometimes by accident you find musical treasures: This is one of them!

Yes, a most enjoyable rarity.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Harry

Added a few CPO recordings to the rather large order I am sending out today, due to free shipping.

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on January 18, 2020, 01:24:16 AM
Added a few CPO recordings to the rather large order I am sending out today, due to free shipping.

I think the Losy is rather nice.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on January 18, 2020, 01:39:31 AM
I think the Losy is rather nice.

True, the samples sounded quite good, and the sound as such, is on a high level.

Florestan

Krug, Gernsheim, Aulin, all excellent choices.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2020, 02:44:48 AM

Thank you Andrei :)

The new erato

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2020, 02:44:48 AM
But still, Krug should be the champagne...... 😀

Harry

Quote from: The new erato on January 18, 2020, 04:03:09 AM
But still, Krug should be the champagne...... 😀

Good simile

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk