Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

No postage paid, JPC de. till the 16th.
Ordered.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

And these!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

A few more bits on the way...I think Ralph and I are, at last, having a bit of a thing going on... ;D

[asin]B00118DQX8[/asin]

[asin]B0000630UV[/asin]
[asin]B000027QWJ[/asin]
[asin]B00004YA0V[/asin]
[asin]B000000AMH[/asin]
[asin]B000005GHU[/asin]
[asin]B000026FBF[/asin]

Olivier

Mirror Image

Bought these late last night:

Amazon had a sale on the Pierrot Lunaire on the Bridge label for $6 + it was a part of Prime, so I jumped on it.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2020, 05:54:57 AM
Bought these late last night:

Amazon had a sale on the Pierrot Lunaire on the Bridge label for $6 + it was a part of Prime, so I jumped on it.
Those look great, John! Not too long ago, I was reminsiscing about Lucy Sherlton's recording of Fauré's La chanson d'Ève, whcih was my expsore to the work but has never AFAIK been transferred to CD.

The Schäfer / Boulez Pierrot lunaire is widely regarded as one of the great recordings of the work. I was lucky enough to see Frau Schäfer in Pierrot live here in Madrid some years ago, with Sylvain Cambreling conducting the Klangfroum Wien. The program  was right up your alley, I'd say: Schoenberg's arrangement of the Emperor-Waltz (which TBH I found much too long at the time),  the Stravinsky Japanese Lyrics, Ravel's Trois poémes de Stéphane Mallarmé and then, after the intremission, Pierrot Luniare. All pieces beautifully performed (including the interminable waltz), and a memorable occasion by all accounts.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on February 12, 2020, 06:27:31 AM
Those look great, John! Not too long ago, I was reminsiscing about Lucy Sherlton's recording of Fauré's La chanson d'Ève, whcih was my expsore to the work but has never AFAIK been transferred to CD.

The Schäfer / Boulez Pierrot lunaire is widely regarded as one of the great recordings of the work. I was lucky enough to see Frau Schäfer in Pierrot live here in Madrid some years ago, with Sylvain Cambreling conducting the Klangfroum Wien. The program  was right up your alley, I'd say: Schoenberg's arrangement of the Emperor-Waltz (which TBH I found much too long at the time),  the Stravinsky Japanese Lyrics, Ravel's Trois poémes de Stéphane Mallarmé and then, after the intremission, Pierrot Luniare. All pieces beautifully performed (including the interminable waltz), and a memorable occasion by all accounts.

Good day to you, Rafael. Wow! I bet that was an outstanding concert and, yes, that program was right up my alley, indeed. :) I would love to see something like this programmed where I live, but it seems this isn't going to happen (or isn't happening any time soon). It looks like I'll have to move to Europe to see some kind of concert like that. ;D

Mirror Image

Oh, I almost forget to add this recording to the purchases from above:

I bought this for around $6 via Amazon Marketplace. Not a bad deal.

Traverso

Quote from: ShineyMcShineShine on February 11, 2020, 04:13:48 PM
Does anyone own this box? I just purchased a used copy and it came without a printed booklet. Apparently there are two editions: a long box and a short box. I have the short one. It contains a CD titled "Booklet", so perhaps they dispensed with the printed booklet, but the box still has plenty of room for a booklet, so I suspect one is missing.

[asin]B00015T1MW[/asin]

I listened yesterday to some of the quartets from this set.

Ratliff

Quote from: ShineyMcShineShine on February 12, 2020, 02:55:21 AM
Thanks, good to know. I won't pursue a refund then. BTW momox has been selling these for $15. Mine got banged up in transit because the envelope they use is so thin, but if you don't mind taking a chance it's a good price.

I had the tall one with the booklet. I wish I could have traded it for the booklet on disc. :(

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 12, 2020, 03:16:18 AM
A few more bits on the way...I think Ralph and I are, at last, having a bit of a thing going on... ;D

[asin]B00118DQX8[/asin]

[asin]B0000630UV[/asin]
[asin]B000027QWJ[/asin]
[asin]B00004YA0V[/asin]
[asin]B000000AMH[/asin]
[asin]B000005GHU[/asin]
[asin]B000026FBF[/asin]
You'll enjoy the film, notwithstanding the completely inappropriate imagery which accompanies the Ninth Symphony in the documentary. There is another film as well 'The Passions of VW' which you might enjoy. The work by Lennox Berkeley which you must hear, if you don't already know it, is the Concerto for Two Pianos (Christo will agree)![audio][/audio]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Ippolitov-Ivanov (Piano transcriptions):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on February 12, 2020, 02:23:53 PM
You'll enjoy the film, notwithstanding the completely inappropriate imagery which accompanies the Ninth Symphony in the documentary. There is another film as well 'The Passions of VW' which you might enjoy. The work by Lennox Berkeley which you must hear, if you don't already know it, is the Concerto for Two Pianos (Christo will agree)![audio][/audio]

Morning Jeffrey,
I have been reading the whole Vaughan Williams thread from scratch (about a third in so far) and I posted back then that I had seen the documentary O Thou Transcendent on the BBC at the time and enjoyed it even though I knew nothing of RVW then. I guess I will appreciate it even more now that I am more familiar with him and his music. Running through the collectors edition boxset is immensely rewarding right now. I can't wait to have those symphonies CD's now. These were picked from multiple recommendations of members in that thread...once you sieve through the 2008 "Wind Machine kerfuffle"  that is  ;D

As for Berkeley, I remember liking some of the tracks of that CD, so when a very cheap used copy popped up I had to snap it. Would have been rude not to. I did sample the concerto for 2 pianos but that didn't click for me. On the backburner it is.
Olivier

ShineyMcShineShine

Quote from: Ratliff on February 12, 2020, 08:44:24 AM
I had the tall one with the booklet. I wish I could have traded it for the booklet on disc. :(

Really? Why? When I look at booklets at all it's while I'm listening to CDs, so a booklet I have to view on a computer is pretty useless to me.

André

Quote from: ShineyMcShineShine on February 13, 2020, 05:31:58 AM
Really? Why? When I look at booklets at all it's while I'm listening to CDs, so a booklet I have to view on a computer is pretty useless to me.

Same here. Those 'booklet CDs' are a real bummer  ;D

André

TD

I don't need another Brahms second concerto, although Rösel is a very fine pianist. But discovering an important Estonian composer was an irresistible incentive.

I have a few items by Domeniconi, but it's the Genzmer concerto I really want to hear. How the producers could misspell his name on the cover is beyond stupid, though  ::)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on February 13, 2020, 05:53:57 AM
TD

I don't need another Brahms second concerto, although Rösel is a very fine pianist. But discovering an important Estonian composer was an irresistible incentive.

Never heard of Raats so this looked intriguing.  Had a quick look on Amazon - only one review of this disc..... in Japanese..... Never Fear... the trusty "Amazon translate" button is at hand...........

"Sparkles like Angelish and Huff, and exciting performances are the opposite of local unwind. I think this kind of performance is also an Ali, but it is not just a legend, it is a testament to Berg's ability to appeal to the listener.  Rats Symphony No. 5 is a work he composed in 1932, and the sound, progress, and sound type of the image that general classical fans have in contemporary music. It will come out. It also incorporates jazz-elements, everything was like ants in a coquette, so I didn't feel more painful than Webern."

Not sure I'm any the wiser but perhaps once you've heard it you can report back as to whether it is indeed like ants in a coquette.......?  In eager anticipation...........

André

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 13, 2020, 08:25:39 AM
Never heard of Raats so this looked intriguing.  Had a quick look on Amazon - only one review of this disc..... in Japanese..... Never Fear... the trusty "Amazon translate" button is at hand...........

"Sparkles like Angelish and Huff, and exciting performances are the opposite of local unwind. I think this kind of performance is also an Ali, but it is not just a legend, it is a testament to Berg's ability to appeal to the listener.  Rats Symphony No. 5 is a work he composed in 1932, and the sound, progress, and sound type of the image that general classical fans have in contemporary music. It will come out. It also incorporates jazz-elements, everything was like ants in a coquette, so I didn't feel more painful than Webern."

Not sure I'm any the wiser but perhaps once you've heard it you can report back as to whether it is indeed like ants in a coquette.......?  In eager anticipation...........

:laugh:

I saw that japanese language review but didn't use the translation option. I guess we are none the wiser and the suspense is intact. I did read the wiki entry on Rääts though.

I will definitely report on it  ;).

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 13, 2020, 01:31:45 AM
Morning Jeffrey,
I have been reading the whole Vaughan Williams thread from scratch (about a third in so far) and I posted back then that I had seen the documentary O Thou Transcendent on the BBC at the time and enjoyed it even though I knew nothing of RVW then. I guess I will appreciate it even more now that I am more familiar with him and his music. Running through the collectors edition boxset is immensely rewarding right now. I can't wait to have those symphonies CD's now. These were picked from multiple recommendations of members in that thread...once you sieve through the 2008 "Wind Machine kerfuffle"  that is  ;D

As for Berkeley, I remember liking some of the tracks of that CD, so when a very cheap used copy popped up I had to snap it. Would have been rude not to. I did sample the concerto for 2 pianos but that didn't click for me. On the backburner it is.
Good afternoon Olivier.
Ah yes, I remember 'The Great Wind-Machine Debate'. Try the slow movement of the Berkeley which I think is the highpoint of the double Piano Concerto. I found it fascinating, on the documentary, to see film footage of VW at the start. First time I had seen any of him.

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on February 12, 2020, 03:09:22 AM
No postage paid, JPC de. till the 16th.
Ordered.
Don't know any of these Harry but looks like a great selection. However, a big thumbs up from me for both volumes of the British Tone Poems on Chandos.

I wonder if you know this CD? It's worth having for the marvellous Foulds Cello Sonata. I know that you admire some of his orchestral music:

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on February 13, 2020, 05:53:57 AM
TD

So, you shouldn't avoid this either:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky