Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 13, 2020, 11:22:58 AM
So, you shouldn't avoid this either:

I saw that as well, had to make a choice and the price decided for me: 3.69$ vs 12.83$  ;)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on February 13, 2020, 11:44:35 AM
I saw that as well, had to make a choice and the price decided for me: 3.69$ vs 12.83$  ;)

I can't discuss that reason!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Alek Hidell

Quote from: André on February 13, 2020, 05:53:57 AM

I have a few items by Domeniconi, but it's the Genzmer concerto I really want to hear. How the producers could misspell his name on the cover is beyond stupid, though  ::)

They were probably distracted by her legs. :D

It reminds me of a Haydn album (I can't remember which one, but I recall that it was on a respectable label, not one of those cheapo "Best Of" discs) upon the cover of which the composer's name was boldly announced as "HADYN."
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

steve ridgway

Quote from: Alek Hidell on February 13, 2020, 06:20:59 PM
They were probably distracted by her legs. :D

It reminds me of a Haydn album (I can't remember which one, but I recall that it was on a respectable label, not one of those cheapo "Best Of" discs) upon the cover of which the composer's name was boldly announced as "HADYN."

Amazon.com shows 4 pages of results for Hadyn although only one CD actually has that on the cover. Misspellings in the listings can though be a way of finding bargains others have missed. I once got an antique book on the Moon like that.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 13, 2020, 11:22:58 AM
So, you shouldn't avoid this either:

What's the Raats 8th Symphony like Cesar? (Or anyone else).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2020, 06:59:33 AM
Oh, I almost forget to add this recording to the purchases from above:

I bought this for around $6 via Amazon Marketplace. Not a bad deal.

Ah, I've been wanting to get this disc. The opera is crazy. Schoenberg putting on his best Weill impression while not-so-subtly deriding his colleagues with the plot ;D

Madiel

Quote from: ShineyMcShineShine on February 13, 2020, 05:31:58 AM
Really? Why? When I look at booklets at all it's while I'm listening to CDs, so a booklet I have to view on a computer is pretty useless to me.

Print it / get it printed. I don't reach for the CD-ROM, I reach for the printout.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 14, 2020, 02:55:00 AM
Ah, I've been wanting to get this disc. The opera is crazy. Schoenberg putting on his best Weill impression while not-so-subtly deriding his colleagues with the plot ;D

I've heard a little of it before (probably on YouTube or something) and thought it sounded pretty cool.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on February 13, 2020, 09:48:16 PM
What's the Rääts 8th Symphony like Cesar? (Or anyone else).

Very much like coming after his Sixth from 1967 and also Symphony No. 7 five years later, yet separated from them by almost two decades & much turmoil in the (still) Soviet-occupied nations.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

I have all the other symphonies (1, 3, 4 and 5). Don't listen to them often but whenever I do, I enjoy them a lot.

Traverso

There are things that you miss (unavoidable), this was one of them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on February 15, 2020, 06:19:14 AM
There are things that you miss (unavoidable), this was one of them.

8)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on February 13, 2020, 09:48:16 PM
What's the Raats 8th Symphony like Cesar? (Or anyone else).

I don't own any of those Räät's CDs, Jeffrey. Sorry for not being helpful.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

aligreto

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 15, 2020, 09:53:14 AM

There is a challenge in itself  ;D

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 15, 2020, 09:53:14 AM

Rats !

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Christo

Quote from: André on February 15, 2020, 11:08:26 AM
Rä[ä]ts !
Settles it all. #forever
Quote from: Christo on February 14, 2020, 09:17:54 AM
Very much like coming after his Sixth from 1967 and also Symphony No. 7 five years later, yet separated from them by almost two decades & much turmoil in the (still) Soviet-occupied nations.

Never heard any of his symphonies yet though.  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ritter

The Bongiovanni label will be known to any lover of (mainly Italian) historic opera recordings, and off the beaten track repertoire. From their tiny shop in Bologna, I got these:

[asin]B000025AYI[/asin]
Carlo Coccia's belcanto opera Caterina di Guisa apparently was a runaway success when first performed at La Scala in 1833, but since then both the opera and its composer have lapsed into oblivion. I'm always interested in byways of the Italian operatic repertoire between the retirement of Rossini and the (IMHO mostly nefarious) irruption of Verdi in the scene.

I may not be that keen on Verdi in general, but consider Falstaff one of the great operas ever composed (I'm actually seeing it live tomorrow afternoon in Modena). I have the later Toscanini NBC recording in my collection, as well as Mariano Stabile in a live recording under Victor de Sabata, but this 1937 Salzburg performance (which I'm afraid will have dismal sound) has legendary status.

Mascagni's L'amico Fritz is a guilty pleasure of mine (particularly the second act). Having this delightful opera with the voices of Cesare Valletti and Rosanna Carteri, under the baton of the great Vittorio Gui I was a no-brainer for me (again, the sound won't be that good, but well).

I didn't even know this recording existed. Having the underrated Bruno Canino perform the piano music of Casella, one of my favourite 20th century Italian composers, was another no-brainier.

André

A beautiful work. I've had it as a download for some years, but that's not good enough. Make room for the real thing!

André

Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2020, 12:08:49 PM
Settles it all. #forever
Never heard any of his symphonies yet though.  ???

You didn't get the joke, did you?   :-\