Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Folks, I'm sorry to say it but --- in the current circumstances when we are all urged to stay home as much as possible if it's not an essential business, it's a little, how to put it, a little *strange* to act in such a way as to make some people get out of their homes to work in the non-essential chain of delivering CD orders. Sorry again, no offense meant to anyone but I just had to say it.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2020, 08:43:45 AM
Folks, I'm sorry to say it but --- in the current circumstances when we are all urged to stay home as much as possible if it's not an essential business, it's a little, how to put it, a little *strange* to act in such a way as to make some people get out of their homes to work in the non-essential chain of delivering CD orders. Sorry again, no offense meant to anyone but I just had to say it.

I am refraining from purchases because I expect to be among the money crunched, but do remember vendors need orders to stay in business and pay their employees.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

If a job allows for social distancing, I don't see the problem of keeping it going. 

flyingdutchman

So, do you expect all mail services to cease?

Madiel

They're not "delivering CD orders". They're delivering mail. I doubt it matters enormously to them what's in the packages.

And it's a job that's unusually well-suited to carrying on in the same way as before.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

André

One of the best belgian composers of the last century.

Will replace the defective disc from the Carus set  :-[.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on March 25, 2020, 12:34:59 PM
If a job allows for social distancing, I don't see the problem of keeping it going.
+1
Also I gather that the virus does not survive for very long on cardboard compared to plastic for example.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Beautiful painting by Puvis de Chavannes. Détails of the work/composer on the back:

Spineur

I finally got Reynaldo Hahn complete mélodies.  I hesitated for a long time as I already had  several recordings, but this is a complete set and I find Tassis Christoyannis velvet voice hard to resist.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Spineur on March 30, 2020, 08:12:25 AM
I finally got Reynaldo Hahn complete mélodies.  I hesitated for a long time as I already had  several recordings, but this is a complete set and I find Tassis Christoyannis velvet voice hard to resist.

Congratulations! That must certainly be a nice item to include in one's collection, there's a lot of cultural history inherent in those songs too, I think; I've only got an old Hyperion LP with Martyn Hill/Johnson, and some further melodies on a CD with Guilmette/Bardin, on the Fortis label. Plus a fair sample of instrumental music.

Spineur

Last year, The remastered radio recording of Wilhelm Furtwangler have been edited by the Berlin Philharmoniker.

This box is a bit pricey for what it is, but it contains some rare pieces.  The box opens with the 1h30 Furtwangler symphonic concerto played by Edwin Fisher.  Another rare symphony is the 2nd by Ernst Pepping.  Ernst Pepping and Furtwangler was a contemporary friend of Furtwangler.  To explore this composer further I ordered these CDs

His Lieder cycle "Heute un Ewig" after Goethe poems

and CPO edition of his 3 symphonies

ritter

Quote from: Spineur on March 30, 2020, 08:12:25 AM

It's a great set, Spineur. Congatulations! And yes, Christoyannis is a great singer, very suited to this music (apparently he's a very versatile artist, who shines in other repertoires as well).

The only caveat is that some songs within cycles are omitted when they require additional voices (e.g. some of the the Études latines), or the (presumably ad libitum) other voices in the last number of Venezia are not used, turning this a work for solo voice. Still, it is a first rate collection of the mélodies pour voix seule, and a major addition to the discography.

Enjoy!

vers la flamme

Arrived today:

A used copy, in great condition. I won it in an auction, but I paid a lot more than I'd been hoping to. Excited to explore it, a lot of this music is completely unknown to me.

André

An excellent flemish composer.

Jando's first recording of the Bartók cycle, from 1993.

steve ridgway

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 30, 2020, 01:00:04 PM
Arrived today:

A used copy, in great condition. I won it in an auction, but I paid a lot more than I'd been hoping to. Excited to explore it, a lot of this music is completely unknown to me.

This really opened my eyes ears to the more experimental, avant-garde field of classical music. It's very varied so you should find something you like 8).

Roasted Swan

A very slight silver lining to this whole isolating business is that it is encouraging me to 1) spend a lot less on new discs because its an expense I can control/minimise and b) listen properly to so many discs previously bought that I have cursorily explored.

Whether or not these new habits will last once 'normal service is resumed' waits to be seen.  I'd like to think it will.

vers la flamme

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 30, 2020, 08:44:23 PM
This really opened my eyes ears to the more experimental, avant-garde field of classical music. It's very varied so you should find something you like 8).

So far, so good! I've been enjoying the Boulez, the Takemitsu, the Ives (fascinating hearing the composer's own recordings), but finding certain things like the Crumb to be more challenging. Just been sampling the first five discs of the set thus far.

steve ridgway

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 31, 2020, 04:50:48 AM
So far, so good! I've been enjoying the Boulez, the Takemitsu, the Ives (fascinating hearing the composer's own recordings), but finding certain things like the Crumb to be more challenging. Just been sampling the first five discs of the set thus far.

A whole CD of some of this stuff can be a bit much, you may pick out a few works you feel might grow on you and just revisit those initially. Crumb also has an unusual Lux Aeterna on CD 8 that I rather like.

aligreto

I had ordered this 2 CD set before the great man died but, due to current global circumstances, it has only just arrived.

Harry

What else is there to do in these terrible times than to order comfort, which I did.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."