Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

There is a massive sale of Tactus CD'S on JPC de, 3,99€ a piece which is next to nothing.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Part II

Harry

Part III

Harry

Part IV

Harry

Part V

Harry

Part VI

Harry

Part VI

That concludes my order

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I know, and love, the Barber, Diamond and Carter works, but the Irving Fine work will be new for me (I think --- my mind could be deceiving me).

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2020, 02:11:25 PM
Just bought:

I know, and love, the Barber, Diamond and Carter works, but the Irving Fine work will be new for me (I think --- my mind could be deceiving me).

Serious Song is a moving work, I think you'll like it. Fine wrote concisely, his works are quite short in duration but very eloquent. If you can find it, his Symphony from 1962 is a minor masterpiece. Fine never tried to make statements, therefore his output has not really attracted attention.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on June 06, 2020, 03:34:59 PM
Serious Song is a moving work, I think you'll like it. Fine wrote concisely, his works are quite short in duration but very eloquent. If you can find it, his Symphony from 1962 is a minor masterpiece. Fine never tried to make statements, therefore his output has not really attracted attention.

Cool, Andre. Now that I think about it, I do own this:

André

That's great, John! Blue Towers is one ear worm that always puts a smile on my face. That's a great set.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on June 06, 2020, 04:26:32 PM
That's great, John! Blue Towers is one ear worm that always puts a smile on my face. That's a great set.

Thanks, Andre. I'll have to see if I can dig this recording out.

ritter

Some odds and ends from amazon (at dirt cheap prices):

[asin]B00004UXQX[/asin]I remember discussing this CD with André last summer. I'm ambivalent about Caplet, but don't know any of his original orchestral works, and am eager to explore them. The orchestrations of Debussy pieces on this CD I already know from other recordings.

[asin]B07C5K7QKP[/asin]Pjme's recent comment on Messager's delightful Fortunio made me seek other works by that composer. Although not credited on the CD cover, this 1892 ballet-pantomime is actually a collaborative effort with the hitherto unknown to me Georges Street, a Franco-German composer, who may or may not have been an illegitimate son of Franz Liszt, according to some rumours, and whose mother's maiden name was Klindworth--I wonder if she was somehow related to Winifred Wagner). Be it as it may, the snippets sounded lovely.

[asin]B018SIQWAW[/asin]The Martin, Jongen and Pierné pieces on this CD will be new to me. Oxalys usually excels in this repertoire.

[asin]B079PTH8TP[/asin]I've always been intrigued by Lalo's Le roi d'Ys (the subject matter of which is AFAIK vaguely related to Debussy's La cathédrale engloutie prelude), but never got round to purchase a recording until now. Having André Cluytens conducting a roster of distinguished French (and Belgian) singers of the 50s, who must dominate the style perfectly, adds to the allure of this recording.

André

Hello Rafael! Yes, that Caplet/debussy disc is very nice, although not really essential - except if you are really curious about the byways of the french music scene (I am  :)).

The program by Oxalys is delightful. I think a few others have enjoyed it a lot iirc.

TD. Today's haul:

The Eroica Variations, Haydn's F minor set ans Schumann's Études symphoniques

One of my favourite countertenors. Arias and scenas from rare Rossini operas.

A composer entirely new to me. This disc made the Musicweb list of best records of the year in 2018.

Mirror Image

Bought a few nights ago, but forgot to post:

All of the performances on these two discs are first-time releases on CD, so that prospect alone made it rather enticing. Also the idea of Rozhdestvensky in the 5th symphony makes me grin ear to ear.

ritter

Quote from: André on June 08, 2020, 08:37:17 AM
Hello Rafael! Yes, that Caplet/debussy disc is very nice, although not really essential - except if you are really curious about the byways of the french music scene (I am  :)).

The program by Oxalys is delightful. I think a few others have enjoyed it a lot iirc.
Despite if what I said in the thread started by Florestan  ;), I too still explore the byways of the 20th century French music scene (one of my main areas of interest).

TD. Today's haul:

An uncle of mine, who was a great fan of Joan Sutherland, had the privilege of seeing her live in Esclarmonde in San Francisco in the seventies. He wouldn't tire of telling the story of.....how he fell sound asleep during the performance.  ;D

André

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on June 08, 2020, 08:37:17 AM

A composer entirely new to me. This disc made the Musicweb list of best records of the year in 2018.

I suspect you'll enjoy this composer, André. Last year I heard one of those symphonies and I can say it drew my attention because of its intensity, relentless nature and unmistakable Nordic tinge (I think it was the Sinfonia Dolorosa).

There are other CDs devoted to his music:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Just bought on the recommendation of Cesar (SymphonicAddict), but not this particular set:

I like the Quatuor Molinari and own their Schnittke set, so I'm rather looking forward to diving into this set.

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 08, 2020, 10:06:14 AM
I suspect you'll enjoy this composer, André. Last year I heard one of those symphonies and I can say it drew my attention because of its intensity, relentless nature and unmistakable Nordic tinge (I think it was the Sinfonia Dolorosa).

There are other CDs devoted to his music:

God to hear, Cesar ! I sampled bits here and there, and decided to give the composer a try, starting with this one which was lauded on Musicweb. If I like it, I'll investigate further. Great suggestion of discs, thanks !