Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 08, 2020, 12:30:01 PM
Just bought on the recommendation of Cesar (SymphonicAddict), but not this particular set:

I like the Quatuor Molinari and own their Schnittke set, so I'm rather looking forward to diving into this set.

Cool, John. I heard those quartets on this CD:

Surely your choice will be as good or better than mine.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 08, 2020, 03:23:23 PM
Cool, John. I heard those quartets on this CD:

Surely your choice will be as good or better than mine.

I hope so, Cesar. I was going to buy that Supraphon recording until I saw the extra works that came with this Molinari set.

Mirror Image

Decided to expand my Ben-Haim collection:

I already own the excellent CPO release of Symphony No. 1 and I believe that's all I owned of Ben-Haim in my collection before buying the recordings posted above.

vandermolen

Thanks to Daverz for alerting me to this one:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

T. D.

Yesterday ordered another Diamond SQ disc:

That will leave me lacking only Volume 1 of the series, which (physical CD) seems completely unavailable at the moment.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on June 09, 2020, 10:32:41 AM
Yesterday ordered another Diamond SQ disc:

That will leave me lacking only Volume 1 of the series, which (physical CD) seems completely unavailable at the moment.

8) Yes, the first volume isn't available as I tried to order through Albany Records' website to no avail. I ended up contacted them telling them to cancel the order since they obviously don't have it. Poor customer service on their end. They need to update their website as it shows that it can be ordered through them. Anyway, I had to buy it as download. :(

Mirror Image

Just bought for an excellent price:

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2020, 11:37:26 AM
Just bought for an excellent price:

I think you'll enjoy that John - I bought it a few months ago. Thought-provoking and largely approachable music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2020, 11:15:03 AM
8) Yes, the first volume isn't available as I tried to order through Albany Records' website to no avail. I ended up contacted them telling them to cancel the order since they obviously don't have it. Poor customer service on their end. They need to update their website as it shows that it can be ordered through them. Anyway, I had to buy it as download. :(

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that Diamond Complete SQ vol 1 showed on the Albany Records site, but I assumed it was an error and didn't investigate further.
I had purchased vol. 4 from BRO. BRO's business address is now the same as Albany Records, so I figured if CDs existed they'd have been routed through BRO or released to other vendors.
The CD business seems to be in a death spiral and I don't necessarily expect small labels to have accurate websites.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 09, 2020, 01:06:03 PM
I think you'll enjoy that John - I bought it a few months ago. Thought-provoking and largely approachable music.

Thanks, Jeffrey. I was reminded of the Cello Concerto thanks in large part to a recent post from Cesar. He kind of jogged my memory banks and I thought, "Wait a minute, I haven't heard nor own that recording."

Daverz

Verdi: Otello, a live Karajan recording from 1971, based on a recommendation from Ralph Moore at Musicweb

[asin]B000056PGF[/asin]

(Note that -- typical of Amazon -- the reviews there are for different recordings.)

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/Ralph_Moore.htm

Let's hope USPS doesn't lose this one...

Harry

Yay, 22 tactus cd's arrived today, I so look forward to all this unknown music :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

MusicTurner

Having checked a lot of MP3 samples from the long series of Tactus sales at JPC, I decided for

- Corelli, 12 Concerti op.6/Sardelli, 2CD. Seems very well played, and sometimes supplements, unusually I think, with a heavy dose of wind instruments. They're the only Corelli I tend to listen to, and my other CD version, the one in the Brilliant Complete Works, seems less interesting; I also have the fine Marriner/Argo 3LP set.

- Kuhlau, works for solo flute. Seems well played & I didn't have those works. An underrated, attractive and even 'deep' composer, IMHO.

- Guardigrele Codex, 14th Century/Giacintucci. Seems very attractive, a mixture of vocal and instrumental music.

I was also tempted by the 3CD set of Riccardo Zandonai chamber works etc., but abstained.

Also bought the Roussel Edition 11CD, since a lot of my Roussel is on LPs; some Panufnik/CPO; Weingartner Piano6 & Piano7/CPO; Braunfels, 'Phantastische Erscheinungen" for orchestra/CPO, and Pehr Henrik Nordgren, Symphony no.1 & Clarinet Concerto (the last-mentioned one at 7.99 Euros).

71 dB

More Einar Englund...

Piano Quintet / String Quartet - Sinfonia Lahti Chamber Ensemble / Peter Lönnqvist - BIS

[asin]B00066K0J4[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

ritter

Ordered from jpc:

Inevitably (hat tip to JBS  ;)); for the Krenek, the Dallapiccola, and several composers who'll be completely new to me.

For the Verlaine songs. I want to listen to this music in what I hope are good performances (the snippets indicate that it'll be the case  :)). The complete traversal of Vierné's songs on the Roddard label, which I bought not too long ago, is unacceptably poor in terms of performance (the singing is downright awful). 

This disc includes Poulenc's complete incidental music for Jean Anouilh's Léocadia, a play I plan to read soon. The "complete" Poulenc set one EMI (now Erato) only includes the song Les chemins de l'amour (in which Jessye Norman excelled) from the incidental music. The incidental music for Anoulih's L'invitation au château does appear on the EMI set.  Coincidentally, I just found out that Milhaud's Suite for violin, clarinet and piano, op. 157b (which I recently enjoyed), stems from his incidental music to yet another Anouilh play, Le voyageur sans bagage.

JBS

Quote from: ritter on June 11, 2020, 01:16:11 PM
Ordered from jpc:

Inevitably (hat tip to JBS  ;)); for the Krenek, the Dallapiccola, and several composers who'll be completely new to me.

:)
It's a rewarding set even for someone like me who isn't much into music of that time.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on June 09, 2020, 01:07:59 PM
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that Diamond Complete SQ vol 1 showed on the Albany Records site, but I assumed it was an error and didn't investigate further.
I had purchased vol. 4 from BRO. BRO's business address is now the same as Albany Records, so I figured if CDs existed they'd have been routed through BRO or released to other vendors.
The CD business seems to be in a death spiral and I don't necessarily expect small labels to have accurate websites.

Hmmm...most interesting, indeed. This would explain why I didn't receive any notification that the CD had been shipped. I still think Albany Records should've contacted me about the CD being out-of-stock. I shouldn't have had to contact them about it. Anyway, it's water under the bridge now.

Undersea

Most recent buys:

[asin]B078YDVZMW[/asin]

[asin]B000003J73[/asin]

Not pictured - Gorecki: Symphony #3 (Aust. Eloquence)

TheGSMoeller

Both have already arrived, and both are lovely.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 11, 2020, 05:52:37 PM
Both have already arrived, and both are lovely.

Very nice, Greg. You can't go wrong with Segerstam in Sibelius.