Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 06, 2020, 05:10:13 PM
An excellent cycle, but I'm glad I got to get a copy of the prior incarnation before it inevitably goes out of print to make room for this new, bare-bones one. But that new set does have the advantage of Das Lied von der Erde over the one I have.

By the way... BBC Symphony Orchestra? Is that a misprint? I'm not aware of any Bernstein/BBC Mahler on Sony.

I went with this reissue because my dad already owns the one you're talking about. I own this older one as well:

I also own Bernstein's DG Mahler set, which is one of those sets I'd take to the desert island with me:

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2020, 05:52:15 PMI also own Bernstein's DG Mahler set, which is one of those sets I'd take to the desert island with me:

Mahler looks suspicious of Bernstein there...it's been a while since I've heard any of the Bernstein DG Mahler set.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mahlerian on July 06, 2020, 06:05:07 PM
Mahler looks suspicious of Bernstein there...it's been a while since I've heard any of the Bernstein DG Mahler set.

Hah..well if you look close enough, you'll see that Mahler isn't even looking at Bernstein. I remember reading some your criticism of Bernstein's Mahler, but I don't really care what anyone says about these recordings. He has been the only conductor that made me understand this music on a deeper emotional level and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2020, 06:15:05 PM
Hah..well if you look close enough, you'll see that Mahler isn't even looking at Bernstein. I remember reading some your criticism of Bernstein's Mahler, but I don't really care what anyone says about these recordings. He has been the only conductor that made me understand this music on a deeper emotional level and for that I'm eternally grateful.

I don't dislike Bernstein's Mahler recordings the way I do those of certain other Mahler conductors, and I appreciate his role in the US Mahler revival of the 60s and 70s. I remember really loving that DG Vienna Sixth when I listened to it a lot; I just haven't heard it in a while.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mahlerian on July 06, 2020, 06:21:59 PM
I don't dislike Bernstein's Mahler recordings the way I do those of certain other Mahler conductors, and I appreciate his role in the US Mahler revival of the 60s and 70s. I remember really loving that DG Vienna Sixth when I listened to it a lot; I just haven't heard it in a while.

Well, that's very good to read, Mahlerian. Who are some Mahler conductors you don't particular care for?

Jo498

Mravinsky DG stereo is a unique identification. It was re-issued as a twofer. It has a blue-green cover. The somewhat older mono recordings have the 4th cond. by Sanderling. It has columns on the cover. The LPs of the former apparently came in a bunch of different covers.

[asin]B000E0W24S[/asin] [asin]B000001GQG[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on July 07, 2020, 12:59:27 AM
Mravinsky DG stereo is a unique identification. It was re-issued as a twofer. It has a blue-green cover. The somewhat older mono recordings have the 4th cond. by Sanderling. It has columns on the cover. The LPs of the former apparently came in a bunch of different covers.

[asin]B000E0W24S[/asin] [asin]B000001GQG[/asin]
Both great sets.

Today: 'Babi Yar'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

A small order as my purchasing is dwindling and I try to focus on things I don't own and represents things I have a particular interest in:

aligreto

Frank Corcoran: Mad Sweeney's Shadow

A purchase is a rare thing for me these days. I am trying hard to cull my collection somewhat. This one is to fill a gap in my modern Irish collection.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2020, 06:37:15 PM
Well, that's very good to read, Mahlerian. Who are some Mahler conductors you don't particular care for?

I don't think very highly of Rattle or Ozawa in Mahler, but my real bugbear, as people here know, is Karajan.

Daverz

Quote from: Mahlerian on July 07, 2020, 06:27:05 AM
I don't think very highly of Rattle or Ozawa in Mahler, but my real bugbear, as people here know, is Karajan.

I just got Ozawa's Mahler 2 with the Saito Kinen Orchestra.  It's very good.

[asin]B000054OXK[/asin]

Mahlerian

Quote from: Daverz on July 07, 2020, 08:50:54 AM
I just got Ozawa's Mahler 2 with the Saito Kinen Orchestra.  It's very good.

[asin]B000054OXK[/asin]

He may have improved a lot over his early BSO recordings, then. I'd be happy to change my mind. I saw Ozawa conduct a program of Berlioz and Messiaen about 15 years ago that I enjoyed a lot.

Mirror Image

Que

Morning listening:

[asin]B007762J9A[/asin]

A cute recording. :)
Perfect for a rainy morning in Summer....

Quote"17th century music from the Spanish territories" covers a broad expanse of land, indeed. The Spanish empire of the senior Habsburg line reached the apogee of its military expansion at that time, before inevitably collapsing under the weight of rebellion, wars with foreign powers, and financial ruin. The Low Countries and sections of Italy, especially Naples, were then territories of the Spanish crown, so the inclusion of 11 selections by the Neapolitan Andrea Falconieri, and a pair of works by the Dutch Sweelinck and Eyck, is not surprising. The album's scope is expanded still further through works that are based on Spanish themes (Pieter de Vois's Pavane de Spanje, Corbetta's Follie, Storace's Follia), and Pavaniglia by Girolamo Montesardo—because the piece was part of an instruction book on playing the Spanish guitar. That's more than a bit of a reach, but the music is catchy, immediately accessible, and expressively varied.

Cordevento is a three-person ensemble. Erik Bosgraaf does the honors on soprano, alto and tenor recorders; Izhar Elias performs on both four- and five-course guitars; and Alessandro Pianu can be heard on a positive organ and harpsichord. If that's not enough textural variety, each of the three also has solos. Technically, they are proficient, and Bosgraaf in particular displays a propensity for perfectly even, cleanly articulated runs at fearsome tempos. This leads to my one complaint of the album. While there's much pleasure to be derived from this treatment in such pieces as Falconieri's Corriente dicha "la Mota" and Brando dicho "el Melo," there's something to be said for a slightly slower speed that permits the creative use of stylistically appropriate ornamentation. It's not a major point in an album that brings such casual pleasure, however. With clear, well-balanced sound, this is a fine introduction to some of the lighter musical aspects of the period. It wasn't all Victoria and Tallis! Recommended.

-- Barry Brenesal, FANFARE [3/2013]

TheGSMoeller

Mirror Image

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 09, 2020, 02:08:39 PM
Woohoo

Indeed, Jeffrey. Yeah, I can't believe I found the original set for a decent price. Unlike the reissue on Melodiya, this set includes all of the other works Rozhdestvensky conducted. I find it strange that Melodiya didn't include these works in their more recent reissue of his Glazunov cycle.

Daverz

Panufnik: complete symphonic works

[asin]B0788XV9WD[/asin]

From JPC for a very good price, 8 CDs for under 35 Euro without VAT and 3.80 Euro shipping.  We'll see how long it takes to get to the US West coast.

Daverz

Quote from: Mahlerian on July 07, 2020, 09:17:13 AM
He may have improved a lot over his early BSO recordings, then. I'd be happy to change my mind. I saw Ozawa conduct a program of Berlioz and Messiaen about 15 years ago that I enjoyed a lot.

I've read that Ozawa would conduct electrifying Mahler concerts with the BSO but the followup recordings were always pale representations.  The Saito Kinen recording is live, though with a very quiet audience and very well recorded.