Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 22, 2020, 03:39:37 PM
Stocked up on some recent Saint-Saëns orchestral recordings:

I thought Saint-Saëns was too conservative for your tastes, John. He's my favorite French composer.

I remember that violinist playing Dvorak's Violin Concerto live. Needless to say I was very impressed.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 22, 2020, 03:49:05 PM
I thought Saint-Saëns was too conservative for your tastes, John. He's my favorite French composer.

I remember that violinist playing Dvorak's Violin Concerto live. Needless to say I was very impressed.

Too conservative? Nonsense! I've always loved Saint-Saëns from the first-time I heard his music. I find so much of his music whimsically charming, but he's also not afraid to show a more serious side. One reason for purchasing the Hyperion discs is I just needed better recordings of the symphonies (other than the 3rd which is already well-represented in my collection). I also needed more recordings of the string concerti which I, regrettably, haven't given much attention to. I have a good bit of his chamber music on Hyperion, so I'll have to dig those recordings back out.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on July 22, 2020, 03:57:58 PM

A big thumbs up for the Sviridov. The Snowstorm is a magical score.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 22, 2020, 04:05:32 PM
A big thumbs up for the Sviridov. The Snowstorm is a magical score.

+1

André

Good ! Reveille from Pushkin's Garland is a favourite. I don't know Snowstorm.

kyjo

Quote from: JBS on July 18, 2020, 03:34:42 PM
This one is brought to yoy by the letter B.
Bax

Bliss

Rubbra (well he's British, so that counts  as a B)

Boulez and others

Some excellent choices there, Jeffrey! 8)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: springrite on July 18, 2020, 05:44:37 AM
Oh what joy (not to mention irony) to see the two most guilty parties accusing each other! Ha!
lol  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on July 18, 2020, 03:34:42 PM
This one is brought to yoy by the letter B.

Wow, quite an order!  Of these, my favorite music would be the Bax tone poems, the Bliss Cello Concerto and the Colour Symphony.

I have a question about the Meditations CD when you get it: is there a digital "blip" noise at 37 seconds into the first track?  It's there on Qobuz and the samples at Amazon and Presto.

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on July 23, 2020, 07:41:49 PM
Wow, quite an order!  Of these, my favorite music would be the Bax tone poems, the Bliss Cello Concerto and the Colour Symphony.

I have a question about the Meditations CD when you get it: is there a digital "blip" noise at 37 seconds into the first track?  It's there on Qobuz and the samples at Amazon and Presto.

I'll try to remember to do that. It was not shipped until today. I hope it won't take as long as the order from a two weeks ago, which is still somewhere in DHL limbo.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on July 23, 2020, 07:50:17 PM
I'll try to remember to do that. It was not shipped until today. I hope it won't take as long as the order from a two weeks ago, which is still somewhere in DHL limbo.

My JPC order has been sitting in Germany since July 14, waiting for a flight out, I assume.

TD: FLAC download from supraphonline:

[asin]B00EC0VWQK[/asin]

https://www.supraphonline.cz/album/194920-leonard-slatkin-conducts-elgar/flac

The whole set for under $10 (199 kr).  One annoyance is that the files are not tagged at all.

Roasted Swan

Checked my copy of the CD - no "blip" there......

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I already owned the Piano Quintet on another recording, but I bought this mainly for the Violin Sonata.

Biffo

I have the CD and listened to it on headphones played on my PC using foobar2000 and Windows Media Player, also on my CD player - no digital 'blip' detected.

Que

Just ordered at jpc:

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on July 24, 2020, 09:14:45 AM
Just ordered at jpc:

Q

Very good choices Que, all of them, especially the Kuhnau's and the Huelgas recordings, all good stuff.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Daverz

Quote from: Biffo on July 24, 2020, 06:58:02 AM
I have the CD and listened to it on headphones played on my PC using foobar2000 and Windows Media Player, also on my CD player - no digital 'blip' detected.

Thanks, that's good to know.  If you want to hear what I was talking about, it's quite obvious in the Amazon and Presto audio sample of the first track. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bliss-Meditations-Theme-Metamorphic-Variations/dp/B003JL90RQ
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7986316--bliss-meditations-on-a-theme-by-john-blow

If it's not on the CD, it must be an error introduced when creating the digital files distributed to the streaming sites.

Interestingly, I don't here the blip on Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4QWs44RSdNueJZVqfI0tIY

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on July 24, 2020, 09:53:09 AM
Very good choices Que, all of them, especially the Kuhnau's and the Huelgas recordings, all good stuff.

The Kuhnau series was recommend by you, do thanks for that!  :)

Que

With Brexit the recent start of Dutch Amazon is very welcome - the luxury of FREE shipping!  :D

Now I'm looking forward to more (local) market place sellers.

Just ordered:

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on July 25, 2020, 02:26:41 AM
With Brexit the recent start of Dutch Amazon is very welcome - the luxury of FREE shipping!  :D

Now I'm looking forward to more (local) market place sellers.

Just ordered:

Q

What I noticed Que, is that the prices on Amazon Netherlands are higher as on Germany, sometimes the price difference is huge.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."