Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 2684297 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #26680 on: August 01, 2020, 05:56:31 PM »
As hinted at in the Listening thread. Mostly but not completely Alwyn.

[For the Rubbra. I already have two recordings of the Bliss.]

[I didn't get the recording of Symphonies 2 and 5 from that series because it's on back order and because I have a suspicion I already have it.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #26681 on: August 01, 2020, 06:44:26 PM »
Richard Wetz" Symphonie Nr.2 +Kleist-Ouvertüre op. 16   

Claudio Monteverdi: Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria
(Eine Live-Aufnahme aus dem Opernhaus Zürich; Regie: Klaus-Michael Grüber)   

Dimitri Kabalevsky: Symphonien Nr.1-4 + Rhapsodische Symphonie op. 95 +Sinfonietta Capricciosa op. 98

Giovanni Sgambati: Symphonien Nr.1 D-Dur op.16 & Nr.2 Es-Dur

Theodore Dubois: Violinkonzert  +Violinsonate; Ballade für Violine & Klavier   

Mieczyslaw Weinberg: Symphonie Nr. 5
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26682 on: August 01, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »
Well, stimulated by a discussion on Beethoven's Violin Sonatas on PIs in the 'New Releases' thread, I made the purchase below - the attached reviews convinced me vs. some of the other suggestions - hope that I'm right!   :laugh:  Dave

Thanks AMW - I was aware of only several of those PI sets mentioned above - most were reviewed in the Fanfare Archives, and I was most impressed w/ the comments on the Ian Watson & Susanna Ogata performances (attached) - Importcds had the set shown below for $26 (+ $4), so went ahead and made the order!  Dave :)

One suggestion more...  :D And available streaming, I believe.
I've been a very happy camper with this PI performances by Johannes Leertouwer and Julian Reynolds:

Though one could argue about the historical correctness since a 1845 Rosenberger piano is used. More appropriate for Brahms than Beethoven. A magnificent sounding instrument though, and it works for me. :)

Q
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:52:45 PM by Que »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #26683 on: August 02, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #26684 on: August 02, 2020, 04:02:59 PM »
Purchased following concert works by film composer Cliff Eidalman. Music heavily influnced by Phillip Glass.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #26685 on: August 02, 2020, 05:06:54 PM »
The Ippolitov-Ivanov is actually the Naxos reissue. The Taneyev is a Marco Polo original. I found them both in a charity shop (my first visit there since they reopened). Although I can't seem to find if Gunzenhauser recorded Nos. 1 & 3. Turns out the ones I knew about beforehand on Naxos are different recordings, by Thomas Sanderling.
Ok thanks. Ippolitov-Ivanov and Taneyev are both composers whose music appeals to me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #26686 on: August 02, 2020, 05:10:27 PM »
Richard Wetz" Symphonie Nr.2 +Kleist-Ouvertüre op. 16   

Claudio Monteverdi: Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria
(Eine Live-Aufnahme aus dem Opernhaus Zürich; Regie: Klaus-Michael Grüber)   

Dimitri Kabalevsky: Symphonien Nr.1-4 + Rhapsodische Symphonie op. 95 +Sinfonietta Capricciosa op. 98

Giovanni Sgambati: Symphonien Nr.1 D-Dur op.16 & Nr.2 Es-Dur

Theodore Dubois: Violinkonzert  +Violinsonate; Ballade für Violine & Klavier   

Mieczyslaw Weinberg: Symphonie Nr. 5
Which Weinberg recording Paul? His masterpiece I think along with Symphony 6. That Kabalevsky set is terrific IMO. I was delighted to have a modern recording of Symphony No.4 which is my favourite and surprisingly neglected. I consider it to be one of the great Soviet symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #26687 on: August 02, 2020, 05:13:15 PM »
As hinted at in the Listening thread. Mostly but not completely Alwyn.

[For the Rubbra. I already have two recordings of the Bliss.]

[I didn't get the recording of Symphonies 2 and 5 from that series because it's on back order and because I have a suspicion I already have it.]

What a fabulous selection Jeffrey!
Highlights for me from that list would be the Rubbra, Bliss and Bax CD from Hyperion, all the Alwyn's symphonies in fine performances and especially his VC and Rawsthorne's 'Symphonic Studies'.