Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on September 11, 2020, 08:25:36 AM

Details, please. Neither composer not performer ring a bell with me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: JBS on September 11, 2020, 08:48:43 AM
Details, please. Neither composer not performer ring a bell with me.
From the school of late 1800s salon music and piano teacher music, Leschetizky being a touring virtuoso and teacher. Some of his students include Schnabel, Paderewski, Horszowski, Moisiewitsch, and Mark Twain's daughter. I streamed some of the tracks on the album and may buy later - very charming, pleasing, a couple good mazurkas (or maybe they were polonaises). Don't invest if you're looking for big grand sonatas or virtuosity, but if you happen to like this era of piano (I love stuff like Moszkowski and Ignaz Friedman), might be worth investigating further.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on September 11, 2020, 09:13:36 AM
From the school of late 1800s salon music and piano teacher music, Leschetizky being a touring virtuoso and teacher. Some of his students include Schnabel, Paderewski, Horszowski, Moisiewitsch, and Mark Twain's daughter. I streamed some of the tracks on the album and may buy later - very charming, pleasing, a couple good mazurkas (or maybe they were polonaises). Don't invest if you're looking for big grand sonatas or virtuosity, but if you happen to like this era of piano (I love stuff like Moszkowski and Ignaz Friedman), might be worth investigating further.

Spot on!

Quibble: there is only one Mazurka, actually Mazurka-Impromptu.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

JBS

Roasted Swan

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 09, 2020, 05:03:59 AM
For a different opinion, I find the early symphonies with Markevitch OK, but not the later ones. And I'm not particularly fond of Muti's either, though the Manfred is OK. Some favourites are Mravinsky stereo in 4-5-6, Svetlanov's Manfred, Previn/RCA in no.2, the Rostropovich/EMI set, etc.

I still think the Rostropovitch/LPO cycle is sensational - superb late analogue sound recorded in the Kingsway Hall. 

Harry

Thanks to the valuable help of Jeffrey in provided the info I needed I ordered this CD in Finland, where a (beautiful woman) named Hannu, made my life easier by guiding me through the Finnish language. :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

André

You sure it wasn't Hanna ? Hannu is a male first name, yes ? Unless it's neutral, like Claude and Dominique in French...

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 12, 2020, 12:43:10 PM
You sure it wasn't Hanna ? Hannu is a male first name, yes ? Unless it's neutral, like Claude and Dominique in French...

Yes, you're right André - a diminutive of 'Johannes' apparently.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Brian

Hadelich is always great. I hope you like that Immerseel a lot more than I did.

Harry

Quote from: "Harry" on September 12, 2020, 09:50:16 AM
Thanks to the valuable help of Jeffrey in provided the info I needed I ordered this CD in Finland, where a (beautiful woman) named Hannu, made my life easier by guiding me through the Finnish language. :laugh:

I was making a joke about this, see smiley, I just imagined a woman...of course I knew he was a man, Geeshhhh.

71 dB

Quote from: "Harry" on September 12, 2020, 09:50:16 AM

Did you order it from Fuga.fi Harry? Seems to be on discount over there, 15,40 € (normally 22 €).

Hannu is a male name in Finland. Hanna is a female name. If you need help with Finnish language just ask me. Happy to help.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on September 13, 2020, 03:12:00 AM
Did you order it from Fuga.fi Harry? Seems to be on discount over there, 15,40 € (normally 22 €).

Hannu is a male name in Finland. Hanna is a female name. If you need help with Finnish language just ask me. Happy to help.

Yes I did Poju. And for a discount price. Of course I knew about the male variant of Hanna/Hannu. I was just having some fun with this, but several people thought I was in error about this, well all in good fun.
You know Poju I am on the mailing list from Fuga with a password. Hannu told me I can change this if I want to, and he told me what to do, but halfway I was in such a muddle about the words, that I will keep safely with the given password. What worries me more is the fact that the site is totally in Finnish, that will make it very difficult to navigate over it. They will eventually make a English site too, but when, HE= Hannu could not possibly say :laugh:
Of course I will ask you for help when needed, be sure of that!

Harry

Ordered today.

71 dB

Quote from: "Harry" on September 13, 2020, 07:13:00 AM
Yes I did Poju. And for a discount price. Of course I knew about the male variant of Hanna/Hannu. I was just having some fun with this, but several people thought I was in error about this, well all in good fun.

I see. For me as a Finn the Hanna/Hannu is so "self-evident" I failed to see the funny aspect of it, but of course someone coming elsewhere can have a different take on it.

Quote from: "Harry" on September 13, 2020, 07:13:00 AMYou know Poju I am on the mailing list from Fuga with a password. Hannu told me I can change this if I want to, and he told me what to do, but halfway I was in such a muddle about the words, that I will keep safely with the given password. What worries me more is the fact that the site is totally in Finnish, that will make it very difficult to navigate over it. They will eventually make a English site too, but when, HE= Hannu could not possibly say :laugh:
Of course I will ask you for help when needed, be sure of that!

Yes, their site is almost all Finnish with only some basic instructions (Help) in English. Looks like you have had an intense email correspondence with them, but if there is something I can help with (language-barrier-wise) please just ask.  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

JBS

Just now on Amazin MP
Some familiar stuff and some nonfamiliar (for me)
[asin]B084DGK3CN[/asin]
[asin]B07S98JPZW[/asin]

Brian

Oooh, happy to see that Antonini Beethoven has been boxed up. I may just "need" that.